PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I agree that that the tin note of Fire Storm is of dried fruit and perhaps of cane syrup. I've been through three bowls. One was in a brand new Savinellin pot (size 3), the second was in a Savinelli Collector 2000 billiard (size 4?) and the third was in a Missouri Meershaum Freehand. I won't discuss the new pipe, as it is not broken in as of yet. The billiard rendered a good smoke but, not surprising to me, the Freehand gave me the best experience.
If Magnum Opus and Classic Burley Cake are like Dominican cigars in their smoothness and creamy easiness, then Fire Storm is a Nicaraguan - peppery, spicy, sassy and redolent of camp fire smoke. The Virginias are noticeably present in the beginning but the perique and dark fired burley begin to dominate in the last portion of the first third of the bowl.
By the last third Fire Storm seems to be all spice and the Virginians have receded, leaving me with a very light bite. I can't always tell if I'm tasting dark fired or perique in these blends but the last third or so of Fire Storm is all about pepper and camp fire flavor - very deep and robust.
I'll smoke some straight blending perique and straight dark fired this weekend and see if I can get a clue as to how to discriminate. Perhaps I'll add a bit of perique to the dark fired and see how they play together.
I'll add further notes as I get to know this blend a bit better early next week. I'm out of town over the weekend and will not be posting again until Monday. I will, however, look forward to reading your comments about Fire Storm.
Have a great smoke everyone and enjoy your weekend.
Pax

Notes: From P&C's website, blender Russ Ouellette wrote: While most of the RO Series will be small-batch, limited editions, Fire Storm will be continuously available. I took the Virginias I used in my best-known Virginia-based blend, Anniversary Kake, and amped up the Perique content. Then I added a splash of some very nice dark-fired [Kentucky] leaf. Fire Storm starts out, as does Anniversary Kake, quite sweet, but the spice shows up shortly thereafter and builds gradually through the end, with a peppery finish. If you like bold Virginia/Perique blends, give it a try and you’ll understand the reason for its name.
Brand Russ Ouellette

Blended By Russ Ouellette

Manufactured By Pipes and Cigars

Blend Type Virginia/Perique

Contents Kentucky, Perique, Virginia

Flavoring None

Cut Ribbon

Packaging 1.76 oz Tin

Country US

Production Currently available

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I agree that that the tin note of Fire Storm is of dried fruit and perhaps of cane syrup. I've been through three bowls. One was in a brand new Savinellin pot (size 3), the second was in a Savinelli Collector 2000 billiard (size 4?) and the third was in a Missouri Meershaum Freehand. I won't discuss the new pipe, as it is not broken in as of yet. The billiard rendered a good smoke but, not surprising to me, the Freehand gave me the best experience.
If Magnum Opus and Classic Burley Cake are like Dominican cigars in their smoothness and creamy easiness, then Fire Storm is a Nicaraguan - peppery, spicy, sassy and redolent of camp fire smoke. The Virginias are noticeably present in the beginning but the perique and dark fired burley begin to dominate in the last portion of the first third of the bowl.
By the last third Fire Storm seems to be all spice and the Virginians have receded, leaving me with a very light bite. I can't always tell if I'm tasting dark fired or perique in these blends but the last third or so of Fire Storm is all about pepper and camp fire flavor - very deep and robust.
I'll smoke some straight blending perique and straight dark fired this weekend and see if I can get a clue as to how to discriminate. Perhaps I'll add a bit of perique to the dark fired and see how they play together.
I'll add further notes as I get to know this blend a bit better early next week. I'm out of town over the weekend and will not be posting again until Monday. I will, however, look forward to reading your comments about Fire Storm.
Have a great smoke everyone and enjoy your weekend.
Pax

Notes: From P&C's website, blender Russ Ouellette wrote: While most of the RO Series will be small-batch, limited editions, Fire Storm will be continuously available. I took the Virginias I used in my best-known Virginia-based blend, Anniversary Kake, and amped up the Perique content. Then I added a splash of some very nice dark-fired [Kentucky] leaf. Fire Storm starts out, as does Anniversary Kake, quite sweet, but the spice shows up shortly thereafter and builds gradually through the end, with a peppery finish. If you like bold Virginia/Perique blends, give it a try and you’ll understand the reason for its name.
Brand Russ Ouellette

