PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
In browsing various sites over the past few days, I've noticed a lot of this for several of the premier pipe tobacco brand blends. Unfortunately, nowadays it is almost expected for the HTF / Unicorns to perpetually be out of stock, but it's surprising to see complete lines of not really great brands to be out. I remember just 2-3 years past when SP regularly had the entire line of Esoterica, SG and most others available. Now, mostly what the title says.

Reactions: Razorback
From your statement I have inferred that you deem Samuel Gawith and Esoterica as "not really great brands"?

What do you deem as great brands?

Tobacco seems to be released in cycles from the smaller, boutique type houses and depending on its popularity, gets gobbled up pretty quick from the paths with the most exposure (READ: The Internet Commerce sites).

Your best bet is to try larger B&M tobacconists. Most have these things called Telephones. You punch in a unique number and you are connected to them. Of course this requires you to speak on the telephone with a live person and some find that a daunting challenge. :)

Only the brave find what they want in stock almost anytime they want to buy it.

Just saying. puffy

What are these “numbers” you speak of? These days I only dial names.....

Funny you should mention that....

If you put a gun to my head and told me to recite any of my kids' cell phone numbers, my pick or you would shoot me, I. Would. Be. Dead. rotf

"Numbers? I don't know no stinkin' numbers!" puffy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In browsing various sites over the past few days, I've noticed a lot of this for several of the premier pipe tobacco brand blends. Unfortunately, nowadays it is almost expected for the HTF / Unicorns to perpetually be out of stock, but it's surprising to see complete lines of not really great brands to be out. I remember just 2-3 years past when SP regularly had the entire line of Esoterica, SG and most others available. Now, mostly what the title says.
A few years ago people were bitching that Esoterica blends were gone in sixty seconds or less at SP. None of that has changed. The panic buying and hoarding for that brand has been going on for over a decade. As for other premium brands, like Samuel Gawith, they're been available sometimes and out of stock other times. I remember in 2014 when you couldn't find Wessex Campaign anywhere, nor John Aylesbury Luxury (now called Classic) flake, nor F&T Cut Virginia Plug, nor a lot of other popular blends. And that's been true every year for one blend or another. Supplies wax and wane.
But if you're really desperate to get ahold of the rare stuff you can always move to China. That's been a growing market and that's where a lot pf product goes. Businesses sell their goods where they can get the best rate of return.
There is an alternative. Find B&M's that carry what you're looking for. It's often in stock at the same time the big online sellers are out of stock. Take the case of Esoterica blends. I don't waste my time trying to buy them at SP or other popular online stores. I buy them at B&M's where they sit for days or weeks, not seconds. And I pay regular retail, not inflated scalper prices. I may pay a few bucks more than with Mars Cigars, but I have them to enjoy.
If you want to pay the least amount possible, which is entirely understandable, you're going to be the worst rate of return, and last in line.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean

Leaving aside the actual product of pipe tobacco, it probably makes complete marketing sense for online retailers to keep out of stock, discontinued and obsolete products (even 'coming soon' products) listed on a retailers website, at least while its still something customers search for (regardless of how long they haven't had it) in order to keep directing the online search traffic to the site and ensure that retailer is included in the search results for xyz
(after-all how many times have you ended up on a website that didn't actually have exactly what you searched for but you stayed for a look around anyway)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you really want it, work for it. Monitor the main internet retailers and the smaller ones. Develop the B&M contacts. Expand your horizons. You can get blends from Estervals for example. It shouldn't matter that it may take 5 or 6 weeks. There are other good blends that are most often available. There's more to life than Penzance and Campaign Brigade Dark Flake.

If you're patient and diligent, you'll eventually find what you want. I was looking for Astleys No 44 for nearly a year. Then, in a three week period, I managed to buy 40 tins. I also got over 30 tins of Campaign Brigade in that same time frame. The other thing is, save your money so when opportunity knocks, you can buy more than 2 tins. Over time, you'll build your cellar with those "out of stock" brands.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you really want it, work for it. Monitor the main internet retailers and the smaller ones. Develop the B&M contacts. Expand your horizons. You can get blends from Estervals for example. It shouldn't matter that it may take 5 or 6 weeks. There are other good blends that are most often available. There's more to life than Penzance and Campaign Brigade Dark Flake.

