PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'll keep everyone posted. During my digging I'm learning alot about the different types and sources of perique. Maybe the Stokkebye 311 will turn up again somewhere. I'll reach out to them after I try to get ahold of D&R/Mark Ryan.

I'll be glad to hear what your findings. I've been looking for a good Perique source and haven't been inspired by what I've located so far.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I bought some of the Whole Leaf Tobacco Perique a few weeks back and yes it certainly appears to be straight from the barrel. It's a challenge to work with being quite wet. It's nearly impossible to pull the leaves apart and keep them intact. Running it through a ribbon shredder results shag and particles more than actual ribbon. But more importantly the taste really isn't there. It's neither fruity nor peppery, it's not even particularly strong. It's got a kind of mulchy organic taste that I found unpalatable and completely unlike the blending perique I've bought in the past from McClelland.

I've also tried Sutliff perique and didn't find that to be particularly good either, although it's certainly easier to work with.

I'd love to try Mark Ryan Blender's Bench. Not sure if it's available any longer though.
I noticed it was no longer on the website, so I asked Don why and he said he sent the barrel back due to complaints and that it is in the process of being replaced.

My stock is from the first barrel, and I'm still quite happy with it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I noticed it was no longer on the website, so I asked Don why and he said he sent the barrel back due to complaints and that it is in the process of being replaced.

My stock is from the first barrel, and I'm still quite happy with it.

Good, maybe I can get a refund. The stuff I got was fit for composting, not smoking.

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Good, maybe I can get a refund. The stuff I got was fit for composting, not smoking.

I was able to source a good amount of blenders bench perique from D&R, though it seems even that stuff is in a now non-existent supply. I will update when I get it in the mail.

I'm still going to keep an eye out for the stokkebye 311 perique, and for the updated whole leaf perique if/when it returns.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Leafonly has St James Perique in stock

Looks promising but I want to know what this shit tastes before I buy any more perique. My last two perique purchases have been a disaster. Anyone tried this?

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
You can always make your own? Just needs time and pressure

Maybe start here :

Last edited:
Reactions: jhand45
May 2, 2020
Louisiana

Maybe start here :
Oh man, I can’t tell from the pictures, but I really hope he didn’t let that pressure-treated fence post come in contact with the tobacco. I would definitely use something else as a spacer if doing it that way. They put some really nasty chemicals into pressure-treated lumber.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Oh man, I can’t tell from the pictures, but I really hope he didn’t let that pressure-treated fence post come in contact with the tobacco. I would definitely use something else as a spacer if doing it that way. They put some really nasty chemicals into pressure-treated lumber.
There was no contact. The post inserts into the plastic cheese press.