PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is the famous 'breath method'. Try it, but don't feel bad or discouraged if it doesn't work for you. I can't make it work.

I was gonna share my technique last night but I didn't want to overwhelm you, but since Brian is mentioning the variety of techniques... this is what I do:
  1. With the pipe away from my face, I take a moderately deep breath.
  2. I put the pipe to my lips and draw as if I were drinking from a straw, letting the smoke fill my mouth. DO NOTE: I draw very gently, as if I were sipping tequila instead of a milk shake. If you draw strongly you'll burn your mouth.
  3. After I finish drawing, I take the pipe away from my mouth and at the same time I exhale the air I breathed in in Step 1, to force any smoke that is trying to come down back up: this keeps me from inhaling it.
  4. I swish the smoke around in my mouth making pumping motions with my cheeck muscles. Sometimes, this causes some smoke to go up to my nose via the upper airways: this is what is known as 'retrohaling' or 'snorking'.
  5. I blow the smoke out. After it's out I exhale again to make sure no smoke remains in my oral cavity or sinuses.
  6. Repeat.
Taking a breath before putting the pipe to my lips and holding the smoke in my mouth but not inhaling it, resembles the motions we make when we go swimming (take a deep breath and hold it), even the inflated cheeks kinda resemble a swimmer. I once spoke with someone from Mexico and the way to smoke puros and pipes was referred to as 'hacer buzitos' because it indeed resembles what we do when swimming.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.
I've never quite seen breath smoking done that way before.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Aw, c'mon; all-KAW-free? It's like 'coffee' but with an R in between.

Ahh, I see now...I was thinking it was a long O.

I had to look it up. "An Icelandic saga":

Ölkofri accidentally sets fire to some valuable woodland belonging to six powerful Icelandic chieftains.

Must be why you had to flee to Canada.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've been saying OHL-koh-free.
That's correct. It IS a long O.
Fan of Norse mythology? Always been fascinated by Egyptian myself though no family history originates there.
Hey! Do not confuse the Eddas with the Sagas. The Sagas are chronicles of actual events. That some 'scholars' nowadays choose not to consider them reliable only shews their ignorance. Fan of the Norse in general, not so much their mythology (Eddas), which is pagan, but my area of research –Norse discovery of the New World (Columbus, meh) and presence in Canada– has made me even more so.

No, I won't add a horned helmet to my bear: the Norse NEVER wore such things.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That's correct. It IS a long O.

Hey! Do not confuse the Eddas with the Sagas. The Sagas are chronicles of actual events. That some 'scholars' nowadays choose not to consider them reliable only shews their ignorance. Fan of the Norse in general, not so much their mythology (Eddas), which is pagan, but my area of research –Norse discovery of the New World (Columbus, meh) and presence in Canada– has made me even more so.
whoa whoa whoa...
all the Sagas are most certainly not factual.

and you believe 100% what medieval, superstitious mariners wrote?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
whoa whoa whoa...
all the Sagas are most certainly not factual.

and you believe 100% what medieval, superstitious mariners wrote?
Thanks for making my point.

Yes, I do believe them. L'Anse aux Meadows proves that the Saga tellers and then writers weren't inventing things to praise themselves (unlike the moderns).

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

So my question is really simple, Im starting to buy some pipe blends but Im not sure on whats the tecnique on pipe smoking; searching on the internet I found various results/discussions, so here it is: Should you pass the smoke to your lungs (like a cigar/cigarette) or taste/sample in in the mouth like a cuban pure?
P.S. If you found any grammar mistakes please tell me, english is not my native language so I might have some few mistakes here and there
Welcome.

Whether one inhales or not depends.
If you've not smoked before then I'd advise not to inhale.

On the other hand, I switched from a 35 year cigarette habit to a pipe around ten years ago, so I suck that sweet sweet smoke down into my lungs. [Not inhaling for me would be like going to a pub and ordering a lemonade, lol]
I can't imagine not inhaling.

Keep in mind that I smoke mild, mild to medium blends with mild nicotine levels.

Some of the more interesting blends are quite strong where inhaling would definitely not be recommended. That's why I avoid strong blends with high nicotine.

Last edited: