Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
A couple observations:

I had one crappy smoking session before I adopted the Francesco method of pipe packing but I also headed the advice I read here about proper drying. I often pack my pipe, esp. when using the only aromatic I have Haddo’s, and smoke it a few hours later, sometimes even the next morning. Don’t bother with cardboard matches, it’s a real pain to get the pipe going with them.

Don’t give to much consideration to people who seem to be struggling keeping their pipe lite etc., after a few months at it. Obviously, somethings not right with them...the whole thing isn’t that difficult, you don’t have to be Carl Jung to figure it out but I guess it Kant hurt.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

So my question is really simple, Im starting to buy some pipe blends but Im not sure on whats the tecnique on pipe smoking; searching on the internet I found various results/discussions, so here it is: Should you pass the smoke to your lungs (like a cigar/cigarette) or taste/sample in in the mouth like a cuban pure?
P.S. If you found any grammar mistakes please tell me, english is not my native language so I might have some few mistakes here and there
I think I just recently have gotten decent at the breath method. At this point I put the pipe in my mouth and do nothing but breath through my nose. I find my tongue naturally moving on its own slowly which draws the smoke gently. After about 10 sec I find there is smoke collected so I let it out. It takes practice however to not consciously draw. But it works well I think and no risk of burning really. May have to puff a bit to ensure it doesnt go out sometimes which is probably do to improper packing.

Jan 27, 2020
I think I just recently have gotten decent at the breath method. At this point I put the pipe in my mouth and do nothing but breath through my nose. I find my tongue naturally moving on its own slowly which draws the smoke gently. After about 10 sec I find there is smoke collected so I let it out. It takes practice however to not consciously draw. But it works well I think and no risk of burning really. May have to puff a bit to ensure it doesnt go out sometimes which is probably do to improper packing.

I find my bowl bellows a bit while using the breath method. Not sure if it’s a result of bad form.