PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Visiting the Louvre (along with a million other tourists on the day) and wandering through some of the less visited galleries in the basement there was a pervading miasma of sewage from the Seine in the air 💩
What year? I was lucky enough to visit the Louvre when the wait to see La Jocande was a minute or two. Couldn't believe how small it was- in 1963. (probably no bigger now! :) )

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What year? I was lucky enough to visit the Louvre when the wait to see La Jocande was a minute or two. Couldn't believe how small it was- in 1963. (probably no bigger now! :) )
@10 years ago
I was there late November - away from the maddening crowd (but not at the Louvre) 😏
The weather can be quite schizophrenic in autumn. Shorts and sandals in the Rhone Valley and Provence, then back into woollens in Paris a few days later

Reactions: jpmcwjr

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
It's an OK sort of place apart for the fact it is full of French people! I was there in the late 90s and a client took me to a rather smart restaurant and since he spoke "Paris Talk" he ordered me the speciality of the house. It was unfortunately Steak Tartar. I sent it back and asked for it to be cooked. The waiter was horrified and inquired if I was British. When I affirmed the statement he asked me if I wanted my 'Amburger' well done as he tried to hide his disgust!

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's an OK sort of place apart for the fact it is full of French people! I was there in the late 90s and a client took me to a rather smart restaurant and since he spoke "Paris Talk" he ordered me the speciality of the house. It was unfortunately Steak Tartar. I sent it back and asked for it to be cooked. The waiter was horrified and inquired if I was British. When I affirmed the statement he asked me if I wanted my 'Amburger' well done as he tried to hide his disgust!
At a small bistro in Arles some years ago la patronne was doing the rounds of the tables and inquiring if people were enjoying their meals.
A very English voice replied “Yes, once (he) got over (his) surprise that (his) marrow was NOT a vegetable“
MY grilled BONE marrow was finger licking delicious 😁

Reactions: jpmcwjr

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
My sister in law is French. So is the wife of one of my best friends. They are both lovely people.
This kind of comment either shows up either your own ignorance, or that of your client, rather than that of the restaurant staff.
Your client ordered you a well known, however divisive French dish, possibly to obtain a reaction from yourself. It was either done deliberately or your client wasn't very well versed in 'Paris Talk'.
If I was waiting on you, and you wanted to send a dish back to the kitchen simply because it wasn't what you thought it was, then I would happily oblige, but you would be paying for two meals instead of one.
Did you have to ask your 'Paris Talking' client what the tall pointy iron structure was called, and did you trust them enough to tell you the correct name?

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
You could easily say New Yorkers are rude and obnoxious. Of course you would be wrong. Some are, but there are some lovely people as well. Its far too easy to overgeneralize from limited experience.

People from Paris dont represent the entire population of France any more than people from Mahnattan represent the entire US population and its values.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My sister in law is French. So is the wife of one of my best friends. They are both lovely people.
This kind of comment either shows up either your own ignorance, or that of your client, rather than that of the restaurant staff.
Your client ordered you a well known, however divisive French dish, possibly to obtain a reaction from yourself. It was either done deliberately or your client wasn't very well versed in 'Paris Talk'.
If I was waiting on you, and you wanted to send a dish back to the kitchen simply because it wasn't what you thought it was, then I would happily oblige, but you would be paying for two meals instead of one.
Did you have to ask your 'Paris Talking' client what the tall pointy iron structure was called, and did you trust them enough to tell you the correct name?
My views on the 'French' have been formed from years of having to interact with them. Whilst I am not a total 'Alf Garnett' when it comes to the French I find them to be incredibly annoying, especially those who reside in Paris. I have often commented on here that I used to visit the long departed meerschaum repair shop in Paris in the early 1980s which has sadly been replaced by a Starbucks. The owner of that establishment spoke English and was a WW1 veteran, I was trying to find the shops card only the other day to see if anyone else remembered or ever visited the place. In general French cuisine is I am sure delightful but not something I have any interest in since I prefer my food bland since my wife is from Finland. Your assessment of my former client is sadly correct and caused me to chuckle. With regard to the tall pointy thing made of iron I thought Victor Lustig sold that to a syndicate of scrap metal dealers years ago!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jpberg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Back to food.... When I live in Manhattan 40+ years ago, Steak Tartar was a fav., couple times a month.

Had it only a couple of times since moving West. Perhaps there's too much liability serving food that is a good host for bad things. Or maybe I need to up the class of restaurant I frequent!

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Many comments here are spot on. I spent a lot of time outside of Paris and I loved the people. Very friendly, helpful and caring. Loved the countryside and the food. Someone said the truth…Paris is not France.

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Or we could also talk about NBC's attempt to make the broadcast appeal to younger folk... The only presenter I feel should be there was/is Mike Turico. Too many crap "personalities" for my druthers. I won't name my least favorite, but she was/is a singer and is very "bubbly"

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Which one? Quebec? Tranna? Montréal? Ottowa?

Do you think you could put your actual location in your profile instead of something cute?
That'd be the Queen City.

Yes, I am perfectly aware that I can put my location in said field. Reason I don't it's because it's never been my habit to broadcast personal information online. I put something "cute" because I do resent being pushed into doing something that is totally a personal choice.

GardenStateoftheArtBriar

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2024
New Jersey
French people are quite misunderstood - known many - sweet people
as for France or Paris - never been nor do I plan on it - especially with their form of 'strange 21st century liberalism'

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
That'd be the Queen City.

Yes, I am perfectly aware that I can put my location in said field. Reason I don't it's because it's never been my habit to broadcast personal information online. I put something "cute" because I do resent being pushed into doing something that is totally a personal choice.
And if you don’t put your info here it will certainly remain a secret.
Good call.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And if you don’t put your info here it will certainly remain a secret.
Good call.
Yeah, ironic.

If you've ever googled anything, bought anything, looked at any online map, posted comments online, your information is known in far more detail than is available here. Possibly right down to the room you use when online.

I ask folks to put in their location as it's a courtesy to others. I won't repeat the many reasons here as I've posted it frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.