Blended By Russ Ouellette

Manufactured By Pipes and Cigars

Blend Type Virginia/Perique

Contents Kentucky, Perique, Virginia

Flavoring None

Cut Ribbon

Packaging 1.76 oz Tin

Country US

Production Currently available

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
RO Fire storm is exactly what it is, this blend starts out tasting like anniversary kake, but turns into a spicy love story from the perique about mid bowl. The last third of the bowl the perique tends to fall back and is more noted in the background. The tobacco was very well done and easy to work with no issues keeping this stuff lit. Overall just a great blend by Russ Ouellette and I am looking forward to the rest of the RO series.

This was my review on this blend more opinion I don't go with in depth reviews just opinions.

I will say firestorm really is just an amazing mixture of how it turns about mid bowl giving a pepper storm that hits you but it does taper off still noted but nothing undesirable for sure. This is a great blend and Russ deserves a lot of props on this blend because it is amazingly good. So since I have spent a good couple weeks with this blend and the other blends I will give my two cents and will finish up my opinions on this crawl. Mostly because I have a long week coming up. My favorite blend in this crawl was magnum opus I just loved how sweet this blend became over some time of aging. My second favorite was firestorm I just loved how this blend transformed throughout the smoke. I just feel this is something a lot of tobacconist miss. I think many go for a consistent flavored smoke throughout the bowl as opposed to trying to make a blend that transforms. The third was El Niño I did however enjoy this blend but it is truly an enigma on the pallet and leaves you always guessing. Lastly the classic burley kake is one I really did not enjoy as much as the others. I am not a huge burley fan to begin with although this is a burley blend I did not mind. Overall great job on getting this together it was fun to participate and I will be finishing this firestorm this week. So a big thanks to Pax on getting with vendors to make this possible and a big shout out to Russ on just making some phenomenal blends that I really enjoyed. Happy smoking everyone and looking forward to the next crawl.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks, Shane. It has been a pleasure reading your posts and we look forward to hearing from you again. The next crawl will be in June. I sense doing the crawl month after month takes the shine off. Details will be coming soon.
Reminder that anyone who has smoked Fire Storm can join us.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
8O Oh.......My........Goodness. This is some tasty stuff.
If Magnum Opus and Classic Burley Cake are like Dominican cigars in their smoothness and creamy easiness, then Fire Storm is a Nicaraguan - peppery, spicy, sassy and redolent of camp fire smoke.
A truly great comparison brass
How long did you guys leave yours out to dry? I had a little less than an hour on mine and probably should have gone a little longer as I did have some issues at first with keeping it lit and burning a little hot. I should have known better too, it felt too moist when I packed it I just didn't want to wait any longer.(It just smelled so darn good)
Chalking the first one up to user error; I have a feeling the next bowl will be a much better burn.
The transitions on this blend are amazing. It felt like I was smoking 3-4 blends on top of each other. I think more to come on that description after I get another bowl or two down.
I don't think it is going to be for everyone as the tail end of the bowl does get pretty deep and robust with flavors, but I wouldn't be surprised if it developed a cult like following.
Great amount of creamy smoke output. Lady N is present, but, I felt she hovered right at the relaxed state, I never really got to sweaty palms or head rush stage.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Of the four blends we had, it took me longest to appreciate/enjoy the CBK. That's typical for me and new burley forward blends. The others, more immediately distinctive, found a happy spot right away.

For all day smokes, I could live with any of these.

Tin note I get from Fire Storm initially, is vinegar. Digging my nose in deeper I detect an earthy sort of fermentation reminiscent of aromas I continue to dredge from my days as a hand on a dairy farm when I was a youth.

The grains and the sawdust and the hay, and of course those organic smells cows always produce.

I think it's the Perique that gives me that tongue pucker sense right in the middle of my tongue. That effect seems less pronounced than when I smoked El Nino. The Virginia melds perfectly with the other components giving this spicey blend sweetness and balance and the dark fired provides the burley components we all know and love.

