PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ooh thanks, didn't even know that shop was there!

As far as Piedmont, I went there once last year. Happened to be in the neighborhood and decided to pop in. I took a quick look around and grabbed a tin of Escudo since I had none at home. THIRTY DOLLARS plus tax. For fifty grams. I thought about putting it back but went ahead and bought it. Probably won't be back there anytime soon though. Too rich for my blood.
Their costs are higher, as excise taxes increased substantially last year, and the Bay area municipalities all have extra fees, so that may account for some of the cost.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
if you read this thread it's kind of comical, honestly.
people have such a hard-on for some of these blends that they cellar so deeply and indiscriminately that they buy up everything on speculation.

the best thing people could do is to never buy second hand tobacco at more than retail price.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
This calls to mind an earlier post about scarcity of Samuel Gawith.

My answer is, and continues to be, the nascent Asian (Chinese) markets.

There is a finite amount of tobacco but a massively expanding market. There are 350 million Chinese smokers. Even single digit percentages of pipe smokers represents millions of consumers.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think you are right about that too because before 2 years ago all this stuff was much more readily available.

I'm guessing they can sell it there at more of a profit and it's probably cheaper to ship there because it can be sent by rail.

Reactions: geo4

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I agree with the B&M faithful but it comes with a price. I don’t mind paying extra if it keeps their doors open, in fact I go out of my way to drive there when I can. Retail price is a reasonable trade off for sitting and chatting. Last time the owner let me try a bowl of Penzance from his personal jar stash. Can’t beat that kind of atmosphere.

Sadly they take a hit on their business because Florida has a criminal and downright offensive 85% tax. I bought a few tins of Esoterica and a few others like Hal o the Wynd (on the shelf! In stock!). But dang it hurt ringing that one up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
if you read this thread it's kind of comical, honestly.
people have such a hard-on for some of these blends that they cellar so deeply and indiscriminately that they buy up everything on speculation.

the best thing people could do is to never buy second hand tobacco at more than retail price.
Market prices are set primarily by buyers, not sellers. If buyers weren't willing to pay 500% or more over original retail, prices would drop. But people, enough people, are quite willing to pay 500% or much, much more to spend on hard to find tobaccos. So one either pays extra or passes.
And, like I wrote earlier, business and product go where there's the most ROI. With pipe tobaccos, for now, that's Asia.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I agree with the B&M faithful but it comes with a price. I don’t mind paying extra if it keeps their doors open, in fact I go out of my way to drive there when I can. Retail price is a reasonable trade off for sitting and chatting. Last time the owner let me try a bowl of Penzance from his personal jar stash. Can’t beat that kind of atmosphere.

Sadly they take a hit on their business because Florida has a criminal and downright offensive 85% tax. I bought a few tins of Esoterica and a few others like Hal o the Wynd (on the shelf! In stock!). But dang it hurt ringing that one up.

This is true, it hurts to buy a tin in Florida at twice the price you can buy it online.

Reactions: lightmybriar

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
This thread pops up with some frequency and I wanted to add a point that I haven't seen addressed before.

The present discussion relates to hard to find blends. But, I don't think the majority of folks are concerned that these blends aren't regularly in stock. Here's a sample from our most recent pipe club on what people were smoking and passing around: Half and Half, Warhorse Bar, Firestorm, 50/50 Amphora/Prince Albert, Dunhill Nightcap, Boswell's Northwoods, Argango Balkan Supreme, RLP-6, Presbyterian, GL Pease Penny Farthing, C&D Bijou, McClelland 5100, Pelican, Macbaren Burley, Tabac Manil Semois, GL Pease Maltese Falcon, SG Squadron Leader. Of these, only one is no longer manufactured and one is hard to find. And, the folks who brought these blends also have hard to find blends at home: original Balkan Sobranie, Motzek Strang, Esoterica.

Or, if one likes frustration, one can switch to looking for hard to find bourbons and the good times that come with that experience. ?

Im not passing my unicorns around at a shop. That’s the stuff I want to get rid of ?

Oct 7, 2016
The Samuel Gawith shortage is fictional. Watch City has had a good selection, stayed up for over a week, and Ernie took off the quantity limits. Still has most of it. I got Bothy, Lakeland Dark and Golden Glow on 1/7 from Ries. I got boxes of two different SG blends on 1/8 from Mars. 2 Boxes of Skiff from Pipes and Cigars on 12/31. Tobacco Pipes has sold out of most of their drop, but they still have 7 different blends in stock. 4Noggins has some. Boswell’s has a lot. In fact, damn near the whole range. And if you want to call around, I have heard The Briary is loaded with at least the tins, though I haven’t checked with them in a while. You might not have to make another call.

The Asian market is real, it is expanding, but for a variety of reasons the US market is still desirable to the relatively smaller companies like Germain, Gawith, Dan and K&K. They are sometimes ill served by distributors for whom it takes a back seat to cigars, what used to be clove cigarettes now sold as small cigars, and vape juice. But at least for SG, the supply situation started to improve six months or so ago. It isn’t a Unicorn anymore.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Im not passing my unicorns around at a shop. That’s the stuff I want to get rid of ?
Haha. I get it. Come over to the Arizona Pipe Club! Here's a list of what's been passed around in recent memory: McC 40th Anniversary, McC 5100, Pelican, Escudo from 1999, Motzek Strang, Christmas Cheers going back to 1995, and the list goes on. We also bring baggies so guys can take stuff home. puffy

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
From your statement I have inferred that you deem Samuel Gawith and Esoterica as "not really great brands"?

Nope - these are two of the best, IMHO!
I will add, as some others have said, that pipe tobacco prices in Florida are crazy high. That's why Pipe shops in my home state are almost extinct. An interesting contrast is that Florida has no state cigar tax - one of only five in the country.

• Angry
Reactions: Elric

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there are essentially no local B&Ms in the NY area. Nat Sherman stocks its own bulk blends and very few tins of any sort. Haven't been to Barclay Rex downtown, and will need to check that out but I'm not optimistic that they have a large tin selection. The only pipe shop Northern NJ (Ridgewood) which has lots of its own bulk blends but not a lot of tins.

Blends that aren't readily available here are available abroad -- I picked up SG and other hard to find tins in Italy and Israel.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I don’t complain or think anything of it. I find something else to smoke. Now when SG decides to do SLAP from now on, I might get the hoarding itch.

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
Haha. I get it. Come over to the Arizona Pipe Club! Here's a list of what's been passed around in recent memory: McC 40th Anniversary, McC 5100, Pelican, Escudo from 1999, Motzek Strang, Christmas Cheers going back to 1995, and the list goes on. We also bring baggies so guys can take stuff home. puffy

y’all meet which Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.