One Good Reason To Not Trust Online Dictionaries!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always go for the lunky old hardback paper version, of which I have several different versions. And there are some misfires in those as well, but not so undependable. Spellcheck is driving me slowly insane, if there is any driving to do. Even when you take the time to change it back to what you wanted, it will change it back. Scream. What's that floating in my beer?

• Haha
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hop Hooligans, The Clinic, Beretta (and it has nothign to do with the gun manufacturer), Blackout Brewing, Tap Room, Our Goat (translated form romanian, original: capra noastra), One Beer Later, Sikaru, Berarescu, are just a few weird names of artizanal micro breweries around here ... so why not have a beer that is named "pubic hair" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've got a Mexican friend who has hysterics whenever he sees a Mitsubishi Pajero (for the Spanish challenged Pajero translates as w****r)

Reactions: mawnansmiff

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Last week we were discussing similar occurrences with jguss though I don't quite remember why I brought it up.

In any case, Mitsubishi have an SUV in Brazil called the "Pajero" .... The word has a rather unfortunate meaning in the rest of South America, however, where Spanish, not Portuguese, is spoken. Closest translation is "tosser" which is more widely used in the UK.

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I find it astonishing that it took 2 years before someone pointed out their error. Still, a funny story to put a smile on your face ?

Regards,

Jay.?
At least the brewery isn't in New Zealand; unlike the leather store which made the same error and is mentioned in the Guardian's coverage:

Beer brand and leather store unwittingly named after Māori word for 'pubic hair' - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/07/beer-brand-and-leather-store-unwittingly-named-after-maori-word-for-pubic-hair

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Last week we were discussing similar occurrences with jguss though I don't quite remember why I brought it up.

In any case, Mitsubishi have an SUV in Brazil called the "Pajero" .... The word has a rather unfortunate meaning in the rest of South America, however, where Spanish, not Portuguese, is spoken. Closest translation is "tosser" which is more widely used in the UK.
Not just Brazil; they have the same model in Europe and AsiaPac too. However I was surprised the first time I saw one in Brazil as although we are Portuguese speaking Spanish is fairly widely understood.

I once went to collect a rental car from Avis at Sydney airport and they offered me a Pajero; they were surprised when I said couldn't possibly drive a vehicle with that name... ...then I (politely and delicately) explained the Spanish slang... ...girl behind the desk went bright red but gave me the keys for a Land Cruiser instead.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Not just Brazil; they have the same model in Europe and AsiaPac too. However I was surprised the first time I saw one in Brazil as although we are Portuguese speaking Spanish is fairly widely understood.

I once went to collect a rental car from Avis at Sydney airport and they offered me a Pajero; they were surprised when I said couldn't possibly drive a vehicle with that name... ...then I (politely and delicately) explained the Spanish slang... ...girl behind the desk went bright red but gave me the keys for a Land Cruiser instead.
I was surprised, while working in São Paulo, at how much of the colloquial language is dedicated to slang for .... well, genitalia, among other things. I think the last instance, which I remember vividly, was giving a meeting and an entire room of people bursting out in laughter. I got the distinct impression that people were waiting for my next "slip up" rather than actually listening to what I was saying. :(

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Buick had to rename one of their vehicles for the Canadian market because the name translated into something else in Quebec."

Come on Mike, you can't just leave it there....what was the vehicle in question?

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: timelord

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Hop Hooligans, The Clinic, Beretta (and it has nothign to do with the gun manufacturer), Blackout Brewing, Tap Room, Our Goat (translated form romanian, original: capra noastra), One Beer Later, Sikaru, Berarescu, are just a few weird names of artizanal micro breweries around here ... so why not have a beer that is named "pubic hair" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
When I was working in Detroit about 5 years ago I went into my favourite bar for Saturday lunch (Big Beaver Tavern, on Big Beaver Road, just off Junction 69 Highway I75... ...who says road planners don't have a sense of humour) I was astounded when the lovely Taylor behind the bar said "We've got a new beer in and I think you'll love it; it's called 'Moose Drool'".

She was right; they had a great range of microbrewery beers but that was by far my favourite.

Sadly the BBT is no more.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
In fairness to the leather store they did their due diligence. They were given the go ahead by a Maori Advisory Executive Council to use the word which has a common meaning and different slang meaning. It isn’t clear if the advisory council informed them of the pubic hair connection or not. Either way, the fact that the leather store tried to do the right thing is either not being reported or is a footnote in some articles. Now if a reporter learned the advisory council’s advice was the word is feather, you can use it but a lot of Maori will think pubic hair that changes the story a bit. Who knows though, Canada has a line of energy drinks called Beaver Buzz and that was not by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.