I'm so glad I joined this crawl and got to experience these tasty blends with you all.

Happy puffing!

Mike

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I finally got to spend a few days with the El Niño, just in time for everyone to have moved on.
This was a really great blend with its shades of everything. The latakia and VAs were most noticeable to me, but since there was a tasteful cacophony of flavors none ever seemed to dominate. It was a delicate balance that went back and forth and in circles. A flavor was come in and be replaced by another quickly.
Top notch, @Russ, on El Niño. It's quite good.
Maybe I'll get to try the next tin before April is over.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome Cmdr. How are classes?
I've been smoking Fire Storm over the weekend, mostly while driving. It is very satisfying but I think I'll need to sit down and focus on a couple of different smoke before I can add much more.
I see that the bundle Russ put together for this months's crawl is still being offered.You basically get one of the tin's free or a 25% discount that includes one tin each of Magnum Opus, El Nino, Classic Burley Kate and Fire Storm. Don't know when the offer ends but don't think there is a rule against ordering the bundle twice.
It is basically an easter egg on the pipesandtobacco.com site. Enter Pax in a search field or click here to go direct:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/search/?q=pax

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
It's hard to add anymore to what's already been said. Fire storm is definitely my kind of vaper. I still think I like anniversary kake more.
My big surprise is still el nino. It's going to be hard putting these in an order.
I have also been pondering something. Russ, have you ever thought about making some of your blends in flake form? Fire storm flake has a nice ring to it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've enjoyed the blends offered. I'm smoking the Fire storm right now and it's a satisfying blend that is in my wheelhouse as a Va/VaPer fan. Has me ready for summer where I can enjoy a warm or hot day on the patio listening to tunes, drinking some beers and smoking my pipes.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I''m glad for the feedback on Fire Storm. It's been very successful, so far. I've done a number of cakes, and might try a flake, but pressure doesn't always help a blend. Also, they're very labor-intensive, so there are inevitable delays in the supply chain. That said, I don't think you've seen the last cake/flake from me.
Russ

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I didn't get a chance to try Magnum Opus yet, but my favorite of the three has to be the Fire Storm.
Firestorm

CBK

El Niño
All three are solid blends that I enjoyed.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
On average, I think flakes and cakes are richer, deeper and tastier than ribbon cut. There are exceptions both ways of course. And then there is the tactile feeling and aroma that comes with cakes and flakes, that add to the experience. I have a list of 50 flakes and cakes that I'm working my way through.
Pax

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
On average, I think flakes and cakes are richer, deeper and tastier than ribbon cut. There are exceptions both ways of course.
I agree with this, but to add my .02 to it; I find that flakes/cakes are usually more monochromatic when in that form, likely due to their flavors melding. They can't be beat when you find the flavor profile you really like though. I find if looking for a lot of transitions of flavor, like in the blends Russ picked, I would usually have to look more to a ribbon cut or similar.
That being said, I still prefer flakes and cakes for some odd reason.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
My favorites out of the April selection were Magnum Opus and Fire Storm with the latter being the surprise winner hands down. This is a blend that just hits all the buttons at exactly the right time throughout the bowl. I've smoked in cobs and briar and each pipe seems to reveal little secrets during the smoke. CBK is also a well done burley and El Niño is for me just ok. It's different strokes for different folks but for one blender to offer 4 blends and 3 of them are winners to this smoker is just amazing. Thanks Russ and I look forward to sampling more of your hard work.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'll offer a few thoughts regarding this month's picks.
As a little background, and as mentioned elsewhere, I like variety. But to avoid having several dozen tins open at anyone time, I'll have 5 or 6 open, each tin from a different style of tobaccos. So, I'll have open one Lat blend, one aromatic, one burley, one Vaper, a VaBur, a Lakeland, etc. I have an ever expanding rotation of some of those blend styles. For example, in English/Lats I'll rotate through Quiet Nights, Gas Light, Penzance - when I can get it - and Margate.
I also have a few go-to blends that I always have on hand. Escudo, Squadron Leader; SG Luxury Navy Flake, and Quiet Nights.
Ok, now to Russ's blends.All were 4 star blends. No dogs here.
I liked Magnum Opus so much so that I will likely drop Margate from my English/Lat rotation and replace it with MO.
Classic Burlye Kake has become my top burley blend. It is now one of my go-to blends that I keep on hand at all times.
El Nino is in a class by itself and is also one I plan to keep on hand as a go-to smoke.
While I like Fire Storm, there are other VaBurs I like as well. But it is still good enough that it will occasionally appear in my VaBur rotation.
I'm very happy that Russ decided to participate in our Tobacco Crawl. I found two new go-to tobaccos, and four 4 star blends. As in this month, in past crawls, we would try four blends a month. I normally would find one blend that I liked enough to buy again. This month the score was 4 out of 4, with two or three being regular smokes.
I've also learned that I can't choose tobaccos based on listed ingredients. I would have never ordered Magnum Opus (delicious) or El Nino based on the literature or content description. I would have bet Fire Storm would have been my favorite out of this month's picks, but while an excellent product, it didn't capture me like the others. And I don't generally like the average aromatics or burley but Classic Burlye Kake has already become one of my favorite blends of any category.
So, while it might be elementary, I realize there is no way of knowing how much you'll like a tobacco until you smoke it.
Finally, not only have I found some new favorite blends, I've found a new favorite Master Blender. Thanks Russ.
Pax

