PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What happened to Reese's?

My favorite version of Reese's are those ones that come in shapes depending on the season (Christmas tree, pumpkin, etc.). I like how the proportions are weighted to the peanut butter filling. Second favorite is the chocolate chips they make for baking and third is Reese's Pieces.
The chocolate and the peanut butter in Reeses both took a quality hit. Less salt, too, I think. This councided with the huge expansion of Reeses-branded foods and candies. My guess is that there was a shakeup in brand management and the quality-driven managers got the boot.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I love all kinds of snacks sweet or salty - sitting here thinking of things I enjoy with or for meals that I think are "perfect" and just what comes to mind:

1. Chili - homemade, love experimenting but my favorite recipe is in another thread somewhere on here.
2. My mom's homemade ice cream - she hasn't been able to make it for years, but my wife has the recipe and comes pretty close (or maybe she gets it exactly and it's just not "mom's", lol).
3. Homemade bread - just got into baking bread the last few years - crusty artisan loaf and challah are my favorites (maybe I just mess them up less often).
4. Lasagne - maybe this explains my joy at discovering Moussaka because of the layering. Love it homemade and as much as I'll try and experiment at Italian restaurants with different dishes, I'm usually ordering lasagne because I like to see how it measures up and it's my litmus test, lol.
5. Freshly made drop doughnuts slathered in sugar and cinnamon. They are crap when not fresh, haha, but just out of the oil and rolled and rolled in the good stuff it's battle conditions when they hit the table.
Our tastes run along similar lines. I won’t order lasagna out because it’s so often disappointing. Nothing like dear old mom’s. Mousaka is almost always good in restaurants, but on occasion it’s transcendent. Should be made with lamb.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Pecan pie
Banana pudding
English toffee
Sponge toffee
Chick O Stick / 5th Ave. / Butterfinger (all similar)
Appalachian root beer
Aged (at least 3 years, but more is better) Dogfishhead 120 Minute or Samichlaus
Pan Gravy (IF based heavily on very carmelized onions and butter)
Caesar salad
Tortellini Alfredo
Bacon-wrapped scallops
Maple Syrup
Really chunky bleu cheese dressing on medium buffalo wings
Croissants
Warm crusty sourdough with butter melting into it

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The chocolate and the peanut butter in Reeses both took a quality hit. Less salt, too, I think. This councided with the huge expansion of Reeses-branded foods and candies. My guess is that there was a shakeup in brand management and the quality-driven managers got the boot.
I don't have Reese's products often enough to have noticed but still, that's very unfortunate to hear.

• Sad
Reactions: woodsroad

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Galic bread with cheeses
Fried chicken
Double stuff oreo
Cadbury Chocolate from England or most countries, not the Hersey licensed crap from the US.
shortbread
Chocolate angel food cake
Homemade Ice Cream (raw eggs, full fat cream)

Reactions: JOHN72

BlueMaxx

Can't Leave
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
@woodsroad introduced me to something called 'Shit on a Shingle' which I believe is some form of chipped beef. Although I do not eat beef very often that has to have been the most amazing thing I have ever consumed for breakfast in my life.
SOS was served in the Chow Hall every breakfast in the Corps…. EVERY breakfast.
And grits.

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad