Others Experiencing Long Delivery Times From Europe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
My parcel from Greece looked like it hadn't arrived in the USA until it left the Chicago international distribution center. Chris Asteriou, who had sent it, had checked with the Greek postal service and they told him that there's an international tracking system that is inaccessible except to post offices and that my package was in Chicago and had been for weeks. I'm betting that their claim is true. I have my beautiful Asteriou bulldog now, but am waiting for a 1921 amber-stemmed Dunhill Bruyere which mailed from France a couple weeks ago. According to USPS, they have only been informed that the package is coming. The French postal service indicates that it left the country on July 2nd. I'm guessing that it's in Chicago.

Correct Craig as I stated above my 3 parcels all arrived at Chicago and waited about 3 weeks before being updated on the USPS and greek post websites.When I enquired with ELTA the Greek post they were able to give me more details information.
I had a parcel for Italy that had not updated but I was told dates and times of flights as it had passed through Germany and France to Italy.
It is a pity that these updates dont show on the public tracking

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
I definitely recommend picking DHL when available it’s been worth the extra money. Ordered from GQ Tobacco on 7/2 and was in my hands in TX 7/9. It actually made it to Houston 7/4 but the holiday weekend must have slowed it down.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The Esterval order I placed on May 28th arrived expectedly on July 3. It took actually 30 days for tracking to show that it had arrived at U.S. Customs in New York and another day for it to say it had been transferred to USPS.

I say it arrived unexpectedly because USPS tracking both sucks and is inaccurate. The tracking on the morning of July 3rd showed that it had departed New York City and was "In Transit". It was delivered to my doorstep shortly after lunch.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Just about two weeks ago, I ordered a Tomasso Spanu Olive wood pipe. I bought the pipe on an impulse, and never once thought about the Wuhan-Flu screwing up delivery. The pipe is coming from Italy. I'm in the USA.

I think I might have a long wait, ahead. If I have any at all, "Patience" in not one of my virtues...

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
you will probably get an update in the next 10 days after it has been scanned in US customs.All of my parcels from Greece to US recently have taken about 6-7 weeks total time

Sounds good to me. I don't mind the long wait.

Reactions: bnichols23

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Definitely a significant slowdown. I checked my DSL tracking on my latest order from Estervals. It sat for two weeks at one DSL facility before being moved to its Frankfurt facility where it continues to sit. So after 3+ weeks, it hasn't left Germany.
I'm thinking DSL should update it's motto to "when it absolutely positively has to sit there."

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
So my parcel from the danish pipe shop cleared customs in Chicago yesterday and was delivered to my house this morning... except they did the phantom doorbell ring gag and left a delivery notice instead.

I REALLY don’t like signature required parcels.
Guess I’ll pick it up Monday.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Just about two weeks ago, I ordered a Tomasso Spanu Olive wood pipe. I bought the pipe on an impulse, and never once thought about the Wuhan-Flu screwing up delivery. The pipe is coming from Italy. I'm in the USA.

I think I might have a long wait, ahead. If I have any at all, "Patience" in not one of my virtues...
I think it depends on the method of postage.I have had 2 parcels from Italy that although going half way around Europe .Italy,France,Germany Greece have arrived in 6 days each time via FEDEX .Italian post then Greek post 3 weeks.
I have read of Italy to US via FEDEX in 5 days delivered to your door just this week on another forums POTY thread

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
My two BriarWorks parcels posted back in May (USPS) arrived in Austria today - 2.5 months transit time.
The other parcel from Greece posted back in June (ELTA) arrived last Friday - 1.5 months transit time.

Etsy order shipped with DHL Express from Portland (OR) Friday morning arrived 2 hours ago in rural Austria.
Transit time - 4 days. :ROFLMAO:

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I'm waiting on 3 orders from the US (all USPS)...

Ordered 6th May, sat in NY until 18th June then reported as process in Roissy, France. WTF? I live in Brazil, why on earth would USPS send it to France? (I don't actually believe it's left NY; my experience of USPS tracking - at least for international deliveries - is that it is usually not based on scanned events and is simply made up.)