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
To elaborate on my earlier comment about Firestorm seeming to be 3 or 4 blends on top of each other; I feel it starts out like a virginia, develops a little into a VaBur, the perique then kicks up a bit giving it a VaPer quality and then finishes off deeper still. A really fun smoke.
Overall, if I were to rate these based on their perspective blend categories I would rank them:
1) Classic Burley Kake- (Funny because not my fav. as I am not a big aro fan, but for the category of aro-burley blends I think it would be hard to beat)
2) Magnum Opus- the transitions set this blend apart from other english blends out there.
3) Firestorm - transitions again make this blend stick out
4) El Nino- mainly because it kind of is it's own category.(So I guess could have been 1st place too if looking at it that way)
From my own personal taste perspective I would rank them:
Magnum Opus

El Nino

Firestorm

Classic Burley Kake
I am tempted to say a tie for 2nd on El Nino and Firestorm because both have really good transitions and get deeper flavors as the bowl progresses. I went with El Nino because when I wasn't sure which of the 4 to smoke I just somehow ended up picking that one more often.
Classic Burley kake is still growing on me, I am actually smoking a bowl as I type this. Again, I am really surprised by that as I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I am.
I want to thank Russ and Brass for making this possible; it was a really fun journey and I was able to find some blends that are getting added into the rotation.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, CBK was the biggest surprise to me as well. I really don't care for burley blends but this one is a winner.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I enjoyed them all. The tin that is lowest is the CBK. I've been allowing myself that indulgence over the others, but only because of its comfortable simplicity and the fact that it always takes me a few bowls of a new burley to get into its profile.

I've got a bowl of Magnum Opus burning as I write this. It is amazingly flavorful, smooth and cool.

This bowl will satisfy me for awhile. That's what these blends do for you.

If Magnum Opus is anything like what Russ smoked in his early years, I'm glad he became a blender and paid tribute to his first love with this blend. I'm glad I had breakfast before smoking this, because it does have a Nic hit toward the end. It's lovely!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
We've all rightfully shown Russ our appreciation for co-hosting this month's crawl. But I want to thank each and everyone of you for your participation asw well.
Without your feedback and reviews, the crawl is nothing but a list of tobacco blends. You've made this month's crawl congenial and educational. I've looked forward everyday to read of your reactions to the blends and to the camaraderie shared in this virtual club.
I hope you all come back in June. The guide will a blender from C&D. I will post his resume and details as soon as I have them.
In the meantime, I believer everyone here has found at least one blend, and most of us more than one blend, that will be added to our regular rotation.
So, years down the road, whenever you light a bowl of Magnum Opus, Classic Burley Kake, El Nino, or Fire Storm, think about us when taking the first puff or two.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.