PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Anyone every have an issue where P&C will ship some items and something else not being included. I bought a pipe which claimed to be in stock - they didn't include it and notified 'will ship when available' what a bitch? Every happen? inventory issue? Just plain balls?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All my PC orders have been complete and very prompt; shipping is a little sketchy right now, to retailers from wholesalers and from retailers to customers, so if it comes along in a reasonable amount of time, that is probably just the fortunes of war. Maybe I've just been lucky, but PC has been efficient for me.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I have had this happen, did not get charged for the unshipped item. I would call them and cancel the unshipped item if you don't want to wait...who knows how long that could be...

I've seen some orders sit 2-3 days in limbo before moving along but P&C usually does me right.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Anybody that’s made the mistake of purchasing from them too often has suffered from their horrible POS system and shoddy customer service. I learned my lesson and they haven’t Gotten a penny off my money for over a year.

I still order from P&C on occasion, but this has pretty much been my experience as well.

I will add that smokingpipes.com has become my go to. They've got excellent customer service in my experience, and they are a sponsor of this website as well. I am one of those sticklers who think that a pipe should be able to easily pass a cleaner from button to bowl, and customer service reps at SP have been willing to test them out for me upon request on the couple of occasions where I asked. IMO that's very generous customer service.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've spent a few grand over the last 3 years with P&C. I've had exactly 2 issues, which they've handled to my satisfaction.

That said, shipping time means little to me. I have plenty of tobacco and pipes and don't care if they take a day, a week or a month.

They are the Walmart of internet tobacco sellers. Low prices and service. Know it going in and let it bother you not.

1599774178690.jpeg

I've never had an issue with ordering tobacco from P&C, but it has been a while, since they always seem to be out of either my cigars of choice or tobacco that I am looking for. But, my problem with ordering pipes from them is that they don't show you the exact pipe you will be getting. Maybe one factory pipe represents the whole lot of them in stock (or maybe not in stock). I think some of their pipes are the genuine pipe you will get in the higher end of pipes, but Smokingpipes always shows you the exact pipe. There's no question what you will get or whether it is in stock.

Now, I don't want to sound like a fanboy of theirs. Smokingpipes is a top notch company to deal with, and they do still support this forum. So, if I sound like a bootlicker, let the chips fall where they may. Supporting us being able to chat like this means a lot to me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, you kind of need to know how they work in order to avoid this kind of issue. I really don’t like their system. Why would they let you buy something that they don’t have in stock?! It always ends with the customer being frustrated. That being said, this happened to me once, they resolved the issue and now I know to look for the words “in stock”. I still like them and use them but I do wish they would just go ahead and change their system already!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Now, I don't want to sound like a fanboy of theirs. Smokingpipes is a top notch company to deal with, and they do still support this forum. So, if I sound like a bootlicker, let the chips fall where they may. Supporting us being able to chat like this means a lot to me.
If it’s between P&C and Smokingpipes, then SP for the win, at least in my book. And I’m not boot-licking, either. They were my preferred vendor between the two, even before I joined the forum and found out they were a sponsor. I’ll still use P&C if the sale is too good to pass up, or if they’re the only retailer that has something I’m looking for, but the shipping times are glacial compared to SP, and SP has always been very helpful on the rare occasion I have to email someone.
All that being said, I like to shop with a few smaller operations, too.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Yeah, you kind of need to know how they work in order to avoid this kind of issue. I really don’t like their system. Why would they let you buy something that they don’t have in stock?! It always ends with the customer being frustrated. That being said, this happened to me once, they resolved the issue and now I know to look for the words “in stock”. I still like them and use them but I do wish they would just go ahead and change their system already!
When I sold TV's back in the day - at a decent e-commerce operation - that was referred to as bait and switch and steering.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
When I sold TV's back in the day - at a decent e-commerce operation - that was referred to as bait and switch and steering.
So maybe they are doing it on purpose? It seems to piss people off more than anything. There have been countless threads over the years regarding P&C all of which are usually negative.

But hey, now you know what to look for. I’d say just get a refund because you don’t know if that pipe will ever come back in stock and if it does it can take a long long time.

I think if they didn’t have Russ there they would have lost a large population of the pipe smoking community by now. Russ is their saving grace but he can’t solve all their problems.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
plus they've got Russ Oulette - a top of the line blender
Though I'll no longer touch them, many of his blends are available at other retailers as and a lot of them are available in bulk.

Now, I don't want to sound like a fanboy of theirs. Smokingpipes is a top notch company to deal with, and they do still support this forum. So, if I sound like a bootlicker, let the chips fall where they may.
Bingo.

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
I recently bought 4 bags of their Admiral pipe tobacco. It was promised a sutliff leather tobacco pouch would come with each. I got the tobacco but not the pouches. They won't respond to my customer sevice request and their phones advise they are temporarily shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.