Opinions Regarding the "Palm Swirl" Method of Packing a Pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thomk64

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Oakville, CT USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Howya ? Getting back into pipe smoking after 20 years hiatus and have been trying different ways of packing me pipe. I seem to be a bit rusty and getting inconsistent burns. I've been watching YouTube vids and came across a "new-to-me" method of packing, the "swirl or palm-swirl" method. Tried it a few times and seems to work better for me...so far. Was wondering what the opinions are out there. Thanks for your help and advice. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Howya ? Getting back into pipe smoking after 20 years hiatus and have been trying different ways of packing me pipe. I seem to be a bit rusty and getting inconsistent burns. I've been watching YouTube vids and came across a "new-to-me" method of packing, the "swirl or palm-swirl" method. Tried it a few times and seems to work better for me...so far. Was wondering what the opinions are out there. Thanks for your help and advice. Cheers!
That sounds like a play on the Frank method. Be careful about asking for the opinion from these guys, ha ha. No telling... most of us after years of trying loading methods just start to do the codger scoop. I think the purpose of most packing methods is to teach us what the draw should be like on a properly packed pipe, which is really hard for newbies to get at first. But, then after we know what the draw should feel like, we just do the scoop. Heck, 90% of the time I pack my pipe on autopilot to the point where I don't even remember packing it.

Welcome to the forum. Tell us how this method works for you.

thomk64

Lurker
Sep 29, 2020
Oakville, CT USA
That sounds like a play on the Frank method. Be careful about asking for the opinion from these guys, ha ha. No telling... most of us after years of trying loading methods just start to do the codger scoop. I think the purpose of most packing methods is to teach us what the draw should be like on a properly packed pipe, which is really hard for newbies to get at first. But, then after we know what the draw should feel like, we just do the scoop. Heck, 90% of the time I pack my pipe on autopilot to the point where I don't even remember packing it.

Welcome to the forum. Tell us how this method works for you.
Thanks Cosmic, everyone here on the forum has been very welcoming and helpfull. Back "in the day" I also packed using the codger scoop as well. It was just simple and uncomplicated. Was actually how me grand-dad showed me when I started smoking a pipe. Once I get used to getting the draw correct I will probably go back to that method.

Pirin

Lurker
Nov 4, 2018
That's pretty much how I pack my pipe with any loose cut tobacco. Never had any issues.

What is your preferred moisture content?
European vacuum tins (wet), American coffee cans (usually better), Russ Oulette (da propper)?

Asking because I'm planning a small expedition into aromatic territory. I smoke my tobacco crisp and do the classic 1-2-3. Probably won't work with aros.

This packing looks more loose (even) than the "Frank method".

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
What is your preferred moisture content?
European vacuum tins (wet), American coffee cans (usually better), Russ Oulette (da propper)?

Asking because I'm planning a small expedition into aromatic territory. I smoke my tobacco crisp and do the classic 1-2-3. Probably won't work with aros.

This packing looks more loose (even) than the "Frank method".
I like my tobacco dry for the most part. I've been having better luck with Virginias giving them a good amount of dry time.

I don't really smoke aromatics, so I'm not sure how they best give their flavor.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I use a variation of the codger scoop, more of scoop-stuff, once, scoop-stuff-twist motion second, bowl is full and perfect for my draw. My only method for ribbon cut. Never cared for the palm-swirl just to frustrating for me.

For flake, fold and stuff or rub out and gravity fill.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Sometimes I twist, though maybe not the palm twist you describe (though I’ve seen this demonstrated). I pack a few different ways, depending partly what I’m smoking, partly where I’m packing, partly how lazy or impatient I am at the moment.

If I’m getting into a longer, stringier cut, I might do the pinch and cram, and I’ll usually give it a twist going in. Giving a flake the old fold-and-stuff, I’ll often give it a twist. Sometimes I rub flakes out ... and sometimes I give the rubbings a twist. I even twist when I tamp ... sometimes.

Now, if I’m out walking, or I’m lazy or rushing out the door, I just scoop. Crumble cakes and cube cuts get the gravity fill treatment. Once in a while, if you asked me how I packed what I was smoking, I’d stare down at the bowl and wonder how the hell it got there. (I never really get asked about this, though. I mean, really, who cares?)

Any method that gets you to a smoke you like, you’ll get no argument from me.