PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
i always play the same numbers, every loss increases the odds of a win supposedly lol...350 more years and it should work lol!

Yea it feels better to play the same numbers.. But truthfully, The odds are the same for every set of numbers. Just play every draw for the next... not 350 years, but 300 million years. Then you'd probably still be waiting..

Reactions: Dan-o$

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
I'm into amateur astronomy, cooking, and pretty much anything outdoors, but especially Mountain Biking, Golf, Tennis, Hiking, and Backpacking.

Almost all of these activities can be enjoyed whilst smoking a pipe as well!
i've been threatening to buy a Celestron go-to . great late night activity you can do with your fav pipe as well lol

• Love
Reactions: musicman

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
i've been threatening to buy a Celestron go-to . great late night activity you can do with your fav pipe as well lol
Nice! I'm in a big dob phase myself. My main scope is a 17.5" with setting circles and go-to. Whenever I go out in the desert for an observing session, I usually bring two or three pipes as well.

Reactions: Dan-o$
I didn't realize that you were a benchie! Awesome!!
In another life I was NY Board Certified Bench Jeweler. Certified Gemologist (CG), AGS. Graduate Gemologist, GIA.

Nowadays I look on Rio and get scared with all the new fangled doohickeys and thingamajigs.

"Where's the Acetylene tank for Cripe's sake!" LOL!

I sold out to Zales and moved on. Are they even still a company?

Yes, but they seem to be strictly a mall store now, at least down here. State certifications? I didn't realize that some states had this. Do they do Master Jeweler level certification also?

Back when I was doing this, by going to NYC and getting board certified (I think it was the New York Board of Trade), my liability insurance rates dropped.

AGS and GIA were the only ones I ran through. I sold AGS certified Diamonds, as kind of a niche to set me apart from the discounters. More expensive, but cut to Ideal Proportions.

Oh, and I have never ever used a pair prong pliers..... Gimme a hammer and a cupped tap.

Funny story, I am sitting there in the NYC Exam and we are setting stones. The classroom was as quiet as a mouse because we were setting faceted quartz cushion cuts as part of the exam.
As my instructor described it: "All of a sudden from the back of the room I hear a tap, tap, tap, of a hammer. I looked up and you were tap setting! I couldn't believe it!" Passed the exam.... LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Back when I was doing this, by going to NYC and getting board certified (I think it was the New York Board of Trade), my liability insurance rates dropped.

AGS and GIA were the only ones I ran through. I sold AGS certified Diamonds, as kind of a niche to set me apart from the discounters. More expensive, but cut to Ideal Proportions.

Oh, and I have never ever used a pair prong pliers..... Gimme a hammer and a cupped tap.

Funny story, I am sitting there in the NYC Exam and we are setting stones. The classroom was as quiet as a mouse because we were setting faceted quartz cushion cuts as part of the exam.
As my instructor described it: "All of a sudden from the back of the room I hear a tap, tap, tap, of a hammer. I looked up and you were tap setting! I couldn't believe it!" Passed the exam.... LOL!
Yeh, I do the same, gazing through Rio at all of the weird tools. Every now and then I will order one of these gadgets, just to see what the hype is, and as you say, mostly I just use tools that would have still been old fashioned in the 70's. I hammer set opals. But... every now and then... I realize that the hammer wasn't the best choice, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: sandollars
Yeh, I do the same, gazing through Rio at all of the weird tools. Every now and then I will order one of these gadgets, just to see what the hype is, and as you say, mostly I just use tools that would have still been old fashioned in the 70's. I hammer set opals. But... every now and then... I realize that the hammer wasn't the best choice, ha ha.
Well, I would be lying if I said I didn't have a paper full of chipped diamonds.... But I swear it's less than 2 carats and most of them were 2 - 5 points ea. puffy

Opals eh? bdwbdwbdw

Okay...... But it's for sure less than 5 carats...... LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
  1. Fly Fishing,
  2. Harleys
  3. Airstreaming
  4. Coffee Roasting
  5. Photography
  6. Classical Guitar
  7. Shooting (target)
  8. Classic car collecting
  9. Goldsmithing (bench Jeweler in a former life)
That's about it....
Me: 1. Guitar; classical, rock, southern rock, jazz
2. Fly fishing & tying
3. Tobacciana
4. Music appreciation
5. Ammo reloading sport shooting
6. Gardening cross pollination
7. Aviation enthusiast
8. Faster horses, older whisky, more money...

Attachments

• IMG_1766 (1).jpg
    IMG_1766 (1).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: sandollars
Status
Not open for further replies.