Perique Lovers: What Are Your Favorite Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve been enjoying the aged Perique in C&D Carolina Red Flake with Perique, too. It has a little less of the hot mustard retrohale thing going on, but still adds some piquant notes and really works well with the hints of balsamic vinegar from the reds.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Salty Dogs
Curly Block
Orlik Golden sliced
Hal O' the Wind
Luxury bullseye flake
Elizabethan
St. James Woods
Old Gowrie
Dunbar
Dorchester

I know that's a lot but Va-Pers are my wheelhouse and ALL these are 9-10s out of 10

This sounds like my regular rotation. We have similar tastes apparently. Curly Block, OGS, LBF and Old Gowrie are some of my regular daily blends.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Have to add McConnell Regent Street...I know it's not popular, but me like it a lot.

I like that one too, quite a bit. I know it is supposed to be an Elizabethan clone but it has much more in common with the old Murray’s Elizabethan than with STG‘s Dunhill/Peterson Elizabethan. If you like Regent Street I highly recommend Sutliff Match Victorian, formerly Elizabethan Match. It was also based on Murray’s Elizabethan and it is almost always available and less than $30 per pound.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Lot's of good suggestions here. Bayou Morning Flake is a good strong Va/per and I've seen it mentioned here. I haven't seen anyone mention C&D's Red Carpet though. I actually prefer it to Bayou Morning Flake but Red Carpet only comes in 2oz tins. So naturally I have more BMF cellared.

Escudo and Peterson/Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are both good classic examples as well in my opinion. Haddo's Delight just stands on its own though, at least to me. I get why it's love it or hate it but I just love it. I've also just personally enjoyed adding perique to VA blends that I find boring. I smoke almost entirely VA and Va/per blends so sometimes an "eh" VA can become an interesting Va/Per with 10% or so perique added to it.

I've also just smoked perique straight, just to see if it was such a big deal as some folks made it out to be. It was very one-note but I didn't find it offensive as other reports have made it seem. Maybe one day I'll get some good clear rum and soak some perique in it to try the real Crowley's Delight.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
RO Perique Series GP-11
Gawith St James Flake
Esoterica Dunbar
McClelland 2015
GL Pease Haddo's delight
GL Pease Telegraph Hill
D&R Rimboché A.B.
Esoterica Dorchester
GL Pease Sixpence
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
H&H Anniversary Kake
H&H Vipratti
HU Old Fredders
MacBaren HH Acadian Perique
McClelland Tudor Castle
Motzek Strang
Rattray Marlin Flake
Gawith Cabbie's Mixture
Peter Heinrichs Curly Block
Petersen Escudo (as opposed to the crap STG is turning out)

To name a few.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Haven't seen GL Pease Fillmore or GL Pease Stratford mentioned yet.

Fillmore is on the spicy/rich end of Pease's Va/Per and Stratford is just sprinkled with it. Both are really great. I tried Telegraph Hill, and while good, I think I enjoy the extreme ends more.

Also, Bayou Morning Flake by C&D is a winner, but Fillmore is much better I think.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
I do enjoy some Perique. The two blends I enjoy most currently are Haunted Book shop and Nightcap, that is just because I’m most familiar with them likely. I’ve been working on the same jarred tin of nightcap off and on since 2015. Every time I reach for it I think it Is the last bowl, but there always seems to be one more.

I’ve got some luxury bullseye flake which hasn’t been particularly standoutish for me yet. I return to it occasionally. I have a few other blends in the cellar that I’ve not gotten around to yet as well.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second Old Joe Krantz, the original, and Bayou Night, both C&D, and Russ O.'s Fire Storm. I like Perique to work its magic in the background, which for me, these do.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, when did Escudo switch to STG. When I began smoking Escdo back around 1998 the tins said AC Peterson I believe. In 2011I bought a bunch, then in 2012 I completed my cellar of Escudo. During that time I bought sleeves of 2008, they came in 5 packs and I think I got 2 or 3 of them.
My youngest is 2012 and I have maybe 30 of those. So how many of these inferior to your tastes Escudo's do I have sitting in my cellar? Thanks

I forgot to add my other favorite vapers.

Solani 633
Samual Gawith St Hames Flake
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
Salty Dogs
Curly Block

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.