PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I just got my sampler today and since I have another tin of firestorm coming I had to try it out. Needless to say RO series firestorm is such a unique treat. I will not go any further until the time comes to discuss this blend.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hello Shane:
Thanks for holding off - although I'm predicting there will be plenty of comments here at PipesMagazine about Firestorm before the scheduled April 24th kickoff date for the Tobacco Crawl.
And Welcome to the Crawl, Beast. I see you're relatively new to PM. Whether you're a newbie or a seasoned pipe smoker, I think you'll find the Crawl welcoming, entertaining and informative.
Pax

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yes there will be I have seen a few reviews already on this blend. I know Dion had posted one on here. Anyways I'm excited about all of these blends.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I was originally on the fence as I got the "TAD talk" from the Mrs. not too long ago, but given I already had all of these on my must try list and Russ worked to get a discount it seemed the stars aligned enough to justify feeding the TAD monster just a little more(of course it only seemed right to add some other items onto the order to get the free shipping :) )
Needless to say I may be abstaining from getting the spouse's opinion on the room note this time around. :)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
My wife is coming around, although she would not be happy to read this. Yesterday, I mentioned to her that I needed to use her Discover card to pay for my latest TAD order, since the Vendor only takes Discover and Visa, not Mastercard. (Peculiar, but another thread).
Anyway, when I told her the details of the latest order, her only response was, "Only $40?" So, I'm not sure what that means about my current mental condition, but apparently my wife is now conditioned so as to be relieved when tobacco orders are "only $40."
BTW, Beast, how many times has that "free shipping" for orders of $95 manipulated you to impulsively pad your original order by an extra $40 or $50? Sneaky bastards. I know what they're doing and I still fall for it.
Pax

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Yep, I held off for a while, but last few times I have been padding it to break that $100 mark.
My justification is that tobacco is never going to be cheaper or taxes lower than they are today; so if you have something on your must try list and can afford it....get it.
And my wife understands that and is supportive, sometimes it just adds an element of danger thinking you are going to get in trouble. :)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
This crawl sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

I was hoping to join in but P&C doesn't ship to Canada unfortunately.

Looks like I'll be watching this one from the sidelines.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Jkrug, send a PM to CmdrMcBragg. He is our unofficial TinMaster and frequently organizes tin shares for the for the crawl. You don't have to be left out in the cold. :lol:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Week one: Friday April 3, 2015: Magnum Opus - H&H Marquee
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipe-tobacco/72925/hearth-home-marquee-magnum-opus/#p-157098
From http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4298/hearth-home-magnum-opus
The Latin term Magnum Opus loosely translates to “masterpiece”, and this is how we, and our early testers think of this new release. Magnum O! is a blend of Cyprian Latakia, excellent yellow Virginias from the U.S. and Bulgaria, Izmir, Basma and the “Queen of Tobaccos”, Yenidje. Then we add some Perique to give it more depth and smoothness. Here’s a quote from well-known pipe and tobacco collector Fred Goldring, who tested Magnum O! during development: ”I immediately searched my mind to recall what vintage tobacco this sample best represented. Every time I put a name to it the blend again changed and the taste shifted to another and yet another blend from the past, all of which I stock in my cellar and all of which I enjoy very much. I decided to smoke the last half of the bowl that I started the evening before. Believe it or not the second half was more magical than the first. I walked in and out of my smoking room a number of times this evening and each time the exquisite aroma of this blend became more apparent. If you make a ton I will purchase half. This, my friend is a world class tobacco born out of the magic of Russ O”. We sampled this blend to a number of people at the CORPS, West Coast and New York pipe shows, and the feedback was overwhelmingly enthusiastic. The flavor, aroma and burning characteristics have been almost universally praised. Give Magnum O! a try and we feel confident that you’ll be back for more.
Brand Hearth & Home

Blended By Russ Ouellette

Manufactured By Pipes & Cigars

Blend Type English

Contents Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia

Flavoring None

Cut Ribbon

Packaging bulk, 1.5 oz tin, 8 oz tin

Country US

Production Currently available

Where to Buy PipesAndCigars

Product Image

Strength

Mild to Medium, Medium

Flavoring

None Detected

Taste

Medium to Full

Room Note

Pleasant to Tolerable

Favorite Of 10 Users

32 reviews Reviews

4 star: 26

3 star: 5

2 star: 1

1 star: 0

Sort By

HELPFULNESS NEWEST OLDEST

STRENGTH FLAVORING TASTE ROOM NOTE

Please LOGIN to review this blend.

Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note

King Weed (50) 2013-09-05

★★★★

Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
GETTING EXCITED!
My plan is to try to go the rest of the week without smoking to have a fresh palate. I can't wait until Friday!
It is going to be hard not to jump ahead either.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Holy crap I have been busy, and I thought it started last Friday. So I jumped on here to let you guys know I would be opening my tin tonight to get started... and it still hasn't started lol.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
We're almost there. The crawl starts Friday, April 3rd. Your impressions, comments, short observations or full blown reviews on Magnum Opus are welcome. If you can't post your impressions tomorrow, do so when you have time. Anyone can participate, as long as they're smoking the featured tobacco of the week - Magnum Opus in this case.
It would be rewarding for all if you can smoke all the tobaccos selected for the April crawl but not required.
Hopefully, Russ Oullette, the Master Blender who created Magnum Opus and the other April selections, will drop into tomorrow to comment on his blend and perhaps answer your questions.
Oh, and it would be impolite not to give a nod of appreciation to Pipes & Cigars for supporting Russ and Pipes Magazine for making this months crawl possible. I appreciate the discount offered to our members. It wasn't necessary but still, I think I can say for all, we're appreciative.
Have Fun and Happy Smoking!
Pax

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'll check in tomorrow for your feedback. I'm always interested in what people have to say, good or bad.
Russ

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Magnum opus is a true medium based English. The Latakia is forefront but not overpowering in this blend. The orientals are noted throughout this blend and the Perique is very mild. The tin note is a good leathery note much like many good English blends have. The tobacco is just right for my liking from the tin and did not require any drying out. This blend smoked very smooth and was very enjoyable. I just recently got a Mario grande volcano freehand and had the pleasure of breaking it in with the magnum opus. Needless to say this style of pipe really opened this blend up for me. Upon light I got a good sweetness with an almost cigar taste but still had a BBQ from the Latakia. I would say about mid bowl retrohaling the Perique decided to say hello with a nice enjoyable pepper note.I have smoked a few bowls of this blend and never really got the Perique to come out that much but the volcano did the trick on this one. The orientals I feel in this blend just play a good mix with keeping the Latakia at bay. I think this about a lot of blends because for some reason if it's Latakia and oriental I find the Latakia is tamed down. The room note for me was pleasurable but I'm sure non smokers would not approve as they tend to with most English blends. Anyways this was smoked fresh from the tin and I have some of this blend that has 3 years of age and will be smoking that a little later. I will update once I do so. I figure I will fill two pipes up one from the fresh tin and one with the three years of age. I hope everyone enjoys and happy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.