PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Now here's a topic that may generate interest or none at all: What does your user name mean, and where does it come from? Some are a bit obvious, others are obscure, to say the least.

For my part, "Sparrowhawk" was the "use" name for a wizard in Ursula K. LeGuin's trilogy, the EarthSea trilogy, written decades before anyone heard of Harry Potter. Wizards and others in the magical islands that made up Earthsea always kept their true names secret, so they selected a use name. The trilogy follows Sparrowhawk from his childhood to his training at the School for Wizards and his adventures afterwards.

So, if you're comfortable with this, what is the origin of your name?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrowhawk, these posts have been done before, but they are always interesting. Mine is simple.

MSO is a U.S. Navy designation for a specific kind of ship, Minesweeper Oceangoing, and 489 was

my ship's hull number. You can Google it and see a photo of it underway. Since I served on it in the

early 1970's, it was decommissioned, sold or given to the Taiwanese navy and recommissioned under

a different name. Nearly all but one or two of my Navy duty stations have been decommissioned and

repurposed. Midway Island where I was stationed is now a wildlife preserve under the Department of

the Interior; the boot camp at San Diego is long ago closed; and so on.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Tarak was a name I made up, but I think the word came from the deep recesses of my brain as a take in "Turok", and video game, and Terok Nor, a Star Trek thing.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Ruger is my legal name. I think that's more in need of explanation than anything else!
My mother was a US Marshall while pregnant with me. She was in the market for a new handgun and really liked the Ruger .357s. While flipping through a Ruger gun catalogue and she ended up using it to mark the pages of the baby book. After a while they just started to refer to me as Ruger and by the time I was born the name had stuck! Coincidentally my mother got two Rugers that year: me and a .357 magnum! :D

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Mine is pretty simple. I'm ONE of the guys behind the scenes of the organized chaos (mainly) for your July 4th fireworks celebrations.
The myth: We have all the fun!
The truth: It is MORE work than anyone realizes. A complex 25 minute show can take 4 days of work start to finish. As an operator, I rarely actually see any the show I put on. Too much going on...

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Mine is pretty simple as well. 'Brud" was my father's nickname, a shortened form of our last name. "Nod" is what I have been called in the past as a function of my ability/proclivity to sleep through any (all?) lecture in medical school, internship, residency and fellowship. Then one of my professors, who I then worked with, suggested that I give the lecture; I fell asleep less...

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
My facial hair grows in mostly red, and I used to have a beard more often than not but now that I am DE shaving I like to shave too much :D
Maybe I should change it to red moustache now since my handlebar is big and red HAHA

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
The movie "Dr No" changed my like forever. I was 11 years old when the movie came out. After seeing Ursula Andress in that white bikini, my life was never the same again. The worm had turned :wink: Bond was my hero.

Saint, well I was born and raised in New Orleans.

apkurt

Lurker
Apr 7, 2014
My name is Kurt and AP are the first two letters of the band I fronted for many years "Aqueduct Pocket".

May 31, 2012
e.e. cummings
he was

one

(1)

of the first

(1st)

poets that tur

ned
me

on

.​
Feeling+is+First.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK4OcYPvPvI

May 31, 2012
This explains the origin to my onscreen name, about midway through this great Kristofferson song...
Damn!

That is a good song and I'm glad to know the origin of yer handle,

now when I say it in my head I'm gonna rolllllllll my RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR's!

:!:

:)

Jan 8, 2013
I use fadingdaylight for just about everything. I like symbolism, and the name has multiple meanings. One, dusk, my favorite time of day. Also, mythically speaking, the time when the magic starts.
However, it also symbolizes death and depression, falling from the light, being consumed by the darkness within. Not to sound morbid or angsty, I'm not all dark and miserable, but those are aspects of life, hence the cusp-like term.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
gosh, some of you guys have real imaginations ... it makes me feel so darned ordinary for having just used my name.
But, I did add SF to denote the area in which I live ... still, that's pretty unimaginative.

Now, I won't be able to read peck's name without hearing it in my head as Kristofferson's voice, ha ha!
In short, I am a jewelry artist and lapidary that deals mostly with opals and other more "cosmic" stones.

And, as an undergrad studying art and religious studies, I became infatuated with folklore, collecting and preserving these stories that are a vital part of who we all are. So, weaving these cosmic stones with folklore in my art, my business's name has become Cosmic Folklore Studios, thus I identify myself on almost all online sites that I visit with this name.
I wonder sometimes if it makes me seem too hippy dippy, as I am really a down to earth country boy who lives off the land mostly, but, eh, people can think what they want, lol. :puffy:

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
First initial, last name. I added 858 at some point because I used to smoke a lot of Fuente 858 Maduros.
I used to go by more creative names on other forums in the past. For a variety of reasons I came around more to the belief of not posting things I'm not willing to put my own name and face on.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've answered this on the other threads, but my handle is 'ghost' because I'm a semi-retired paranormal investigator. (Hobbyist only, of course.) I've been on hiatus from my team since last fall, but I've done a couple of private cases since then just to keep a foot on the other side. It's a very time and money consuming hobby, so I needed to step away from it to chill out a bit. I even did some TV work awhile back, which I'm sure no one here has seen. It was a pretty obscure show.
I pretty much love everything to do with the paranormal and the macabre, etc. If it wasn't for the wife being very straight-laced, I was fairly certain I was going to live some sort of Addams Family-style existence. I do to a certain extent, but we have a relatively normal house outside of my office/studio. Probably for the best...
To be honest, I was shocked the name was available when I first joined here. I never get to use 'ghost anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.