Other Than You- What is Your Town Famous For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The town I was born and raised in was the childhood home of Amelia Earhart.

It was also the terminus of the Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe RR (AT&SF RR)

No I think it's mostly famous for meth.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I dream of Jeanie, Kelly Slater, NASA - the only place man has ever left earth and stepped on another planetary body / moon. Oh yah Ron Jon’s tourist trap surf shop that started out as a drug running operation, they used to do crappy shaped boards and stuff them with weed and then drive them up the coast to sell the pot, now they get $5 for a shitty little sticker and big dollars for T-shirts so they don't have to sell drugs anymore LOL

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My birthplace is famous for a great many things, like the invention of the supermarket, the invention of the breakfast burrito, invention of the French dip sandwich, world capital for the film and TV biz, car culture, national leader in homelessness, housing unaffordability, piles of incredibly beautiful people, food diversity and quality, lousy air quality, huge career opportunities, etc, etc.
Where I am now is famous for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and the area is famous for incredible natural beauty. I prefer the latter.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
The city I live in is proclaimed to be the peanut capital of the world.

It's host to the National Peanut Festival (which is a glorified, oversized version of a county fair that comes to town, the only relation to peanuts is that there's many vendors selling boiled peanuts, but if you're looking for education or celebration of peanuts, you won't find it there). About 1/4 of the US peanut crop is produced in the area. There's a bunch of anthropomorphic peanut statues all around town with different themes.

The place that was my hometown for the first 5 years of my life, I don't think is known for anything other than a Jewish graveyard of some historical note (Wehen—Taunusstein).

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
My hometown of Cleveland, MS isn't known for too much. But it is widely considered as birthplace of the Mississippi Delta Blues. There is a small farm/plantation outside of town called Dockery Farms that is on the national Blues Trail where many blues musicians lived and worked. Names such as Howlin' Wolf and the one and only Robert Johnson were a couple of the more famous names that resided there. Clarksdale (about 35 miles north) gets a lot of the "Blues" attention because the famous "Crossroads" of highways 49 and 61 where Johnson supposedly made the deal with devil to play the blues, but many consider Cleveland as the starting point for the Blues revolution.

Cleveland also has the Grammy Museum which is kind of cool. And Delta State University also has the Boo Ferriss Baseball Museum. Ferriss was a local native and came back to coach the Delta State Baseball team for a few years.

In my college days, I worked at a restaurant called KC's for several years which was widely considered one of the best restaurants in the Southeast at the time. It gained several James Beard awards and it had a wine cellar that would rival just about any other fine dining establishment in the South at the time. Names such as Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, Archie Manning (and Payton and Eli) were all guests. Morgan Freeman dined there more frequently as he lived in the Delta. I helped serve at one of his big birthday dinners there. I think it was his 60th.

KC's closed in 2010. They did their best to weather the recession, but it did them in just like it did for a lot of businesses at the time.