PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I logged on just to mention these, smokingpipes just sent the email and while I love the 14B/Mark Twain lines, have one of the latter from the 80s IIRC, the new "rusticated" version looks like Peterson took a chunk of their worst briar, cut the general shape and threw it in a blender for a spell. I'd hardly call it craftsmanship. No offense to any who find them good looking...

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
I logged on just to mention these, smokingpipes just sent the email and while I love the 14B/Mark Twain lines, have one of the latter from the 80s IIRC, the new "rusticated" version looks like Peterson took a chunk of their worst briar, cut the general shape and threw it in a blender for a spell. I'd hardly call it craftsmanship. No offense to any who find them good looking...
I'm sure nobody likes their new rustication, look at all the 2022 St. Patty pipes (4 pages still) and rusticated Arans that never seem to sell. FUGLY! I don't think they've caught on to it either because of the amount of POYs they made in that finish haven't been touched. Hey Laudisi, If your reading this, fix your rusty process! Sorry, I'm a Pete Geek but ?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I was just looking at them, down to 2 pages of them, does answer the difference between rusticated and sandblasted though, big different, sad they don't have any of the smooth finish but those sold out a long time ago it seems.

Reactions: Commander McBragg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm sure nobody likes their new rustication, look at all the 2022 St. Patty pipes (4 pages still) and rusticated Arans that never seem to sell. FUGLY! I don't think they've caught on to it either because of the amount of POYs they made in that finish haven't been touched. Hey Laudisi, If your reading this, fix your rusty process! Sorry, I'm a Pete Geek but ?
I find the current rustication less than ideal too and would only buy a Pete with it if it was the only finish available on a pipe I really wanted-i.e. no other finish available. That was essentially the case with a Rathbone I bought recently but it's fine as I've really been enjoying that pipe.

Reactions: romaso

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was on the fence about getting one. Happened to see this thread so I went on SP while driving 77 mph barreling 425 miles to home on a two lane road.

Yes, I’m that guy.

Grabbed a sandblast because they were what’s left and only grabbed one because they’re cheap, one hour of driving paid for it and don’t ask me what number, I don’t know. I was driving after all.

When it arrives I’ll look at it, yes the receipt says what it is, but since I’m not excited, but “obligated” with the Mark Twain tie in.

Fun fact, my travels took me through Virginia City Nevada and literally everything in that tourist trap is named after him.

If Peterson had balls they’d make a limited edition Mark Twain Virginia City and it would be a Silver Spigot with Cap and call one of the versions the Comstock.

Yes, I’m tired, I’m home and bourbon is flowing.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I actually am a fan of their new rustication. I like the aggressive hewn look and feel... Much nicer than the pinecone looking stuff they used to put out. For a POTY, I would gun for a different finish, but for a "working" pipe, the new rustication is great (for me)

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I was able to secure a PSB Rua #588/925. I'm extremely happy about that and can't wait to see it!

View attachment 163487

I've been wanting a Rua finish for a while, but haven't had the money to throw down on one until now. I also picked up a Pub Pipe and a few tins. puffy

SP website screwed me again.

Waited for the drop, kept refreshing, saw the Rua I wanted, snagged it and used my saved info to checkout instantly.

Took the time to look at all the others afterwards only to get an email saying:

“Congrats, you bought 0/0 pipes for $0.00. Thanks for choosing smokingpipes”

Other than that one, I had no desire for the others so congrats to you all who did get what you wanted.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I don't buy any Petersons anymore.

Special releases seem have very limited number of decent pipes, and the rest of the pipes are a little overpriced compared what they were previously. Dark stains hiding fills and heart wood ebauchons, ugly rustication, sandblasts are sporadic, with some being better than some of the coveted PSB's in my opinion.

I haven't seen any smooth Roslare Royal Irish or smooth Deluxe Systems like they used to offer with natural finish. Those were some of my favourites.

Hyping up the releases, and then the grab-asstic dog pile to secure a prime example is turning a lot of people off I think. I haven't seen recent releases flying out the door.

Aside from that, there's the drilling. Draft holes 1\3 of way up the chamber and off center. "Hey, that's not considered a defect".

That's just my opinion.