Opinions Regarding the "Palm Swirl" Method of Packing a Pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
That sounds like a play on the Frank method. Be careful about asking for the opinion from these guys, ha ha. No telling... most of us after years of trying loading methods just start to do the codger scoop. I think the purpose of most packing methods is to teach us what the draw should be like on a properly packed pipe, which is really hard for newbies to get at first. But, then after we know what the draw should feel like, we just do the scoop. Heck, 90% of the time I pack my pipe on autopilot to the point where I don't even remember packing it.

Welcome to the forum. Tell us how this method works for you.
I hate to admit it but cosmic is right on, don’t think about it just do it= perfect smoke. I still hate your cob hating ass cosmic.......

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I see this is a common thread. My only input would be the moisture of the tobacco is to moist for most new to smoking a pipe. Drying it out will help more then any technique of packing. Petty dry and pack it in Tight , but not too tight and Your good to go. My 2 cents.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just stuff and puff, with time you will get it, I’m sure most on here will agree, after a certain amount of time you will be able to load a perfect pipe while driving
Well, no. Proper moisture level first! Do it in batches. Then your drive time smoke, loaded while driving, will be excellent and safe, as you're using but one hand for the whole operation.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I will say when I started on the pipe (way back this past May), the swirl method and the Frank method are what allowed me to actually pack a pipe well enough to enjoy. Somehow, I got hooked on the 3-part method (pack like a baby, a woman and finally a man) and that's what works best. I could get it initially, but once I realized I was building an upside-down campfire that burned down instead of up, it all clicked.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Both the swirl and the Frank method are 'advanced' methods, in so far as they require you to know, or at least have a good idea, beforehand of the capacity of your bowl(s), otherwise it's easy to overpack and the pippe won't stay lit. Know thyself your pipes so that you be able to swirl without frustration.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Both the swirl and the Frank method are 'advanced' methods, in so far as they require you to know, or at least have a good idea, beforehand of the capacity of your bowl(s), otherwise it's easy to overpack and the pippe won't stay lit. Know thyself your pipes so that you be able to swirl without frustration.
Well that's just ducky. So I went at it ass-backwards knowing nothing and somehow got them to work. F'ing beginners' luck. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well that's just ducky.
I've always thought so.

20191030_011651-jpg.17217

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
Six months into pipe smoking here. Started with the three-layer method (more like five layer adding two smaller toppers just to fill up my bowl). I found the Frank method earlier this week and miraculously nailed it the first three or so tries. Been hit and miss after. I’m thinking the whatever-gets-it-done thing these guys are saying is the reality. I know the Frank method is messier.

Reactions: BROBS

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
I usually do some combination of the 1-2-3 fill, the codger scoop, gravity fill, or rarely the frank swirl. I definitely think I have a tendency to pack a little too right usually, so a gravity fill and small topper is probably more what I need. I smoke fast usually and if it’s not enough, it’s gone too soon. A personal problem.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
99% of the time, I just stuff it in and smoke. No tapping, swirling, twisting, measuring BUT at times I like to get fancy and tap, swirl, twist, or measure.
These tricks for loading a pipe are good beginner practices (I guess) or when you just want to try something different. Most of the time I don’t have any time. I just stuff it in and smoke it. Practice makes perfect. I honestly can’t remember the last time I packed a pipe too loose or too tight. It must have been years ago....

When I first started smoking a pipe in 1990, there wasn’t the information available that there is today. I crammed in as much tobacco as I could get in there and would have to routinely struggle through a pipe that I could barely draw through. Experience taught me to pack less and less until I found the sweet spot. Now it is muscle memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I'm surprised many are calling the swirl fancy or extra. I legitimately find it easier to just dump an amount in my palm and swirling the pipe till its full. It actually rarely ever overfills, it's like the bowl knows when enough is enough.

Goes to show why people should experiment with different packing methods, you never know which one will click.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
I'm surprised many are calling the swirl fancy or extra. I legitimately find it easier to just dump an amount in my palm and swirling the pipe till its full. It actually rarely ever overfills, it's like the bowl knows when enough is enough.

Goes to show why people should experiment with different packing methods, you never know which one will click.
I don’t do it enough, but I agree with what you are saying