PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The Latakia blend is a field crowded with stellar offerings. Gaslight, Quiet Nights, Margate, Pembroke, and Penzance come to mind. Variations like Squadron Leader and SG Navy Flake beg to be included.
Back in the day, I would occasionally watch the Miss America Pageant or the Miss Universe event. I think anyone with an objective eye would have to agree that difference in beauty between first place and also contended, was minuscule, if at all.
I feel that way about English/Balkan blends. Depending on my mood, any of the above mentioned blends are spectacular. Now, I'll have to make room for one more star in my constellation of stellar Lats.
Magnum Opus is a wonderfully balanced, creamy, full bodied, textured and ever changing smoke that satisfies. It is ribbon cut, which makes for easy packing. In my experience, flakes and kakes are more intensely, deeper flavored and MO will not make me change my mind regarding this preference.
But intensity is just one element of judging a smoke and can be easily overdone, especially with Latakia. Now, I enjoy the occasional Latakia bomb but they are too one dimensional for a steady diet.
I've sampled somewhere between a half dozen to a dozen Oullette creations. I think I'm beginning to understand his style. Russ seems to favor balance and riposte between his ingredients, rather than having one element dominate through the smoke. The various tobaccos in his blends seem to appear for a few moments in the spotlight on the little stage in your bowl, then as quickly exit the stage, as another element comes to the forefront. This occurs almost randomly, although there is a predictable profile as the smoke progresses. Keep this in mind when you try his other samples this month and see if you don't agree that ever-changing, dancing flavors are not a significant part of his signature.
In Magnum Opus, the Latakia is always present but seems to step out of the limelight, giving the orientals a turn to shine. The Perique pirouettes in and out, lending a welcome dash of excitement. The Perique becomes more prominent in the second third to final third of the bowl. The Virginias are more steady, the sweet notes always present in a supporting role to the other players.
When I try a new blend in our Tobacco Crawls, I like to practice what I call immersion smoking of the blend. I smoke the blend almost exclusively, at different times of the day, in different pipes, with different beverages.
I'm working on my fourth bowl as I write this review. I started with a Savinelli Collectors 2000, a large size 4 billiard. This was a good match for this tobacco. The flavors exploded out of the pipe and the burn was even, requiring little fiddling. I accompanied this smoke with plain water.
I loaded a Stanwell Stack, maybe a size 3, after dinner. This match wasn’t as successful. The flavors were delicious but muted. Perhaps it would be a good morning match. I had a coke with this bowl and don’t think it was a particularly boon companion.
For my last evening smoke, I used a medium sized Savinelli, a bent apple with a large surface area. The smoke was much improved over the stack, producing billows of flavors. I took this bowl straight with no beverage.
I’m now smoking a Missouri Meerschaum Freehand, which is a large pipe, probably a size 5. It too works well with the Magnum Opus, producing lots of creamy, full bodied smoke. My black coffee is a terrific mate.
I detected little tongue bite no matter how fast or slow, I smoked this blend. You get different effects from smoking slowly versus a faster paste. For me, I got more flavor from deeper puffs than I did sipping.
These bowls were smoked while in seclusion. I look forward to smoking another bowl tonight with some friends, accompanied by a couple of fingers of 18 year old Glenfiddich.
One of the things I appreciate most about our tobacco crawls is that it forces me out of my comfort zone and exposes me to tobaccos that I would not have tried, left to my own devices. Magnum Opus is one such tobacco. It wasn't even on my radar. It is a bit early to say but I think this is another blend that will earn a place in my ever expanding rotation.
Pax

