PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I can foresee myself liking El Nino. Has a lot of everything in it. The tin art is a nice design as well. I'm a sucker for well designed labels, that's just the marketer in me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Crawl for May?
Looking ahead, SmokingPipes staff will host the June Crawl, featuring C&D selections.
We will also have a month featuring Boswell blends. Should we do the Boswells in May or would you prefer we do the crawls every other month? If so, we'll do the Boswells in August.
Pax

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Every other month would be ok with me. I have trouble getting through a tin each week because I only smoke maybe once or twice a day in spring/summer/early fall. By the time the next pax rolls around I have tins that are forgotten about for quite some time.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
El Nino started out with two goals in mind - 1) to create something with robust body, and; 2)to balance the components so that no individual tobacco was the star. I initially described it as a hard-to-define blend, and customer feedback since its release indicates that I had accomplished my goals. As you go through the bowl, different tobaccos will take the lead, but only momentarily. Any of you who have tried my blends over the years know that I like making tobaccos that morph as you smoke them, and I think El Nino fits the mold.
Russ

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
One more post for CBK before the El Nino hits. I have had CBK for a couple of years. I have two or three 8 oz. tins of it. This is such good stuff. It is one of my favorites. I like burley, and this is the best that I have tasted. I'm not familiar with anise so I'm not sure that I tasted that or not. I do taste the cocoa and the nuttiness of the burley. The two together is absolutely yummy. Today I smoked half and then had to go somewhere, and resumed the second half after dinner. Absolutely wonderful. Easy to smoke, burned great. No fuss. Stayed lit with ease. Nice creamy smoke. I love the crumble kake. This would have to be one that I could smoke all day if I was limited to one blend, it's that good to me. I like all types, and wouldn't prefer to smoke just one type or one blend all day as I like variety, but, if I had to, this would definitely be one of my top preferences. Say Russ, I got this back couple of years ago when P@C offered the three for two price on the H&H signature blends, on the 8 oz. tins. Any chance you will do this again with some of your blends? That was a great deal!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Note to readers: If you smoke any of the blends mentioned, feel to drop in and join the conversation. And just because we've moved onto another blend doesn't mean you can't comment on one of those we've smoked previously.

Initial Impressions of El Nino

I opened the tin and was very excited about the rich, diverse aroma wafting from the container. I don't know what stewed prunes smell like but I've heard blends described this way often, and it would probably be appropriate for El Nino. The complex tin note was earthy, reminding me of Christmas fruit cake and nut cakes - maybe egg nogg?
I let the blend breath for a half hour before packing some of the ribbon cut blend into a 4 dot Sasieni pot. It was ready for smoking - drier than the typical GL Pease blend by comparison. It took a minute or two before the flavor began to assert itself.
I caught the light sweetness of the Virginians mixed with the dark spiciness of the dark fired burley. Midway through the first third, I was rewarded with voluminous, billowing smoke - more than some natural wrapped cigars. As I progressed through the entire bowl, the flavor became fuller and the Perique a bit more noticeable.
My beverage of choice for the evening was Svedka mandarin flavored vodka and grapefruit juice. Don't knock it until you try it. The first bowl was so good, I got another drink and loaded up a Savinelli billiard, maybe a size 4 bowl. I wasn't noticing a lot of complexity but I was enjoying the well melded flavors. I considered having a third bowl but it would have pressed me past my bedtime.
I did enjoy another bowl, this time in my MM Freehand cob, on the way to work this morning. I noticed a little tongue bite from the previous evening. Not bad enough to stop me from finishing my morning smoke but it was present. I don't know if there are yellow Virginians in the blend or not. I think I'm a bit sensitive to them. Since I enjoyed the Classic Burley Kake without issues, I'm assuming it wasn't the Kentucky Dark Fired I was reacting to.
Oh, and since no one mentioned any bite problems with Magnum Opus or CBK, I would assume that both of those blends were very kind to the tongue.
Preliminary verdict - Another fine Oullette blend. Let's see if it has legs to carry me through the week. I'm already missing my morning CBK.
Pax

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Great point on the bite I have yet to notice any bite on Russ's blends. I will be getting into the El Niño Spanish for (the Niño) later tonight.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
CBK...I'm tasting Maypo. I don't know if anyone recalls this product, but it is a maple 'flavored' hot cereal product I remember from you ute. Translation, I guess would be a little sweet and nutty. Tasty.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Ok first impression with El Niño is the Perique that's the first thing I noticed. The Virginia in this does provide a mirage of sweetness. This is a very complex blend and really does change throughout. I'm going to have to spend more time with this blend to really get a feel for it. The Kentucky's are there in this I wanna focus on them.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
To finish out CBK; I will say it grew on me quite a bit. I am still not a huge aromatic fan, but I would say it would be at the top of my list if/when the mood serves. I found it humorous as one of my favorite treats are the candied nuts one would find at the fair. Barleynbaccy found that profile in this one while I still am getting predominately cocoa notes(which others aren't picking up).
For my first impressions of El Nino I would say that I was extremely impressed by the tin note. Brass hit the nail on the head as far the description goes w/ stewed prunes.(I didnt get much egg nog though) Definitely one of the better tin notes I have encountered.
Oddly, for me, the depth and richness of the tin note didn't translate directly into the flavor of the smoke.... at first :) The first third of the bowl felt somewhat muted, I was actually at a point that I thought maybe the pipe I chose was taking away from the experience as there was a lot of smoke output throughout, it just didn't feel there was a matching amount of flavor. Shortly into the 2nd third things really kicked up. The flavors deepened and transitioned between the virginias and kentucky, it was a fun smoke. I got a little tingle sensation on the tongue(not bite) which I think was the Perique, but am not positive because at the time the flavor was more virginia.
+1 on shanelktown's comment of it being a complex blend that changes throughout.
Brass mentioned thinking it may have some yellow virginias, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. So much going on that hard for me to call them out distinctly, but I am getting more of a yellow vibe than red. (Funny because I am finishing the last third of my second bowl and trying to pull out the virginias as typing this, I keep having to edit my sentence because going back and forth as to if they are yellow or red)
Great burn; medium body after it develops a little; I didn't notice any Lady N

