Perique Lovers: What Are Your Favorite Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
The best implementation of Perique that I've personally experienced is KBV Retrodrive, where Ken mistakenly made a batch of VE Overdrive with Ten Year Perique. St. James Flake approaches that if it has some time on it. And, if even more time is available the two C&D XX Flakes will get there, as they both started with Ten Year Perique -- the Virginias need time to catch up.

If, however, one wants a pepper bomb, many of the afore mentioned suggestions will do. In this regard, Marlin Flake, and Cabbie's Mixture hit the spot for me. Sablebrush's list is pretty comprehensive IMHO.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Old Joe Krantz if you want a burley option.

I was gonna say that, too. OJK really helped me to define the Perique flavor, it’s definitely a dominant player in OJK, and to my tastes the defining characteristic of that blend. It’s a musty, dark, spicy Perique. Almost mushroom-like flavors, maybe from the slightly more unusual pairing of burley and Perique.

Rimboche SJ is a Va/Per that really lets the Perique shine, in a more raisiny, figgy sort of way, and less the nostril burning spicy way that Perique can present itself. Really an outstanding blend that deserves more praisethan it already has.

To me, Bayou Morning does the opposite of the Rimboche SJ, in that it highlights the spicy, hot sauce spectrum of Perique, which at first I didn’t enjoy too much but have come to really appreciate. Not an all time favorite, as I feel like the Perique is just a touch too heavy and dominant, but still a good one.
Haddo’s doesn’t really fit any kind of category in my mind, but is definitely also a Perique forward blend. I find it really, super tasty but only reach for it when the mood hits. Spicy, but also deep figgy Perique combined with that top note...kind of indescribable.

Those are the four blends I reach for when Im in a Perique mood.

Many of the other Va/Per blends mentioned are wonderful smokes but don’t showcase Perique except in subtle hints. I have trouble even detecting Perique in Escudo most of the time, although I know it’s there and I’d miss it if there were none. Golden Sliced has so little that there are still people out there who insist there isn’t any.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Rattray Marlin Flake
Rattray Hal o’ the Wynd
Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake

with orientals:
McClelland Tudor Castle
C&D Sunday Picnic
Low Country Waccamaw

wild card:
GLP Barbary Coast

VaPerBatteryAcid:
C&D Kajun Kake

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
If you're a perique lover that might be what you're looking for.

I could see it putting some people off, depending on what youre after.
I seem to get a lot of fruitiness from the perique in OJK lately. Somebody here described it as "chocolate covered cherries". (I think they forgot to add "that have been pulled out of an old mule's ass.") I still really like it for a righteous, no bullshit smoke, but I've been moving more and more toward Haunted Bookshop. It kind of scratches the same burley-perique itch, but it seems fuller to me somehow.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I seem to get a lot of fruitiness from the perique in OJK lately. Somebody here described it as "chocolate covered cherries". (I think they forgot to add "that have been pulled out of an old mule's ass.") I still really like it for a righteous, no bullshit smoke, but I've been moving more and more toward Haunted Bookshop. It kind of scratches the same burley-perique itch, but it seems fuller to me somehow.
Yeah, I like ‘em both. Never got “chocolate covered cherries” out of OJK either, but it does have lots of flavor, especially if you smoke it super slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.