PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Didn't one of the New England colonies states also ban flavored tobacco, but the pipeshops were given exclusions for selling aromatic pipe tobaccos?
It seems to be a law that everyone on here freaks out about, but really turns out to be a bid adoo about nothing.

Sort of like how the FDA apocalypse panned out.

The bill itself, unfortunately, is pretty inclusive:

[(b)] (e) “Tobacco products” means:
(A) Any product that contains, is made from or is derived from tobacco or natural or synthetic nicotine, such as bidis, cigars, cheroots, stogies, periques, granulated, plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed and other smoking tobacco, snuff, snuff flour, cavendish, plug and twist tobacco, fine-cut and other chewing tobaccos, shorts, refuse scraps, clippings, cuttings and sweepings of tobacco and other forms of tobacco, prepared in a manner that makes the tobacco suitable for chewing or smoking in a pipe or otherwise, or for both chewing and smoking;

Reactions: Briar Tuck
[(b)] (e) “Tobacco products” means:
(A) Any product that contains, is made from or is derived from tobacco or natural or synthetic nicotine, such as bidis, cigars, cheroots, stogies, periques, granulated, plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed and other smoking tobacco, snuff, snuff flour, cavendish, plug and twist tobacco, fine-cut and other chewing tobaccos, shorts, refuse scraps, clippings, cuttings and sweepings of tobacco and other forms of tobacco, prepared in a manner that makes the tobacco suitable for chewing or smoking in a pipe or otherwise, or for both chewing and smoking;
Yeh, I mean, I understand, but that was the way the other laws were written as well. Feel free to be outraged, and if I lived there, I would be making some calls, talking with my B&M's, etc... But, the other laws seemed to get chiseled away also after passing. Lawmakers are more concerned with "looking" like they're doing something, rather than being effective at what the do.

But... even the mailing laws... people get around them with in between folks buying and mailing to them. Like, they're going to check every box coming in? I bet they don't even have a way to check for tobaccos. :::cough cough::: but, I am not suggesting that folks subvert the laws. puffy They'll most likely fall away anyways.

It is also illegal to resale a tin or jar of tobacco. This is federal and local... my state will even put you in jail for lending someone a cigarette out of your pack. But, I've yet to hear of someone going to jail for it. And, yet people still openly trade, buy, and sale tobaccos on here without registering as tobacco retailers or paying the extra taxes with proof with a stamp all the time... but, the law is on the books.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I just hope they dont ban the shipping of tobacco the way states like Maine and Washington have done. Some business dont mind shipping, but some will absolutely not do it.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Yeh, I mean, I understand, but that was the way the other laws were written as well. Feel free to be outraged, and if I lived there, I would be making some calls, talking with my B&M's, etc... But, the other laws seemed to get chiseled away also after passing. Lawmakers are more concerned with "looking" like they're doing something, rather than being effective at what the do.

But... even the mailing laws... people get around them with in between folks buying and mailing to them. Like, they're going to check every box coming in? I bet they don't even have a way to check for tobaccos. :::cough cough::: but, I am not suggesting that folks subvert the laws. puffy They'll most likely fall away anyways.

It is also illegal to resale a tin or jar of tobacco. This is federal and local... my state will even put you in jail for lending someone a cigarette out of your pack. But, I've yet to hear of someone going to jail for it. And, yet people still openly trade, buy, and sale tobaccos on here without registering as tobacco retailers or paying the extra taxes with proof with a stamp all the time... but, the law is on the books.
Y'all might be reasonable in the South, but not here. Portland is in Multnomah County:

https://www.kptv.com/2022/12/16/multnomah-co-ends-sale-flavored-tobacco/

"The ban will take affect Jan. 2024 with no exemptions for hookah businesses or any other form of flavored tobacco...

Supporters of the ordinance celebrated the vote and said the county had voted to protect the lives of people targeted by the tobacco industry. “[Which includes] communities of color, LGBTQ and other marginalized people, and especially our kids,” said Marcus C. Mundy, executive director of the Coalition of Communities of Color".

... local business owners spoke against the ban. Two men said the ordinance’s lack of exemptions for hookah lounges would specifically harm minority-owned shops."

Last edited:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've lived here for almost nine years and I don't ever recall seeing a tobacco pipe smoker in that time. Plenty of the Devil's Lettuce being smoked everywhere now though.

I wish I could have experienced earlier times here like you did. I've got friends who were born and raised in Oregon and they have great stories.
Yep. It was different back then. There used to be cigar and pipe shops in Ballard, the University district, West Seattle, Renton and downtown Seattle. I worked in the Federal Building on 2nd Ave. and between 1st Ave and the waterfront there was a with a good selection of pipe tobacco and cigars. I would go in there sometimes and he would actually be blending tobacco.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Living in Portland, this makes me very sad. Not only for myself, but for the local businesses as well
I just hope they dont ban the shipping of tobacco the way states like Maine and Washington have done. Some business dont mind shipping, but some will absolutely not do it.
Nailed it. I've been living in a "no flavored tobacco" municipality for a while now and the main change I've seen is the forced closure of brick & mortar shops. That sucks because it takes away a great experience for pipe and cigar smokers. But all it's really accomplished is ending jobs, leaving some storefronts vacant for months or years, and reduced taxes collected for the state.

As for myself, I've just continued to buy whatever tobacco I want via our site sponsors. If they really wanted to kill tobacco, they should go after internet sales and make it so I can't buy something locally or from other states. Force me to go to a black market

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I was given a very lucrative job offer in Portland about 15 years ago. They flew me, my wife, and daughter out there from Portland, Maine. I thought the city was in decline. The real estate prices were a joke. Traffic was awful. The weather sucked. I turned it down. Glad I did.
15 years ago Portland was a paradise compared to what it is now. The last time I was there was in 2016 and it was an absolute shit hole, literally. It has gotten much worse since then according to everyone I know who has been there in recent years. Most people I know simply avoid going there now.

BDIC

Might Stick Around
Feb 15, 2021
NY, Long Island
That’s what happens when the stoners ‘grow up’. The sanctimonious Love to ban Your vice. As for theirs?
Not so much.
Weed is legal in Oregon.

Mac
Is it just me or does this not make any logical sense? Zero regulations on drugs and tons of regulations on tobacco. No problem with people being stoned out of their gourds and moving about in a haze, but god forbid you sit and enjoy a quiet bowl with a cup of coffee. And hell, I even like the devil's lettuce on a Saturday night or Sunday so it's not like I'm against it. I'm in NY and they are heading towards the same stupidity.

Maybe I'm just too slow to understand these things.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Is it just me or does this not make any logical sense? Zero regulations on drugs and tons of regulations on tobacco. No problem with people being stoned out of their gourds and moving about in a haze, but god forbid you sit and enjoy a quiet bowl with a cup of coffee. And hell, I even like the devil's lettuce on a Saturday night or Sunday so it's not like I'm against it. I'm in NY and they are heading towards the same stupidity.

Nothing going on here in Oregon, or most other places, makes logical sense anymore.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA

Some politicians undoubtedly think they can score big by ‘protecting the children’.
No way same politicians would try to ban weed - not in Oregon. The (stoned) public would get off their couches & vote them out.

I lived in Oregon for many years. Glad I moved out.

Mac

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Buy what you like and lots of it, pick a few tins of what you want to try. If your tastes change you will have stuff to trade for what you want.Then let the nannies do what they will. As we say, tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I just told a friend the other day the hippies of the '60s are in charge now. Peace out man. :)
There's a certain amount of truth to that on the superficial left/right level...it used to be a libertarian left and an authoritarian right...now it's a libertarian right and an authoritarian left.

But above that, it's really the same elitist, authoritarian power structure in charge now as it was then...it's just wearing a different mask, at a different stage of its long-term agenda.