If you're patient and diligent, you'll eventually find what you want. I was looking for Astleys No 44 for nearly a year. Then, in a three week period, I managed to buy 40 tins. I also got over 30 tins of Campaign Brigade in that same time frame. The other thing is, save your money so when opportunity knocks, you can buy more than 2 tins. Over time, you'll build your cellar with those "out of stock" brands.
+1

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

This is correct. Even though waiting for something can be painfully torturing, it gives you something to look forward to in life, which is important ?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Funny you should mention that....

If you put a gun to my head and told me to recite any of my kids' cell phone numbers, my pick or you would shoot me, I. Would. Be. Dead. rotf

"Numbers? I don't know no stinkin' numbers!" puffy
My 7 year old daughter knows mom's number, my number, our new address, and city.

I still forget our new address sometimes.....

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
This thread pops up with some frequency and I wanted to add a point that I haven't seen addressed before.

The present discussion relates to hard to find blends. But, I don't think the majority of folks are concerned that these blends aren't regularly in stock. Here's a sample from our most recent pipe club on what people were smoking and passing around: Half and Half, Warhorse Bar, Firestorm, 50/50 Amphora/Prince Albert, Dunhill Nightcap, Boswell's Northwoods, Argango Balkan Supreme, RLP-6, Presbyterian, GL Pease Penny Farthing, C&D Bijou, McClelland 5100, Pelican, Macbaren Burley, Tabac Manil Semois, GL Pease Maltese Falcon, SG Squadron Leader. Of these, only one is no longer manufactured and one is hard to find. And, the folks who brought these blends also have hard to find blends at home: original Balkan Sobranie, Motzek Strang, Esoterica.

Or, if one likes frustration, one can switch to looking for hard to find bourbons and the good times that come with that experience. ?

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I recently called my local B&M, Piedmont Tobacconist, owned by Steve Richmond who apparently helped create Esoterica tobaccos.

I asked if they had any Esoterica blends in stock (I've been itching to try Ramsgate).

Not sure if the gentleman was joking or not, but his reply to whether or not they had any Esoterica blends in stock was "Oh we stopped carrying that stuff awhile ago" ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recently called my local B&M, Piedmont Tobacconist, owned by Steve Richmond who apparently helped create Esoterica tobaccos.

I asked if they had any Esoterica blends in stock (I've been itching to try Ramsgate).

Not sure if the gentleman was joking or not, but his reply to whether or not they had any Esoterica blends in stock was "Oh we stopped carrying that stuff awhile ago" ?
Steve Richmond commissioned what became the Esoterica line, from Germain's. They don't carry that much stock of anything, anymore. You would probably have better luck with Telford's.

geo4

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2019
As others have said, the best way to obtain these blends is through your local B&M. As for calling them directly, that may work with some. My local B&M will ship anything nationwide, except for Esoterica and other Germain's blends, which they reserve for regular customers. If you call them about these blends, they will tell you they don't have any.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Steve Richmond commissioned what became the Esoterica line, from Germain's. They don't carry that much stock of anything, anymore. You would probably have better luck with Telford's.

Ooh thanks, didn't even know that shop was there!

As far as Piedmont, I went there once last year. Happened to be in the neighborhood and decided to pop in. I took a quick look around and grabbed a tin of Escudo since I had none at home. THIRTY DOLLARS plus tax. For fifty grams. I thought about putting it back but went ahead and bought it. Probably won't be back there anytime soon though. Too rich for my blood.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As others have said, the best way to obtain these blends is through your local B&M. As for calling them directly, that may work with some. My local B&M will ship anything nationwide, except for Esoterica and other Germain's blends, which they reserve for regular customers. If you call them about these blends, they will tell you they don't have any.
Which is why I suggest to people that they become a regular customer of a B&M, even if it's by phone. The stores I've bought from are fine selling me the unicorns because I buy all manner of stuff that I need. They don't sell unicorns to strangers and I don't give out their contact info because they've asked me not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.