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Magnum Opus Notes:
Tin Note: Yep, it's a English/Balkan, it probably shows how simple my palate is but, ounce latakia is involved all tin notes are the same to me.
Tin moisture: This was a fresh tin from the mail and it was perfect. No drying required.
Packing: I'm going with the three step technique, though I usually stuff and puff till it feels right with ribbon cuts.
Room Note: It reminds me more of a good vaper than a Balkan/ or English. Nice and bready.
First half: A creamy smoke that was heavy in the latakia that subsided into a nice earthy/spicy mix. I didn't notice any sweetness jumping out at me. I though that I was smoking too fast so I tried to slow it down a bit for the second half of the bowl.
Second Half: Now I taste the perique. I think it reminds me of golden raisins, but the taste is so short lived it's hard to tell. The Orientals are still the dominate flavor with the latakia and perique making an appearance from time to time.
Overall: It has already been stated but, I will say it again. Russ O's blends are consistent from the beginning of a bowl to the end. This blend never got ashy, never gurgled, and remained a great smoke. This blend is a little on the dry side(sweetness) for me, but that doesn't mean I will not enjoy this week I am about to spend with it.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
I'm going to jump in here and just mention my first impressions. I'll be a lot more useful with the rest of the blends because I'm much more of a burley and virginia guy, but nonetheless...
My initial impression is just the youth of this blend. Not sure when my batch was tinned, but it tastes young and immature to me. I'm recalling the first bit of bulk Epiphany I smoked from C&D. At the time I was horribly disappointed. But with six months of age on it I reopened my jar and found a blend I couldn't put down for almost two months. This feels like that. My first bowl I'm seldom impressed with a blend, but this hasn't blown my socks off. I do think I'll love it with some age, but I'll smoke it all week and post again once I'm further along.
Moisture content is perfect, tin presentation is great, though I do prefer a white paper insert rather than the black glossy paper on these. If that's not nitpicking I don't know what is, but... Room note is very similar to Squadron Leader.
Thrilled to be joining this party.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome, Amiller.
We have a lot of folks who'll be checking in at different times. Lots of folks will not get to their first bowl until this evening. And considering it is Good Friday, some will be later. But anyone can come in at anytime, as long as they're smoking the blend of the week. I'm on my second bowl of the day.
Pax

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
So I just got home from work and am stoked to try this blend. I will say it is a little moist for my liking so I am going to let it dry out for a little and can start giving input later tonight. I can give a little bit of my impression as to the tin note though.
The tin note is rather strong, does a good job filling up the room when opened. I first pick up the smokiness of the latakia, followed by a mustiness of orientals. I would say they are pretty balanced, it is just that the smokiness is picked up first.
In the background there is a nice vinegar based BBQ sauce tanginess. I am thinking that this is the virginias contributing their part. It is interesting because once I smell that tangy BBQ smell it really comes to the forefront and seems equal in strength to the Latakia and orientals(definitely lat and oriental forward though, I just thought it was neat effect so am mentioning it)
Behind that BBQ tang smell there seems to be some sort of deep fruit that comes in and out(plum would be cliche, but probably the closest that comes to mind). It is really hard to pin down, some sniffs I can get it, but not every sniff. I don't know which player would be contributing that fruit, potentially the perique, but I wouldn't be able to say that with certainty.
Overall, the Latakia and Orientals project a thick dryness and the Virginias combined with whatever the fruit note is fire back with a sharp sweetness.(Dry/Sweet referring kind of like how a dry or sweet wine finishes; if that makes any sense)
So for the Cliff notes version of the summary- Really good tin note.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
These are some interesting takes on my personal blend, because each person seems to find something different in it, but I can agree, to some extent, with each of you. When I was first working in this business, I used to take a tin of Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture, add more Yenidje to it along with some Perique. MO is my current-day version of my old favorite. I'll check back to see what more people have to say.
Russ

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I returned from my hair cut which gave the blend about two hours of drying time. Felt like a really good moisture level so I packed up a no name basket pipe which is a bent billiard and let her rip.
I will not be fully reviewing this blend tonight. This blend is way to complex to try and do it justice with a single bowl. Every time I think I have a profile down I get another element or transition. I will say , I think this blend has something for everyone.
Also, it is deceiving, I feel like we are starting a quiz off with a trick question. The dominance in the tin note of the latakia and orientals does not translate directly into the smoke. They are there, but very well balanced with the other elements.(sure they come to the forefront at times, but not nearly as strong as I had imagined they would have been)
Overall a slight sweetness throughout the course of the smoke. Again, deceiving because the tin note made me think it would have been more on the dry side. (Tin note made me think of Whiteknight, but would say first part of the smoke leans more towards a Fusiliers Ration minus the topping.)
Full bodied, but a clean finish and I am not getting a lot of lady N so I would say this could be a really good all day smoke.
I am starting to feel like this is turning into a review, so I will keep smoking away and then come back with an overall breakout when I have smoked a few more bowls.
I will tell you ahead of time that I will be recommending this blend to others.
Edit: Full bodied might have been over exaggerating a little. Definitely medium to full, but it isn't tipping the scale of "Full".

