PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
this is what I do:
  1. With the pipe away from my face, I take a moderately deep breath.
  2. I put the pipe to my lips and draw as if I were drinking from a straw, letting the smoke fill my mouth. DO NOTE: I draw very gently, as if I were sipping tequila instead of a milk shake. If you draw strongly you'll burn your mouth.
  3. After I finish drawing, I take the pipe away from my mouth and at the same time I exhale the air I breathed in in Step 1, to force any smoke that is trying to come down back up: this keeps me from inhaling it.
  4. I swish the smoke around in my mouth making pumping motions with my cheeck muscles. Sometimes, this causes some smoke to go up to my nose via the upper airways: this is what is known as 'retrohaling' or 'snorking'.
  5. I blow the smoke out. After it's out I exhale again to make sure no smoke remains in my oral cavity or sinuses.
  6. Repeat.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

I applaud the effort here, this is more work that I have ever put into anything. Including grad school lol.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I just take some smoke in my mouth, while giving a little tongue,mouth movement as I force it back out the mouth /nose. I don't like the breathe method, personally. Everyone has their own way I suppose

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I am still very new to this. I draw slowly, then exhale right away (I don't inhale). I have tried retrohaling, which does not bring me the flavor so many others identify. And I figure I'd rather expose fewer mucous membranes to smoke if at all possible. So I draw in, and then expel. I always use a 9mm charcoal filter which I feel provides the perfect amount of resistance to draw with the right cadence. I very rarely get a hot pipe or tongue bite... YMMV.

I am good for maybe 1-3 bowls per week.

Cheers
Drew

I tried to find my original post about this, but it was so long ago, it is just hard to find, but one excerp was...
I don't draw in consciously on the stem at all. Sure, I give it a few puffs to get it going, then I just let the pipe stay in my clench. As I breath through my nose, my gullet reflexively just slowly bellows the pipe slowly. I don't do anything. This is called breathsmoking. I never intentionally draw in any smoke, it just sort of works its way into my mouth and lingers till it cycles back out with more smoke. Slow slow slow. If you are one that has to pull the pipe out of your mouth to say words and communicate, you may find yourself relighting your pipe

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's correct. It IS a long O.

Hey! Do not confuse the Eddas with the Sagas. The Sagas are chronicles of actual events. That some 'scholars' nowadays choose not to consider them reliable only shews their ignorance. Fan of the Norse in general, not so much their mythology (Eddas), which is pagan, but my area of research –Norse discovery of the New World (Columbus, meh) and presence in Canada– has made me even more so.

No, I won't add a horned helmet to my bear: the Norse NEVER wore such things.
wait you're saying great warriors rarely put handles ontop of their heads before battle? No way.

Reactions: Chicken Cod

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Ahh, the Pickelhaube is another matter entirely. If the first ones –the ones issued to the troops– hadn't been made from leather they coulda even been used as weapons.

Shit like this ?, though, is just ridiculous (compare to the one in the inset, an actual, real helmet of the kind the Norse wore):

statue-of-a-Viking.jpg

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020

Much maligned, but I do like his method and have used it.
I like the individual strand method. Im planning a 52 part youtube series on the method, its clearly superior as evidenced by the efforts big tobacco has made to supress it.

If you start early, you can pack and smoke as many as one bowls a day, bonus points for packing by size.