PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
What is everyone's preferred blending perique? Why?

Anyone tried the blending perique from (and branded by) Pipes and Cigars?

Also I've been unable to find Stokkebye Perique (#311). Anyone know a source where I could get some?

Thanks in advance. I've read the thread covering the same topic on pipesmokersden.com and it is not current.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
What is everyone's preferred blending perique? Why?

Also I've been unable to find Stokkebye Perique (#311). Anyone know a source where I could get some?

Thanks in advance. I've read the thread covering the same topic on pipesmokersden.com and it is not current.
Been wondering the same things. I have a recipe I’d like to try out, but I need some Perique.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Others can jump in and correct me but I think Mark Ryan of Daughters and Ryan owns the production of Perique. I would think of regardless of where you buy it, it is coming from him. Granted there is St. James and Acadian (and possibly more) but they are owned by Ryan. Not sure if ownership is the best term here but again someone can jump in and correct if necessary.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
Others can jump in and correct me but I think Mark Ryan of Daughters and Ryan owns the production of Perique. I would think of regardless of where you buy it, it is coming from him. Granted there is St. James and Acadian (and possibly more) but they are owned by Ryan. Not sure if ownership is the best term here but again someone can jump in and correct if necessary.

+1. I don't remember if I read an article or saw a video on it, but IIRC there's pretty much a single source of Perique in the world. I remember seeing the process for how it's made and that really old method for squeezing the leaves.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, I use it in my homebrew mixes, speaking of which, I need to blend up a batch! I usually cut it with a scissors first as the ribbons are fairly long.

The mix, just off the top of my head, Elizabethan Match + C&D Bayou Morning + Louisiana Red + Sutliff Stoved Virginia + a fair amount of the Blending Perique. Maybe some C&D Bright. I'll use Sutliff Red Va. If I don't have any Louisiana Red.

:)

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I bought some of the Whole Leaf Tobacco Perique a few weeks back and yes it certainly appears to be straight from the barrel. It's a challenge to work with being quite wet. It's nearly impossible to pull the leaves apart and keep them intact. Running it through a ribbon shredder results shag and particles more than actual ribbon. But more importantly the taste really isn't there. It's neither fruity nor peppery, it's not even particularly strong. It's got a kind of mulchy organic taste that I found unpalatable and completely unlike the blending perique I've bought in the past from McClelland.

I've also tried Sutliff perique and didn't find that to be particularly good either, although it's certainly easier to work with.

I'd love to try Mark Ryan Blender's Bench. Not sure if it's available any longer though.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I’d try contacting D&R tobacco (Mark Ryan)
They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Took those pictures above at Marks LA Poche facility.

I will try that tomorrow. Previously when I've called for other things they've directed me to Trishas Cafe, so fingers crossed.

I bought some of the Whole Leaf Tobacco Perique a few weeks back... It's got a kind of mulchy organic taste that I found unpalatable and completely unlike the blending perique I've bought in the past from McClelland.

I've also tried Sutliff perique and didn't find that to be particularly good either, although it's certainly easier to work with.

I'd love to try Mark Ryan Blender's Bench. Not sure if it's available any longer though.

That's disappointing.

I have some Sutliff perique in the way (TS20). I'll put it to use but the input seems to be it isn't the best.

I'll keep everyone posted. During my digging I'm learning alot about the different types and sources of perique. Maybe the Stokkebye 311 will turn up again somewhere. I'll reach out to them after I try to get ahold of D&R/Mark Ryan.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon