Opinions Regarding the "Palm Swirl" Method of Packing a Pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Mostly the Codger scoop so for me with ribbon. Fold and stuff with flake. The swirl method is fine but an unnecessary process. Get the feel then you can load it however you wish.

My thoughts as well. I've tried the palm swirl method and it works pretty well but it only works with ribbon cut tobaccos for me. The scoop and tamp is my default for simplicity sake. After awhile, you don't really even think about it and the right pack just happens naturally. I agree with Cosmic. My packing improved drastically once I stopped thinking about it so much. I rarely get a bad pack and when I do it's usually because I'm smoking a cut that I haven't smoked in a long while or don't smoke too often and am out of practice.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
Enjoy your smokes. I wouldn't concern myself all that much with packing technique, Rather smoking technique. Taste and try to pick up the nuanced flavors of what your smoking. Savor the experience and it will become second nature. Jam that pick in , or stuff a pipe cleaner in there if you run into roadblocks until you get the draw and go from there:LOL: