PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Well, you know kids. THey'll find a door if you leave one open. Wouldn't we all want to see teenagers smoking pipes?
We have a huge problem here with roving gangs of tweed wearing Dunhill puffing street roughs harassing local shop keepers, wielding Czech tools like switchblades, and leaving mylar Esoterica wrappers everywhere.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You read the article, and it’s not really about “tobacco products” at all; it’s about vaping. I’d like someone to explain how vaping has anything to do with “tobacco products.” (That’s rhetorical, BTW. I actually have zero interest in any discussion about vaping.)

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
You read the article, and it’s not really about “tobacco products” at all; it’s about vaping. I’d like someone to explain how vaping has anything to do with “tobacco products.” (That’s rhetorical, BTW. I actually have zero interest in any discussion about vaping.)

The bill itself, unfortunately, is pretty inclusive:

[(b)] (e) “Tobacco products” means:
(A) Any product that contains, is made from or is derived from tobacco or natural or synthetic nicotine, such as bidis, cigars, cheroots, stogies, periques, granulated, plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed and other smoking tobacco, snuff, snuff flour, cavendish, plug and twist tobacco, fine-cut and other chewing tobaccos, shorts, refuse scraps, clippings, cuttings and sweepings of tobacco and other forms of tobacco, prepared in a manner that makes the tobacco suitable for chewing or smoking in a pipe or otherwise, or for both chewing and smoking;

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
lunatic do-gooder is making a decision about my life.
Nothing lunatic about the "antis". They should be respected and feared for their well organized and funded tactics. They are certainly better organized, as a bloc, than they tobacco industry and their customers are. Even tobacco vendors fear them. Understanding them and their tactics will certainly be more productive than name calling. Never underestimate the "antis." They are much better at what they do than their opposition.

About the only way unorganized smokers can fight back is to locate and support politicians who are, at the least, ambivalent towards tobacco and get out the vote. Or, just kick back with a cigarette, pipe, cigar, etc. and enjoy yourself and your wee vice without all the angst. That's what I do. Tobacco will always be available. Whether averyone who smokes will be able to afford the luxury? Well, that's another thread altogether.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
The article focuses on vaping but the actual legislation encompasses all tobacco products as well. Vaping gets included as a "tobacco delivery system".

Reactions: brian64 and kcghost

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The people who run Oregon couldn't be doing a better job of trashing the place if they were Bond movie villians intent on doing so.

The death by a thousand cuts continues. Even small, personal-choice pleasures like added flavorings (!?) don't escape their notice. (Indeed, such behavior conveys a highly specific message: we intend to control everything.)

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Nothing lunatic about the "antis". They should be respected and feared for their well organized and funded tactics. They are certainly better organized, as a bloc, than they tobacco industry and their customers are. Even tobacco vendors fear them. Understanding them and their tactics will certainly be more productive than name calling. Never underestimate the "antis." They are much better at what they do than their opposition.

About the only way unorganized smokers can fight back is to locate and support politicians who are, at the least, ambivalent towards tobacco and get out the vote. Or, just kick back with a cigarette, pipe, cigar, etc. and enjoy yourself and your wee vice without all the angst. That's what I do. Tobacco will always be available. Whether averyone who smokes will be able to afford the luxury? Well, that's another thread altogether.
We have known for years to stock up. The writing has been on the wall for some time.