PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
USA
Yeah, ironic.

If you've ever googled anything, bought anything, looked at any online map, posted comments online, your information is known in far more detail than is available here. Possibly right down to the room you use when online.

I ask folks to put in their location as it's a courtesy to others. I won't repeat the many reasons here as I've posted it frequently.
Maybe the courtesy would be to respect the wishes of those who do not want to put in their location. In a voluntary field.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
Without doubt. I try to dispel the ignorance that some have wrt so disclosing.
It is a courtesy to others, a concept that is lost on a few.
A courtesy to others is a false modesty. I get to do what is allowed by the site. If I don't want to display my location, I don't have to. Pressuring me to is more of a virtue signal than I like to do. If I don't want to do a voluntary thing, I shouldn't have to. Do what someone else wants Leave those of us who want to keep our location private be. I'm tired of some unknown person pressuring me to do what they want. Ban coming soon

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
My views on the 'French' have been formed from years of having to interact with them. Whilst I am not a total 'Alf Garnett' when it comes to the French I find them to be incredibly annoying, especially those who reside in Paris. I have often commented on here that I used to visit the long departed meerschaum repair shop in Paris in the early 1980s which has sadly been replaced by a Starbucks. The owner of that establishment spoke English and was a WW1 veteran, I was trying to find the shops card only the other day to see if anyone else remembered or ever visited the place. In general French cuisine is I am sure delightful but not something I have any interest in since I prefer my food bland since my wife is from Finland. Your assessment of my former client is sadly correct and caused me to chuckle. With regard to the tall pointy thing made of iron I thought Victor Lustig sold that to a syndicate of scrap metal dealers years ago!
It's amusing to see that during the 80's, you were so knowledgeable in the niche world of meercham pipe repair within Paris, that you knew the best shop to peruse to undertake a repair, however were completely unaware of one of the signature dishes of France 10 years later.

jackattack

Might Stick Around
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
I was in Paris for New Year's in 2004 and couldn't find a place to drink beer. Every place was a nightclub that wouldn't let us in because we were wearing jeans, or they didn't serve beer, or they were full, etc... We ended up at a smallish bar full of Brits and Aussies and had an amazing time.

Reactions: AroEnglish

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do what someone else wants Leave those of us who want to keep our location private be
You are on here at the sufferance of the site owner, at his expense. If you can't abide the rules why in the world stay. This isn't your site and the courtesy of following the owner's rules is certainly reasonable and should be mandatory. If you can't live within the rules ask the owner to change them to your satisfaction.

Reactions: captainsousie

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I feel compelled to say my location is not Paris! 😀

Never been, not really on our list.

Spent a couple days in the country and 8 days and nights in London now almost two months ago - should have planned for a few more days but it was terrific.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A courtesy to others is a false modesty. I get to do what is allowed by the site. If I don't want to display my location, I don't have to. Pressuring me to is more of a virtue signal than I like to do. If I don't want to do a voluntary thing, I shouldn't have to. Do what someone else wants Leave those of us who want to keep our location private be. I'm tired of some unknown person pressuring me to do what they want. Ban coming soon
Sorry you feel abused.

But one of my points is that your location is not private. Anyone with a desire to find out can do so. And exact location isn't asked for.

By stating it in your Profile, it's simply a convenience for others, and helps preclude others asking you; more useless posts.

Anyway, I am done with this subject. If you have comments or questions, you can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.