Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have several recurves, from a college archery class that i had, and when I first started bow hunting, but over the years my kids have played with them (not using them as bows, just destroying things in general) till they are no longer functional. I have been thinking about getting back into it. A state park down the road has a really nice archery range that i would love to go try out.

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
I used to have several recurves, from a college archery class that i had, and when I first started bow hunting, but over the years my kids have played with them (not using them as bows, just destroying things in general) till they are no longer functional. I have been thinking about getting back into it. A state park down the road has a really nice archery range that i would love to go try out.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I gave my daughter the evil eye when she dragged the tip of my '72 Bear Kodiak Magnum on the gravel at the range the other day. Check out eBay, and archery forums such as Archery Talk, and TradTalk for reasonably priced used recurves if you prefer not to pay the price of a new bow.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ve had a few bows in my life. Never hunted with them as I don’t do much hunting to begin with. Just shot at straw bales and such. Never owned a recurve but compounds. I had a nice Hoyt for a while but sold it to a friend when I was broke.

My brother has a lot of money and hobbies, one of which is archery. He invented some kinda plastic thingy that goes on the stringy part (I have no idea what it does) but he sold tens of thousands of them and also made custom bow strings for people. He had the machines and jigs to do so. He may have moved on from that as his interests change quickly. It’s amusing when I meet up with him and hear his latest new thing. There’s usually a lot of school boy giggling happening when we get together and he shows me his latest toys.

He has a bow range with radar speed detectors in his basement, outdoor bow range with trails and life-like targets of lions, deer, dinosaurs etc on his property. The velociraptor is particularly unsettling if you chance upon it while walking in his woods. He had several dozen bows, and sold me that Hoyt I mentioned for a token amount.

Reactions: JOHN72 and redz

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
I’ve had a few bows in my life. Never hunted with them as I don’t do much hunting to begin with. Just shot at straw bales and such. Never owned a recurve but compounds. I had a nice Hoyt for a while but sold it to a friend when I was broke.

My brother has a lot of money and hobbies, one of which is archery. He invented some kinda plastic thingy that goes on the stringy part (I have no idea what it does) but he sold tens of thousands of them and also made custom bow strings for people. He had the machines and jigs to do so. He may have moved on from that as his interests change quickly. It’s amusing when I meet up with him and hear his latest new thing. There’s usually a lot of school boy giggling happening when we get together and he shows me his latest toys.

He has a bow range with radar speed detectors in his basement, outdoor bow range with trails and life-like targets of lions, deer, dinosaurs etc on his property. The velociraptor is particularly unsettling if you chance upon it while walking in his woods. He had several dozen bows, and sold me that Hoyt I mentioned for a token amount.
I too started with a compound bow around nine years ago. I wanted to get away from the whole aiming process with pins, sights, etc., so I got into traditional archery and instinctive shooting about three months ago when a buddy of mine let me borrow a couple of his recurves. Since then I have purchased two vintage Bear recurves of my own. The goal was to take a deer with one the last few days of the season, but unfortunately for me and fortunately for the deer that did not happen, but not for lack of effort. I still shoot to some extent every day. 3D shooting with lifelike targets as you described is great fun. I recently joined the IWLA, and hopefully will help get the 3D shoot going this summer at my local chapter.

Reactions: JOHN72

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I too started with a compound bow around nine years ago. I wanted to get away from the whole aiming process with pins, sights, etc., so I got into traditional archery and instinctive shooting about three months ago when a buddy of mine let me borrow a couple of his recurves. Since then I have purchased two vintage Bear recurves of my own. The goal was to take a deer with one the last few days of the season, but unfortunately for me and fortunately for the deer that did not happen, but not for lack of effort. I still shoot to some extent every day. 3D shooting with lifelike targets as you described is great fun. I recently joined the IWLA, and hopefully will help get the 3D shoot going this summer at my local chapter.

Yeah the recurves and traditional bows always appealed to me, I’ve shot them(not well) before but never had the dough to buy one. The 3D target stuff is a riot, so much fun.

Reactions: redz and JOHN72

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I love archery, it's how I met my wife. I've been shooting a Toelke Whip for about 7 years now, hell of a bow.

I still haven't been hunting, but that's the dream, to bag a kill using my longbow.

Reactions: redz

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Bow season in Alabama gives you several more months of hunting than just the regular open permit.
Yeah, that's common in most lower 48 states. Fortunately, we don't have that problem in Alaska. There are some units where you can hunt a little earlier in the season with a bow, but the pressure is so light in most areas it really doesn't make sense unless it's "your thing"

Reactions: redz

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
I love archery, it's how I met my wife. I've been shooting a Toelke Whip for about 7 years now, hell of a bow.

I still haven't been hunting, but that's the dream, to bag a kill using my longbow.
I've taken several deer with my compound and crossbow, but I'm going to continue trying until I get one with my recurve. While practicing, I did get a squirrel with it that I proceeded to cook up.

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_163729_695.jpg
    IMG_20210118_163729_695.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 21

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Had many recurves over the years. Used to hunt a 60lb Martin Mamba. Small gamed with my 52” Kodiak. Last bow was a 1967 Browning Nomad. If I tried to draw a 60lb recurve today I’d destroy the cartilage in my elbows!

Was an instinctive shooter after Fred Asbell. Even bird hunted. Lived it. Loved it.

Cedar arrows too! I was very much dedicated to Traditional Archery.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I've taken several deer with my compound and crossbow, but I'm going to continue trying until I get one with my recurve. While practicing, I did get a squirrel with it that I proceeded to cook up.
I have a friend that wants to take me boar
Had many recurves over the years. Used to hunt a 60lb Martin Mamba. Small gamed with my 52” Kodiak. Last bow was a 1967 Browning Nomad. If I tried to draw a 60lb recurve today I’d destroy the cartilage in my elbows!

Was an instinctive shooter after Fred Asbell. Even bird hunted. Lived it. Loved it.

Cedar arrows too! I was very much dedicated to Traditional Archery.
I tried cedars for a while, but the convenience and speed of carbon are too appealing to me.

That's amazing to hear, man! I go to a range with a lot of trad guys and gals, I've seen many amazing bows, yours would fit right in.

I'm also an instinctive shooter, it's the only way I know how to shoot.

PXL_20210212_012330253.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.