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've been blessed to have been gifted samples of all the crawl selections from Shanelktown when he came in for a smoke shop visit and I've had the pleasure of trying Magnum Opus twice, in two different pipes and have had two different experiences in the process. My first bowl was smoked in an Radice canted billiard blast that is dedicated to lat blends and with that pipe I was surprised at the overall complexity of the orientals with the Latakia making guest appearences throughout the bowl. The Yenidje is sometimes prominent for a few puffs then it fades to allow another taste twist to develop. I smoked that first bowl down to the very last kernel of combustable leaf and was floored with how deep and complex this blend is. Today I loaded another lat pipe, an Ashton Rhody and this time around I was getting more of a lat forward smoke during the first half of the bowl before things opened up to allow the other orientals to shine through. Again, I relished each puff and I also shared a bowl with my co-worker who has been exploring pipe tobacco for just a few months, he was equally impressed and very interested in hearing the story of who's blend this was and how it came to be. Russ is quickly becoming one of my blending heroes and I must admit that I've cheated a little by dipping into the other crawl samples. More on those later. Magnum Opus is living up to its name and soon going to find a dedicated jar in my stash.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
So I am now smoking some magnum opus from 2012. The first thing I notice upon lighting was the Perique, but as I hit mid bowl a very distinct sweetness. Honestly this to me is like a mouth watering sweet. I am sitting here saying I need more of this blend to cellar. Absolutely sublime right now. I did not think there would be that drastic of change only 3 years on this tobacco. I will say it is still medium for my taste though. The Latakia and orientals are very much in the background. The virginia is what is blossomed right now. I feel like I am smoking a full virginia flake. The Perique does show it's face from time to time. I guess next stop is two pipes at a time one with the fresh tin and one with the 2012. I will update with my findings.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Smoked a couple of bowls of MO yesterday and another on my way to work this morning. The blend has legs. The more I smoke it, the more I can appreciate the distinctiveness and uniqueness of this blend. It is not just another English Lat. I'm not sure yet what makes it standout. The sweetness of the Virginians?
Pax

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Just put in my PAX order this morning. Been busy the last few weeks and totally spaced on ordering. Ready to get into the mix ... when the box arrives.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
@Brass, I know what you mean with that sweetness and I think it might be the Virginias as well. It seems to start off like a Balkan with the orientals sticking out, but then kind of transitions into an English with the Virginias.
Russ, would you classify this as a Balkan or English? I suppose sometimes when doesn't fit directly into either it becomes American. :)

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I kind of avoid the use of English/Balkan because I don't think those terms are accurate, but by the more modern definition, I would consider it a Balkan, based upon the amount of Orientals in the blend, but what makes MO harder to classify is the Perique, which adds some body and a dark fruit sweetness to the blend.
Russ

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Hi, Russ. Brass mentioned you have a new book on blending (?)coming out in the next year or so. Is it to soon to inquire on a printing release date? This would be great news.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Update: MO is growing on me. I have started to pack it looser and smoke it slower and it tastes great. The Virginia's come through better and it smokes a bit sweeter.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
For me, getting to know a blend can go several ways.
1. I don't like the blend from the first bowl and never learn to appreciate it. (Rarely happens with premium pipe tobaccos)
2. The blend doesn't first impress but I grow to appreciate the subtleties offered. (Happens often)
3. I like the blend from the beginning but after a few bowls, it fails to stand out from the pack. (Lots of lat blends like this for me.)
4. I like the blend from the beginning and the blend has legs, that is, I don't get tired of it and I learn to appreciate other qualities as I work my way threw the first tin or two. I think at times my tastes get in tune but another factor may be that the blend has time to dry out a bit by the time I'm close to the end of the tin.
One of the many things I'm liking about Magnam Opus is that the more I smoke it, the more distinctive and unique it tastes. This blend may have been inspired by some old classic tobaccos but I suspect that it is an homage not a copy.
Bit still, as I stated earlier, the taste reminds me somewhat of some of the old pouch blends but is richer and more refined and more interesting and has a moving profile that the old one usually lacked.
Reader's shouldn't be put off by the pouch comparison. I'm just saying MO, to me, brings up nostalgic memories of pipe smoke aroma and tastes from my youth. It is an entirely different animal than say, Carter Hall or Prince Albert.
I do wish I could have tried some of the early blends that inspired Russ to develop Magnum Opus.
Which brings me to a couple of questions for Russ.
1. What ARE some of the blends that you were thinking of when you created Magnum Opus?

2. Do you have any pre-smoke preparation suggestions for this blend?

3. Classic Burley Kake is the next blend we will smoke in our crawl. Do you have any preparation suggestions for this blend? Should we open the tin now and let it breath for a couple of days before smoking on Friday?
Thanks for everything.
Pax

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A great amount of insight from that posting Brass. I agree that MO has some unique sophistication to it. It's not your run of the mill Balkan (I'm calling it a Balkan) and one of its attributes is what I call "a show stopper" essence to it. By that I mean I can be smoking it and having a conversation and suddenly I'm getting these micro blasts of complex flavor profiles that force me to pause and just say Wow! MO is fast becoming a favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.