LOTs of smoke output too- good stuff.
Oh, I mentioned that I am towards the end of my second bowl. I did have to give it a second run right away to make sure the experience with the first third of the first bowl wasn't due to the pipe. I found a little more flavor to start in the second bowl, but still felt like it takes a while to develop.(So I will attribute that as the calm before the El Nino storm)

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Well here I am again and needless to say El Niño just keeps myself guessing on what leaf I am smoking. Russ accomplished his job if that is what he set to do with this blend. I just really smoke this blend and really become puzzled as to what I am smoking. Positive side I like the mystery of El Niño very neat.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I'm not a fan of the tobacco's on the crawl list, however, Russ, why is it that your version of Trout Stream maintains its sweet integrity far longer than other blenders, I was taken to believe it was a formulae handed down for some time now and has versions recreated by many blenders. Out of respect I will not name other blenders I have purchased Trout Stream from.
Also I congratulate you on your Great Dane blend, it is so nice, just wish the pouches were larger than 1.5oz, I can't keep up with it as I have to import it to enjoy the fullness of flavour

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This is my first 'crawl' and I'm very happy I jumped in line for the exercise. I might not otherwise have tasted these blends and the idea that a group of us are tasting the same blends makes for community.

Fortunately, I've enjoyed these blends quite a bit. I had some more CBK this a.m. in a cob that I allowed to stay in fairly chunky condition and slow smoked my way through some mellow and tasty burely. Truly a premium burley blend right here.

I've had some bowls of El Nino too. Each one has been near magic. This is an oriental/lat...lat/oriental..va spiced masterpiece of blending. Never overwhelming, so that each bowl tempts you into reverie without realizing why.

My tongue gets a sensation I'm at a loss to describe which involves the back center portion. Not a puckering, but something I kind of suck on and taste. Retro-haling this blend is bringing that same sensation to the top of my mouth and releases both a flavor and slight acridity. The acridity is likely a combination of things and just lingering enough to notice. As I get into this bowl, I suspect I'm becoming more 'used' to whatever ph changes I'm experiencing and developing my own sort of 'cake' within my mucosa, as the acridity diminishes to more of a nasal tingle, yet that sense that I want to suck my tongue remains.

This burns very nicely. I'm using an unmarked blasted apple that looks to be a Grabow w/o the stinger.

Clenching now and breath smoking...reverie is made difficult when you're trying to analyze. I'm beginning to sense nicotine as the flavors do deepen, remaining smooth, mellow, smokey, and intricately spiced.

I'm still smoking a dry bowl as I near the heel. Many a bowl I smoke by this time sounds like rice krispies.

I don't think I've generated a lot of saliva during this smoke. It's really got legs, this blend. I'm tempted to let it go out, to put off too much Vit N...but I want to make sure I smoke this one completely.

I usually smoke cobs and my habit is to allow the last portions to go unsmoked. Habit develops.

I guess you could say that this blend is as busy or uncomplicated as you would want to make it. It's really good tobacco blended to perfection that any Latakia lover should try.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I had mentioned that the first two bowls I had seemed to start out rather light on flavor and eventually developed. I am thinking that might have just been some sort of weird coincidence as to what leaf ended up on top when I packed the bowl. The third bowl I had seem to start right up with some perique. Seems to be/have been the luck of the draw. Regardless of how it starts the flavors do develop further as the bowl progresses which is nice.
I find it to be a really easy low maintenance smoke. It is complex, but for some reason while I am smoking it I don't try to pick it a part and figure out what is going on(like I felt when I was smoking magnum opus) I just ride it out and enjoy. Good stuff.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you have a hard time putting your finger on El Nino, then I did what I set out to accomplish. I wanted the blend to have its own identity.

Regarding Trout Stream, I didn't come up with the blend, but I'm glad you like it. As far as the Missouri Meerschaum blends are concerned, we're looking into larger bags.
Russ

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have tried posting my review twice to just get an error so I'll give my highlights and try again later.
Like Magnum Opus it was dry enough for me right out of the tin. I get a nice anise flavor in this, that I only get from tobaccos like PH Dark Strong and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.