PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Been thinking about grabbing one of these opinel knives I've seen folks recommend and wondering what the ideal size is. I'll be using mine for prinarily cutting tobacco plugs and maybe for a bit of fishing. This won't be something I really carry with me day-to-day so portability isn't the biggest concern. I was thinking about numbers 8 and 9... What do you Opinel guys think?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For pipe purposes, I think the 6 1/2 inch, blade tip to end of handle, 3 inch blade, is probably most of what you need, for storage, pipe bag, and having a blade the size that could be used to trimming a little cake (though I'm not a cake builder). They are moderately priced, so you could get two sizes, but this one will probably do you.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I use an 8 mostly, but for ropes and plugs, a 7 would do fine too. The handle on the 8 is full size, so I don’t think you get a grip benefit from moving up to the 9. Also, there is a spear point blade offered in the 8 size I like more than the standard clip blade.

dkmdvm

Lurker
Feb 7, 2020
I love these knives! I have carried a no. 7 for a couple of years now. I bought a second one just in case I lose the one I carry. The no. 7 does everything I need from pipe duties to gardening. In my opinion, they are not built heavy enough for a larger size to be necessary. However, to each his own. By a couple sizes, they're fairly inexpensive.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like those because the workings are simple and old school. If I'm not mistaken, they are made of carbon steel. So a thin coat of oil is advised when not in use. I also use mine for mushroom hunts. A good and inexpensive blade that holds hold a keen edge.
They seem to be available in carbon and stainless steel. Not sure which is better.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Carbon is easier to sharpen. Stainless will, well, not stain so much....
Opinel uses a fine grained 12c27 steel. It takes a fine edge and sharpens as easily as the carbon steel.
The carbon is nice as well, possibly a little on the soft side.
The stainless will take nearly as fine an edge as the carbon, but not quite.
The carbon will roll the edge more easily than the stainless and not hold the edge quite as long.
This is the consensus on a knife forum I am on and I have found it to be true.
I'm a fan of 12c27 in any knife. It's a quality, budget, stainless.
The #8 is the most popular Opinel. The #6 is the smallest with a locking ring.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I really like the 6 if you’re carrying it in your pocket at all and is plenty big to shave off a plug. The 6 I have has an olive wood handle and stainless blade.

I’ve also got this one and I like it but it’s a bit too big for pocket duty IMO. Though better for hiking or carrying in a pack.

The ones without a locking ring I’d never try to use to do any serious cutting. I’ve found the stainless plenty sharp, though the carbon is definitely sharper.

Status
Not open for further replies.