One Good Reason To Not Trust Online Dictionaries!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I was surprised, while working in São Paulo, at how much of the colloquial language is dedicated to slang for .... well, genitalia, among other things. I think the last instance, which I remember vividly, was giving a meeting and an entire room of people bursting out in laughter. I got the distinct impression that people were waiting for my next "slip up" rather than actually listening to what I was saying. :(
I think that was the problem here. Someone found a literal translation of something without considering the slang. First time I went to Mexico I said something about eggs, “huevos,” without knowing it’s also slang for a feller’s spuds. I don’t remember the context now, only that it elicited quit the chuckle from the people I was talking to. I figured it out and avoided the topic of eggs for the rest of the trip. ?

I think they should have kept the name... unless they are relying on sales in New Zealand. I bet the vast majority of their sales are to people who have no idea even what culture the word comes from. I mean, I would have just assumed that "huruhuru" was just a made up word.

I get so tired of people throwing the term "appropriation" around without considering whether it is positive or negative in its appropriation. Sure, sure, most of the appropriated stuff being bantered in the news is bad. But, rock and roll, fashion, art, foods, jewelry designs... there are a growing number of Native American jewelers who are suing white designers and artists for even using silver and turquoise in their designs, even if the designs are not even close to Native historical designs. And, 90% of the Native designs were stolen from the Spanish European designers to begin with, as Native American never even had knowledge of silversmithing before the Spanish. So, if I make a modern floral pendant using turquoise and silver, I get hundreds of emails from angry SJWs... :::sigh::: Ok, I've vented that... on to cracking open a can of pubic hair to kick back at the end of a hard working day.

Status
Not open for further replies.