Other Than You- What is Your Town Famous For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Buffalo NY for many years was noted for thin sliced hot roast beef on a German Kummelweck roll topped with corse salt and caraway seeds. The beef was sliced from a huge chunk known as a ships round. Cooked in a booth in front of customers. The stacked high slices with fresh horseradish. Only a few places serve it now replaced with chicken wings and Buffalo sauce. Also the home of the Buffalo Bills football team.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Buffalo NY for many years was noted for thin sliced hot roast beef on a German Kummelweck roll topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds.

Except for the fact that anything involving the taste of caraway seeds is categorically hideous, ghastly, horrible, and disgusting, that's a nice story. :)

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
The town in which I currently live, Janesville, WI, is known for Abraham Lincoln haven given a speech and slept here one night. We had a General Motors Assembly Plant from 1919, until 2009, which caused many blue-collar families in the area much pain when it closed.

Nearby Edgerton, WI, where I spent most of my youth and what I would consider my hometown was known around the area as "Tobacco City U.S.A." with it being the main cash crop in the area, and at one point having 52 tobacco warehouses in town. Author Sterling North, PGA Golfer Steve Stricker, and NASCAR driver Rich Bickle are all from Edgerton.

Reactions: yanoJL and BCF

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
The town in which I currently live, Janesville, WI, is known for Abraham Lincoln haven given a speech and slept here one night. We had a General Motors Assembly Plant from 1919, until 2009, which caused many blue-collar families in the area much pain when it closed.

Nearby Edgerton, WI, where I spent most of my youth and what I would consider my hometown was known around the area as "Tobacco City U.S.A." with it being the main cash crop in the area, and at one point having 52 tobacco warehouses in town. Author Sterling North, PGA Golfer Steve Stricker, and NASCAR driver Rich Bickle are all from Edgerton.
You must be the closest member to me! Hi neighbor! Haha

Reactions: S.A. DeVault

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Now that I have had time to think about it. Off the top of my head, here is a brief list. Apologies to any natives if I left off some of the more important things in your mind.

Confluence of the Missouri and the Mississippi

Was a part of France and then Spain before being bought by the United States

Lewis and Clark Expedition

Gateway Arch

The Saint Louis Cathedral

Ead’s Bridge

Jazz and Blues Culture

Baseball Cardinals

Anheuser-Busch

Ice Crème Cone

1904 World’s Fair

Dred Scott Decision

T.S. Eliot

Josephine Baker

Chuck Berry

Yogi Berra

John Goodman

Jon Hamm

Maya Angelou

Scott Bakula

Robet Guillaume

Nelly

Dick Gregory

Vincent Price

And too many more to name…

America’s First Kindergarten

Grant’s Farm

Forest Park

Saint Louis Art Museum

Saint Louis Zoo

Shaw’s Garden

Tower Grove, West End, and Soulard Neighborhoods

The Hill and Italian Cooking

Saint Louis Pizza

Provel Cheese

Gooey Butter Cake

Toasted Ravioli

St. Paul Sandwich

St. Louis-style barbecue and Pork Steaks

Gerber Sandwich

Slinger

Mayfair Salad

These are just off the top of my head. If we count the metropolitan area, it gets too crazy long with even more well-known world renown places and names.

telescopes

Literally famous for, as in academically speaking?

Zero alcohol-related arrests during the entirety of Prohibition.

a.k.a. The Kansas City Mafia was more powerful than combined local and federal law enforcement.

Today? A style of barbeque, and as of this month, being on track to have the highest murder rate per capita in the country.
I didn't realize you were native to the other side of the state. Yes, KC just couldn't let Saint Louis be the murder capital of the world. I left that one off of course. When I was a kid, the city had just over 200,000 people. It had 330 murders per year. Compared to LA. which had about 3.5 million people at the time with 600 plus murders. We mopped the streets literally in blood per capita murder.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I didn't realize you were native to the other side of the state. Yes, KC just couldn't let Saint Louis be the murder capital of the world. I left that one off of course. When I was a kid, the city had just over 200,000 people. It had 330 murders per year. Compared to LA. which had about 3.5 million people at the time with 600 plus murders. We mopped the streets literally in blood per capita murder.

Born in South Dakota, but barely remember it. Grew up in a Kansas-side suburb of KCMO. Then lived in all manner of cool places. Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, (far western) North Dakota, coastal North Carolina, and rural-ish Ohio (though I much prefer the western US). Finally ended up back in KC---though only a couple hundred feet from the Kansas line---for family reasons a decade ago. The hoodrat wars and related that make a good chunk of KCMO disgusting don't affect me here, but I still don't care much for the place. (Maybe I would if I hadn't seen so much to compare it with, however.)

As for the recent crime upturn, it's for the same reason as most US cities these days: DA's who refuse to prosecute as a general thing, then release the ones who ARE caught on signature bond. Result? The police department is quitting in droves, and no one is replacing them. And the result of that? 100% rocket science: the bad guys have little to fear, and are taking full advantage of it.

• Love

telescopes

Born in South Dakota, but barely remember it. Grew up in a Kansas-side suburb of KCMO. Then lived in all manner of cool places. Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, (far western) North Dakota, coastal North Carolina, and rural-ish Ohio (though I much prefer the western US). Finally ended up back in KC---though only a couple hundred feet from the Kansas line---for family reasons a decade ago. The hoodrat wars and related that make a good chunk of KCMO disgusting don't affect me here, but I still don't care much for the place. (Maybe I would if I hadn't seen so much to compare it with, however.)

As for the recent crime upturn, it's for the same reason as most US cities these days: DA's who refuse to prosecute as a general thing, then release the ones who ARE caught on signature bond. Result? The police department is quitting in droves, and no one is replacing them. And the result of that? 100% rocket science: the bad guys have little to fear, and are taking full advantage of it.
Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct. It’s appalling.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Although born in Astoria, Queens, known for, among others, Tony Bennett, Maria Callas, Cyndi Lauper and Archie Bunker, I grew up in Chicago. The family moved here when I was 1 year old, and I have lived in the same neighborhood for more than 70 years.
The Chicago list is endless, but this may be near the top:

1691646935520.png