PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I turned 64 last December 18. My body feels like 85 and my mind feels like 100. I am a cripple with Demetria. and some really bad Neuropathy, along with severe stenosis in my back and neck I can't drive anymore, I rarely get out of the house. When I do get out of the house I have to wear a neck brace and I have to have my wheel chair with me. I am not bitching as I had a blast travelling, partying and had my own businesses for 27 years. I dropped out of Boston University after only getting a 2 year degree. I was all about making money and I was good at it. Before 1990 when I owned my first business, I made good money in the car business. That was like shooting ducks in a barrel compared to my previous job. That job was as a mfgs. rep in the jewelry industry. Back then you had to have all kind of city maps, tons of change for the pay phones you had to use back then. No GPS, no cell phones, I once called on a guy 7 fucking times till I got him to write with me. After he did, I taught him to run bullshit sales.

I played sports my whole life and ruined my body. 3 back surgeries with the last being a spinal fusion which screwed me up badly. A shoulder surgery on my left arm, my serving arm. I lost at least 15 mph. I lost some serious distance on the golf course.

I played basket ball, street hockey, lacrosse. I live in a development that has a full court basket ball with lights for at night. A tennis center with 4 Har Tru courts which is the same as clay. We have a great pool here as well. It sucks I cannot take advantage of all they have. When I first moved in I used everything. They have a full size gym with all kinds of equipment. Now my quarterly 890.00 HOA fee goes to waste unless my kids use it which they do at times.

Sometimes you get a real shit sandwich, but I had a blast so I cannot complain. My sig tag tells you what I think. I have lived a great life and have 4 great kids so yeah I cannot play my sports anymore but I still have my pipes and tobacco. Here is my thoughts on my life, it is my main tattoo.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My Great Grandfather Mr Arrow who was the Father of my Fathers Mother was born sometime in the late 1850s. He died shortly before I was born. He had two boys who both survived WW1. He was a what I would guess would be described as a property/land speculator. He had a brass plate on his door which said 'Albert Arrow. Carpenter, Joiner and Undertaker'. He worked until his late 80s and when he was put in an old people home they made him stop smoking so he promptly died in protest. To the best of my knowledge he was either 99 or a tad north of 100+. Everyone I knew in my family seemed to motor on into their late 80s puffing away on their pipes and hand rolled cigarettes. I am just hoping I can replicate the same survival numbers!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My Great Grandfather Mr Arrow who was the Father of my Fathers Mother was born sometime in the late 1850s. He died shortly before I was born. He had two boys who both survived WW1. He was a what I would guess would be described as a property/land speculator. He had a brass plate on his door which said 'Albert Arrow. Carpenter, Joiner and Undertaker'. He worked until his late 80s and when he was put in an old people home they made him stop smoking so he promptly died in protest. To the best of my knowledge he was either 99 or a tad north of 100+. Everyone I knew in my family seemed to motor on into their late 80s puffing away on their pipes and hand rolled cigarettes. I am just hoping I can replicate the same survival numbers!
hate to tell you when you're 79 364 days old some idiot playing with a trebuchet is going to hit you with a fridge. Sorry to ruin the surprise.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m 51, my mother’s mother lived to be 99. My mothers father lived to 89. Father’s mother lived into her late 80’s. Dad’s dad died very young. 3 out of 4 seems like a good chance for a long life. Exercise, enjoy my tobacco in moderation and try to laugh a lot!

I'm definitely not the oldest, but I am surprised by how young some of you guys are. I really only expected those over 65 to respond to this.

A few years ago, I noticed that I was always the oldest person in whatever group I was in, which sucks, because being the oldest, they want to make me their fucking leader. So, I end up on boards and all sorts of committees. Especially in such a small town that I live in. I end up on everything art, aesthetic, or design related. It kinda sucks. In my 30's and 40's, I could join city committees, and goof off. Now, I am in charge of shit and it sucks.
Even my pipe club... when I joined it, they were all like 20-40 years old, and by the third meeting, they voted me in charge. It kinda sucks getting old.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I'm definitely not the oldest, but I am surprised by how young some of you guys are. I really only expected those over 65 to respond to this.

A few years ago, I noticed that I was always the oldest person in whatever group I was in, which sucks, because being the oldest, they want to make me their fucking leader. So, I end up on boards and all sorts of committees. Especially in such a small town that I live in. I end up on everything art, aesthetic, or design related. It kinda sucks. In my 30's and 40's, I could join city committees, and goof off. Now, I am in charge of shit and it sucks.
Even my pipe club... when I joined it, they were all like 20-40 years old, and by the third meeting, they voted me in charge. It kinda sucks getting old.

Just say no....