PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Actually just changed my mind after seeing some of them with the horn handles here
laguiole-tobacco-pipe-tool-light-horn-tip_2048x.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Calumet pipe tools are nice. Have one with briar scales. But, don't really have a use for it. It's a nice toy to look at, and definitely well built. But, $2 pipe nail is all I need. Also, that blade is not sharp. You won't be cutting plugs with it. If you are looking for Opinel, No. 8 in carbon steel is the way to go.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
No°8 and No°9 is my preferred size. Both in carbon and stainless. The carbon blade is a No°8 my favorite as it takes a wicked sharp edge. Clean and dry regularly and no more rust issues than the stainless version. It will react with some foods but stains don't hurt the blades sharpness .. knives next to Salty Dogs.20200516_071303.jpg

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
For that money I’d get an Opinel and a Rogers pipe knife.

And still have $150 ?

Edit: I see now the one end is a tamper. Though I’ve never liked using something so bulky as a tamper. Even the Rogers knife is too big as a tamper IMO.

I like the looks of the Rodgers gentleman smoker knife, but I’m torn between that and the A.G. Russell pipe knife. They’re in roughly the same pricing ballpark and have the same set of tools, and both look nice.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I also like these-Svord knives. Made in new Zealand. View attachment 30029
Made of carbon steel also. Priced at around $15.
Svords are great knives. I think their carbon is hardened a little harder than the Opi's. Strangely enough, they were my EDC for years in a pocket pouch. When I worked as a machinist, I made metal scales for a number of them.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What about sharpening? What should I use and how often should I sharpen it? You can probably tell I have no experience with "real" knives, so you might as well direct me towards a good tutorial on how to sharpen as well :oops: lol

You can get some sharpening systems. Lansky and DMT systems with diamond hones are good. But, free hand sharpening is the way to go. Use less expensive knives and practice.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
For that money I’d get an Opinel and a Rogers pipe knife.

And still have $150 ?

Edit: I see now the one end is a tamper. Though I’ve never liked using something so bulky as a tamper. Even the Rogers knife is too big as a tamper IMO.
I loved my Rogers pipe knives. I had two. They both walked away from me. I hope they come back someday....

However I looked into buying an opinel knife for a long time. I was fortunate enough to see and hold one in person at a thrift store, and decided not to buy it. They feel too light and flimsy for my liking. But I know they have a cult following, and are great for carving.

Reactions: marconi and jpmcwjr

NEmery

Lurker
Dec 31, 2019
Beaufort, SC
My Opinel is a 7 and works perfect for cutting plug. The Carbon blades are extremely thin and hold a nice edge, so it makes them cut the sticky dense plug easily!
I have been debating buying a larger Opinel as a carry piece, but they are so lightweight that you don't even realize when they aren't there. I dropped mine in my firepit within days of owning it and didn't even notice that it was out of my pocket until I went to use it. Luckily it landed away from the heat.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Opinel nos 7 with a carbon steel blade made in France, sharp or what! Simplicity itself.
Rodgers smokers knife made in Sheffield England in the original factory.
A classic but it can wander,but usually turns up later.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.