PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I have ordered from all these shops in the past. Sadly, there must have been some kind of new legislation in Europe, because now they no longer ship pipe tobacco abroad (or at least not to Sweden). I don't really know why. Perhaps someone else does.

I am looking online for Sweden, I found this shop Brobergs, have you ever been there?

Hmm, maybe these Yelp results are good? ?

Reactions: orlandofurioso

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
I am looking online for Sweden, I found this shop Brobergs, have you ever been there?

Hmm, maybe these Yelp results are good? ?

Yes, I know about Brobergs and other shops here in Sweden. But here pipe tobacco is twice the price compared to the US. But not only that, the types of tobaccos sold in Sweden are very (!) limited and I cannot find what I like here. I like to stay curious and explore new tobaccos every now and then. That's the charm of the world of pipe smoking, right? You guys in the US are lucky to have such a rich variety of tobaccos for affordable prices.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yes, I know about Brobergs and other shops here in Sweden. But here pipe tobacco is twice the price compared to the US. But not only that, the types of tobaccos sold in Sweden are very (!) limited and I cannot find what I like here. I like to stay curious and explore new tobaccos every now and then. That's the charm of the world of pipe smoking, right? You guys in the US are lucky to have such a rich variety of tobaccos for affordable prices.

SPC does appear to ship to Sweden. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't know about European shipping. I like SP for full specifications on each pipe, a photo of each pipe, clear and full descriptions on estate pipes, extremely large inventories on Savinelli, Petersons, Ropp and some others, and a wide inventory on artisan pipes. Customer service is second to none.

I use other online retailers including Iwan Ries, West Virginia Smoke Shop for Kaywoodie pipes, and Pipes and Cigars for some bulk tobacco and an occasional pipe. I have also bought six or seven pipes from my local independent pipe shop, pipe supplies and some tobacco.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Smoking pipes and tobacco pipes are the bigger shops, I like Boswells also as a smaller shop, and my local shop is watch City but as a resident of Massachusetts I get to pay (alot) more when I buy local. But...I love visiting with Ernie Q a few times a year and getting my half pound of rhythm and blues.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I would like to know which are the best or most popular online stores in the US for ordering pipe tobacco.

Some criterias Im looking for:
- Fair prices
- Large selection of tobaccos in store
- Shipping to Europe
I buy tobacco from and recommend:

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I would like to know which are the best or most popular online stores in the US for ordering pipe tobacco.

Some criterias Im looking for:
- Fair prices
- Large selection of tobaccos in store
- Shipping to Europe
As someone who deals with international shipping, I would have to concur with smokingpipes. That being said, I don't use it anymore for tobacco purchases - I've got hit with duty too many times. Maybe for something rare, but that would be it. Why? Maybe their name attracts to much customs attention. Most Canadians I've talked to use 4Noggins. The shipping is substantially more, but it seems to create less problems with the customs. But, I can't say personally because I've only made one purchase from them.

Reactions: pipesolitude

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
As someone who deals with international shipping, I would have to concur with smokingpipes. That being said, I don't use it anymore for tobacco purchases - I've got hit with duty too many times. Maybe for something rare, but that would be it. Why? Maybe their name attracts to much customs attention. Most Canadians I've talked to use 4Noggins. The shipping is substantially more, but it seems to create less problems with the customs. But, I can't say personally because I've only made one purchase from them.
Don't have too much experience of international shipping, but does not the tobacco shops smply have to state the content to post service when they ship their parcels abroad? And once customs know it is tobacco, they will check it and bill you for additional fees (duty + taxes). Standard routine, once they know the content of the package. So seems unlikely that one will ever escape duty costs when buying tobacco online, regardless which shop you buy from, no?

Reactions: Razorback

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
@pipesolitude I have a friend in Sweden who orders tobacco from the USA, has it shipped from the retailer to another friend here in the States, and then has smaller parcels sent to him in Sweden regularly.

As I understand it, your main issue living in Sweden is not finding someone to ship to you, but rather having to pay the punitive taxes before delivery? As a result, my Swedish friend usually only buys rare and hard to find blends from USA.

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
@pipesolitude I have a friend in Sweden who orders tobacco from the USA, has it shipped from the retailer to another friend here in the States, and then has smaller parcels sent to him in Sweden regularly.

As I understand it, your main issue living in Sweden is not finding someone to ship to you, but rather having to pay the punitive taxes before delivery? As a result, my Swedish friend usually only buys rare and hard to find blends from USA.
Yes, I guess that is the issue. It is actually perfectly legit to send a gift of tobacco to Sweden (then there is no customs fee or tax). But such gift cannot be more than 50 g. But even if you limit one parcel to 50 g, adding the costs for shipment to the total, it would probably still be cheaper than the tobacco prices in Sweden; which is likely a candidate for highest prices in Europe, because here a tin of tobacco (50 g) is 30 $.

Reactions: Razorback

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Don't have too much experience of international shipping, but does not the tobacco shops smply have to state the content to post service when they ship their parcels abroad? And once customs know it is tobacco, they will check it and bill you for additional fees (duty + taxes). Standard routine, once they know the content of the package. So seems unlikely that one will ever escape duty costs when buying tobacco online, regardless which shop you buy from, no?
Customs, at least for us, doesn't automatically apply duty to every tobacco product coming through. They randomly choose items coming through. I've received from smokingpipes and not had to pay duty - about 50% of the time. That being said, if the duty has been applied, it only cost me about the same as I would normally pay here, but the difference being, that I can find tobaccos that I never see here.

Reactions: Canadian Piper

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
Customs, at least for us, doesn't automatically apply duty to every tobacco product coming through. They randomly choose items coming through. I've received from smokingpipes and not had to pay duty - about 50% of the time. That being said, if the duty has been applied, it only cost me about the same as I would normally pay here, but the difference being, that I can find tobaccos that I never see here.
I see, 50% is still very much to your advantage I would say. But does'nt smokingpipes fill in some form about the content when shipping to Canada? I have not tried yet, but from what I can gather, this seems to be how it works in my country at least. And if the content is stated as tobacco it is the responsibility of the receiving postal service to calculate a customs bill to be sent to the recipient in order to get the parcel. If customs randomly choose items to check, I think that is more a question of spotting packages that has not stated the correct content, which is unlikely the case of buying from the established tobacco retailers. Also, if the postal service suspect something about a parcel they will have to hand it over to customs for analysis, and only customs have the right to open a package to look at the content.