PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
As many of you know I manage/run a bike shop now. Well today I was sitting on a stool puffing away overhauling a road bike. It had been fairly slow all day and I was day dreaming when the sound of the door brought me back. This scraggly looking 8 year old and his mom came in. As usual I said hello and said if they needed help to let me know. The boy was looking at children's mountain bikes and was asking me all about bikes. He then noticed my leg from under my cut off jeans. I told him that I had lost it in an accident and he left it at that. While looking at bikes the boys mother apologized for being a bother and said that there was no way she could afford the boy a bike this year. She explained it was only her and we son and her income was just enough to cover bills and grocerys. I felt something about that woman and her son and went over to the boy and told him to pick any bike he wanted. The mother insisted they couldn't pay. I then told her that her money was no good in my store. I told her just keep taking care of her son and if the opportunity should ever come to pay it forward. Her son left with a new bike and helmet and the mother was in tears and gave me a hug. Now the reason I told this story is because when I had lost all my pipes this forums members helped me rebuild my collection. And when I lost my leg this forums members sent gifts. I swore that ever given the chance I would do the same.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I can still remember being that age. A bike is everything. No child should be without a bike just because it can't be afforded.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for sharing this with us. Feels good to know there are still people with caring hearts out there . God Bless ya !

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
A tip of my hat Irish.
It sounds like you really touched them and I hope they pay it forward.
Paying it forward not only helps the receiver but the giver :D

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I manage/run a bike shop now
Sweet !
I need a more tranquil job... I go on vacation, stuff happens. I come back and work is eating my breakfast, lunch and dinner... And stuff happens again. Cut it out guys ! I can't keep up :rofl:
But thanks for sharing man... I needed a good story today ! Appreciate you paying it forward. My wife and I used to support and mentor pregnant teens / single moms. So this one especially strikes a chord. Just when I was giving up on people's honesty.
The mother needed a merciful soul

The boy needed a provider

I needed a good story
You were used mightily today !
Amazing :puffpipe:

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
That was awesome. You and the other guys on this forum definitely motivate a guy to do the right thing. God bless you, bro.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Back when I was 10 or 11 years old, I worked all summer as a bus boy/dishwasher in a restaurant to save up for a new Schwinn 2 speed. I remember one customer (I am sure he was a friend of the family.) gave me a 20 dollar tip to make up what I still needed to pay my share.
How happy that made me and what fun I had riding around that year! You did even more for this kid. Thanks, Irish, for bringing back the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.