PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedediahsmith

Lurker
Dec 3, 2013
My user name is also my real name: my real middle and last names, chosen in honor of the great American trailblazer.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
All my hunting dogs have been named after Piper aircraft. Cheyenne had the most gentlemanly personality of any dog I have owned. Probably my second best hunting dog next to Dakotah, his older partner, he was the runt of a 12 pup litter. I had often thought of his best traits (loyalty, determination, calm spirit, intelligence) as worthy of emulation.
Ran out of names to use for nicknames. Settled on "12pups."
Have used it ever since.
My son and I spread Cheyenne Twelve Pups' ashes over his favorite hunting spot last summer. Guessed the effect of wind wrong. I ingested a good portion of him. And so now I guess I truly am him... 12pups.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
When I started shooting Cowboy Action, I needed to adopt an alias because that's one of the rules. I eventually settled on "Checotah" because that's the town in Oklahoma where my mother was born. Now use it in several online forums.

Mar 3, 2014
When starting in this forum I couldnt come up with a nickname, so I just typed in slightlywittynickname!
@apkurt - did you know that your nick translates, literally, to monkey kurt in Swedish?

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
@buster -- Funny! They used to call me 'Sashweight'
I am a natural cynic, and I grew up listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd... it sounds just like "sinner", and I am a sinner saved by Grace.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
When I was young my father always said he would be very happy if I could do half of what he had done.
He used to be a factory worker during the Great Cultural Revolution in China, which was a disaster for his generation. Young people were sent to the farms and prohibited to receive higher education. After the GCR he acquired his bachelor degree in economics in his thirties. It was a pity that he was not able to study Russian - his favorite major even he scored wonderful in the qualification exam. The dept. of Russian thought it too late for a 30s guy to learn foreign language. After a few years, he finished his graduate study at the age of 40. This may sound trivial to you nowadays. But it was not easy for a Chinese citizen in that era and striving for a living at the same time. The interesting thing was, later on he spent many years working in CCCP (and now Russia). And it may well explain my Russian PAD ...
So I call myself half when I was a teenager. I added a "y" to make it look like a nick name. However, I did not know the meaning of halfy until my twenties ... anyway, so it came and will be. Though I got my phd in physics and had been working as a scientist, I never thought of that could be a little bit parallel to my father, who fought his way out in the dark time of China.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I began smoking premium cigars back in 1984 and became obsessed with everything about them. I became an expert on the types of leaf, I learned everything there is to know about them from every country that produced them. I spent time with Carlos Fuente in the Dr, I spent time at factories in Cuba and got a private tour at the Cohiba factory which was not open , I lived and breathed cigars. At my peak I had 3000 cigars in my temp and humidity controlled humidor, I even shipped that humidor to florida on a temp controlled 18 wheeler to make sure my cigars stayed cool and fresh, only cost me 800 bucks. In 1995 when I got on line I wanted the name cigmaster on AOL and that was it. On the Fuente site my handle was The Master and people looked up to me for my knowledge. At one time I was known by over a thousand people throughout the cigar world. I was also very helpful to anyone who wanted help and even created a site called the scumbag list for people that sold fake cubans, robbed people. and who were bad traders, which there were many so I fried them and turned them into pariah. I hated people who took advantage of the uninitiated and made it a mission to go after them.
Here is a pic of my humidor, which was 88" tall, by 51" wide and 29" deep and could hold 6000 cigars.

Here is a pic of my ex wife, Carlos Fuente with a stained glass Opus piece that was a copy of the Opus ashtray.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Heavens! I didn't realize, when this thread was started, what remarkable insights into our membership my simple query would reveal. What an incredible group you are!

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
Years ago there was a comic strip in the newspapers called "Gasoline Alley" which had a character called "Moon Mullins" and when I entered the Air Force and became a pilot my callsign naturally became "mooner". Now that I am an old man I am "old mooner". Not a very long story, but true.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Mine's a tag I got in high school, because a 'buddy' of mine said "You need one of those oxymoronic nicknames, like the giant black dude everyone calls Tiny...you need that kinda thing." then he proceeded to dub me 'Kibo the WonderF*ck, cause you wonder 'What the f*ck is he talking about?!?'"...The Kibo part caught on with people, the rest, not so much(thankfully). Kibo has taken many meanings, depending on who's asking (or assuming)...some of which have included:

KIBO- Knowledge In, Bullshit Out (166 IQ, but if someone asked me for answers in school, I'd just steer them in a circle. If asked for help, I'm straight-forward, but asking me to do all your work for you doesn't fly.)
KIBO- Kinetically Intensified Brutal Organism (Cheesy, but true; one of my old BJJ/Vale Tudo peers came up with it)
Kibo also apparently means "Scale,Plan, Scope or Structure" in Japanese, unless used as a boy's name, in which case it means "Hope"; "motion; movement; breaking of silence; sit still; to sit still;" in Tagalog, and it is also somewhat similar to a Chinese phrase that means "I play fast" or "I charge aggressively" (according to Mr. Yu at the local buffet. He overheard a friend call me Kibo, and he told us that.)
Apologies for being long winded and for the ridiculousness of my nom de guerre.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Kibo, do you still train bjj? I've been training for over 4.5 years as well as muay thai. I currently teach both at my academy.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Back in 1999 I got my first computer and got my dial-up connection established. It was my 33rd birthday, and I was drinking a Beefeater Gin & Tonic, trying to figure out the whole internet thing. I logged on to E-bay's site and they asked for a username----beefeater33 its been ever since!! And NO, I don't still have dial-up!!

diana

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
It's my name. My father gave it to me in honor of the Paul Anka song. Yea, not much of a back story there.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
layinpipe, I haven't trained in any art since I suffered a potentially fatal brain injury in 2011. I miss it something fierce. Shoot me a PM, I still love to talk MA!

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Man, what an interesting thread!
Years ago I worked with some development software called GrumpFish. When I got online and needed a handle I didn't want to use my real name because I wanted a little anonymity, and also because my real name has little or no drama or panache. :) So I went all non-creative and piggybacked off of the software company: GrumpFish -> GrouchyDog.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
My original user name was Irish. Both sets of my grandparents came from Ireland. I was born and raised here in the US but being raised in West Texas most of my friends are Mexican and when they would here my grandparents talk they would always kid me saying "Damn we thought we had bad accents" . So before long they started calling me Irish even though I am full blood American. It of course is still my username if you PM me or look at my profile but I changed to just using my real name a while back. BTW thanks Sparrowhawk for starting this spread it has been very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.