PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Olkofri,
Cant say. My intro into Lakeland arrives tues. But ill be sure to let you know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is generally agreed that aging is not beneficial for aromatic tobacco, so very few cellar the CB blends or their Lane equivalents.
That's in comparison to blends that change with aging. Aros when stored airtight will often taste exactly as they did when jarred.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The more I get into smoking a pipe, the more (it seems) the dimestore blends had it right to begin with..
:clap:
Please, continue to believe this. Leaves more Gawith & Hoggarth for the rest of us.
When you can find it with its ever increasing price. I can still get a 14 ounce tub of CH, PA, SWR, or CB locally for under $30.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I can still get a 14 ounce tub of CH, PA, SWR, or CB locally for under $30.
This is why drugstore blends are still around - not because they are better, but because they are inexpensive and easily available. They are the MacDonald's of the pipe tobacco world. If you like them, smoke them by all means.
The closest I get are Lane Ready Rubbed (formerly a drugstore blend as Edgeworth), a couple of Amphora blends (the brown used to be in drugstores), and the occasional old time MacBaren blend, which also used to sold in drugstores.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
1Q goes great with coffee
1Q goes well with tea too, especially the floral type Oolongs and Pu-erhs. I'm having it as I type with a nice, aged sun-died Qianjiazhai black & flower tea from cake.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I actually enjoy the taste of SWR aro, some of the Captain Black, HGL, and other Sutliff offerings. Unfortunately, my mouth gets very sore and tacky feeling after I smoke anything with heavy amounts of PG.
I keep a tub of SWR regular in homage to my grandfather, it's ejoyable every so often and doesn't tear up my mouth.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
SWRA is some really good stuff. I've also gotten to like CB Copper quite a bit. It's almost like a cleaner, more straight tobacco-forward CBW. I've put away many cans of each in the last couple years.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Okay, this is as good a place as any to confess this:
I actually like Captain Black Grape.
The tobacco component is of reasonable quality, it's not goopy, and the favoring isn't as sickeningly sweet as one might expect. If you like Grape Nehi or the Tootsie Pops with the blue wrappers, and you have a sense of humor and like to try things just for the hell of it, I actually recommend you give the grape a try. :D

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
The Captain was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried. I haven't had it in a while but it isn't bad. As far as drug store blends go; I occasionally mix a half and half mixture of Five Brothers and Smokers Pride black cavendish, when I'm in the mood for something sweet.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Captain Black white was my first pipe tobacco. I prefer the royal better. I have a couple Masson jars and recently got a tub of it when it went on sale. It came wit a $10 P&C cash. I put that towards a pound of 1Q. I just saw they have $20 P&C cash if you buy a tub of captain copper.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Been on an OTC kick lately. Mixing Five Bros. 50/50 with CH. Easy mild smoke with a decent nicotine kick.

puffnstuff

Lurker
Feb 11, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
I used to be quite a fan of several of the OTC brands in the US.
CB, BR, CH, SWR, AM...
I just took up the pipe again after many years and going to start off with Orlik Golden Sliced as my first foray into tinned flake tobacco
The old Amphora was my favorite OTC of all that I tried, so I bought a pouch of the Full Aroma and put it in a mason jar just the other day. The pouch note did not smell anything close to the old blend so we will see how it fares when lit. I'm quite skeptical about it but heard good things about the Black Cavandish. I have 2 pouches that arrived today!
Always have some Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey around if there is a pipe in my house as I like to 50/50 it with Captain Black Original...it's my "Black Whiskey Blend".
It's going to be interesting to see if I still have some fondness for these old staple OTC blends after I smoke some tinned up yummies!!

puffnstuff

Lurker
Feb 11, 2019
Okinawa, Japan
I see that and will be trying some serious blending soon!
Anyone know off hand who makes an eqiv. or better in bulk similar flavor profile toBorkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Anyone know off hand who makes an eqiv. or better in bulk similar flavor profile toBorkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey
South_Prong_Creek,_danger_poison_barrel,_above_Highway_F.M._876,_near_Waxahachie,_Ellis_County,_Texas_1,I_AMC11034.jpg

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Stopped into Walgreens today for toothpaste and Biotene. they had Capt Black! 2 pouches.. I asked for both.. Holy hell they were 12$ a piece!!! I think Ill order online from now on!!!!!
Olkifro. just smoked ennerdale. and loved it!!!!! Got bright, and some bogie.. Sorry you now have competition for it.. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.