Other Than You- What is Your Town Famous For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Scottie Piersel Pipes
2 Fresh Il Duca Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Until the last decade or so, nationally people had to think hard to place what state Raleigh was in, although it is the state capital.

So it was sort of a political town with local fandom for North Carolina State University, not to be confused with its arch sports rival University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill up the road.

The university at Chapel Hill is the state system flagship campus. NCSU, on the other hand, started out as an agricultural and engineering school for men but has since evolved into a STEM powerhouse and a research center. NCSU probably has a greater proportion of students who are first in their family to attend college.

Now Raleigh is more famous for being a comfortable somewhat stable place to live and is growing fastest in the state. A near large suburb, Cary, is said to be an acronym for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Probably more famous, earlier, is the adjacent Research Triangle Park, a collaboration of state government and large banks to attract a nexus of high powered research organizations that was launched back in the 1960's.

It has served as the model for many other research parks in the U.S., and abroad, but few are as established and successful. Major organizations starting out included a huge IBM facility, one of the National Institutes of Health, the Army Research Office, a state funded Research Triangle Institute, the National Humanities Center, Glaxo Klein pharmaceuticals, the Environmental Protection Agency research labs, and now numerous others, though IBM has since decamped. Locally, RTP claims the international fame.

The writer David Sederis wasn't born in Raleigh but grew up mostly here. The writer Guy Owen, who wrote Flim Flam Man, which was made into a movie with George C. Scott taught at NCSU for most of his career. A research scientist at NIEHS in RTP, Martin Rodbell, received the Nobel Prize for medicine, though I believe he lived in nearby Chapel Hill.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
We visited your Chocolate Festival many years ago when our kids were young. We're less than an hour away.

Next time I take the camper to Big Foot State Park (Lake Geneva), I'll let you know. Maybe you can stop by for a smoke around the campfire.
Awesome! Unfortunately, we actually arent Chocolate city USA anymore. The Nestle plant shut down, and only does candy, no chocolate. So now instead of chocolate fest, its the Jambouree. And about half the size now. :(

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
My town is a sea of plastic, with hundreds of thousands of greenhouses, to feed all of Europe. Traditionally, table grapes were exported in wooden barrels. In the old days it was all grape vines. #The traditional story of the grape campaign of 1953, which made Almeria the center of an exceptional commercial and mercantile activity: "hundreds of vehicles from various points go to unload their merchandise at the dock, where daily, steamers of various nationalities set sail for the ports of destination" in Europe, the Far East and America. This year more than 23 million kilos were exported, surpassing "all imaginable calculations" for the "golden fruit".barriles-de-uva-para-exportar_puerto_almeria_anos_50-1.jpg

The city I live in now was bestowed a federal seal of approval as “Best City to Live In” six years in a row about a decade ago. About half of Hallmark’s movies were filmed here. Seems like you couldn’t drive through downtown on a weekday for a film crew running amok. And, we have so many book authors here that it gets annoying.

The high school in the town where I was born and raised produced more rocket scientists and University of Alabama quarter backs than anywhere else in the US. And, it still hosts the world’s oldest mule day auction every year. What a mix.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Literally famous for, as in academically speaking?

Zero alcohol-related arrests during the entirety of Prohibition.

a.k.a. The Kansas City Mafia was more powerful than combined local and federal law enforcement.

Today? A style of barbeque, and as of this month, being on track to have the highest murder rate per capita in the country.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Literally famous for, as in academically speaking?

Zero alcohol-related arrests during the entirety of Prohibition.

a.k.a. The Kansas City Mafia was more powerful than combined local and federal law enforcement.

Today? A style of barbeque, and as of this month, being on track to have the highest murder rate per capita in the country.
Smoking many a cigar and ate many a steak in the Pendergast above the Majestic steakhouse when i was there for a few weeks, my friend is home grown KC and i've gotten the entire history of the mob in KC, the empty cement trucks and all the other cons. Somewhere i have a pic of the toilet upstairs with the plaque "Truman pissed here". LOL

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My birthplace to 9 years old is famous for Snow, Michael Moore, and Polluted water. Thanks dad for moving us to the home of Richard Nixon, Yoruba Linda, CA. My Jr High was next door to Tricky Dick’s childhood home. Then it became a really cool presidential library.