Ordered 1st June, USPS reported it arriving in São Paulo on 8th June which was just wishful thinking on their part. It actually arrived in Rio (direct from US) on 16th and finally processed by customs today (9 days is pretty quick for Brazilian customs...). Hopefully should arrive early next week.

Ordered 11th June, USPS reported this one as arriving in São Paulo on 16th June which was news to Correios Brasil. It actually landed in Rio on 23rd June.

Oh, and I have an order (a couple of watches and not pipe related) from Russia which left Christopol on 24th April and has been stuck in Moscow since 27th April - it cleared Russian customs on 29th April but there haven't been any flights since then.
Well the tobacco order on 6th May was delivered 20 minutes ago and no evidence on the parcel that it had a European vacation enroute! So finally all of my outstanding packages have arrived.

• Haha

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
The new normal of international shipping using national post offices is definitely worse than the old normal--slower, with less (and less reliable) information in transit, and less assurance packages will reach you (not to mention a much longer wait before you can reasonably conclude something's lost).

Since the middle of April, my experience with a dozen small packages (equally divided between pipe-related and expensive books, and sent variously from Germany, France and England), suggests 30-35 days is new transatlantic "normal" to New York.

Two packages out of twelve (both untracked) were lost.

Customs processing both outbound and inboard, more often than not, involves blackouts of anywhere from 4-7 days to a month (the latter seems to be the standard outbound delay for whatever DHL service is used for Esterval's "bargain" €50 shipping rate).

And finally routing can be utterly bizarre (now, instead of JFK only, I've had packages routed via San Francisco, Chicago, and Newark too), with some packages receiving inexplicable weeklong sightseeing tours through post offices in the South and Midwest after clearing US customs.

In sum, obviously any private sector carrier is better than national post offices right now, tracking is essential, and if you are able to postpone a purchase or find a domestic source, that's probably the prudent thing to do.

Unfortunately, with all my own international purchases--even my tobacco order from Esteval's--I was buying something either hard or impossible to buy here, and often one-of-a-kind and/or long sought. And, moreover, I wasn't calling the shots. For some of the people overseas I was dealing with, even dropping a package at their local post office was a huge big deal, and I felt they were doing me a tremendous favor.

One other suggestion--applicable only to anything precious purchased on eBay--do use all your persuasive power to convince sellers abroad NOT to use the Pitney-Bowes international shipping "program." It's jawdroppingly expensive and glacially slow, they often carelessly repack valuable things (which they insist on "inspecting"), and if they fail to damage or misplace them, they may exercise, at the sole discretion, an option to confiscate any item deemed to violate Ebay rules (without any explanation or recourse to either you or the seller). A third completely irreplaceable purchase I made perished thereby.

But of course this isn't they only way that I think the new normal really totally completely sucks.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City

UPDATE:

Spanu's Pipe was delivered on Thursday, 16-July, 2020. Love the pipe!....no bad surprises, and, no regrets. Smoked it as soon as it arrived. Nice. Olive wood vs Briar: no difference. But, Olive wood is a little heavier than briar. I'm not a clencher, so, the few grams of extra weight doesn't matter to me. Any minor differences between these two woods aren't worth mentioning....except!....you just can't miss the "Fudge-Ripple" grain patterns ....that are part of the DNA of Olive wood..

Tomasso Spanu did a fine job. R.I.P.

Reactions: Guppy and timelord

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I ordered 5 snuff boxes from My Smoke Shop in the UK and it took just over a month to get to Kentucky...so yea...a little delay there.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I have 3 separate packages coming from the US to NZ. Last heard of on the 28th June. One is a pipe. If anyone finds them please let me know....:cry:

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
I made an Estervals order that shipped July 2. It is supposedly out for delivery to me today in the Southern US. All of my previous Estervals orders - all before the virus - have taken at least a week longer for delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.