PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Ambien or the generic doesn't make me feel groggy or any trace of whatever the next day and lets me sleep at least 6 hrs a night.

Reactions: SoddenJack

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I have had insomnia for decades. I found one medicine called Trazadone that was non narcotic as I wasn't going there. It worked for years and then one day it just stopped. I told my doctor no narcotics so he put me on Seroquel and I have been using it ever since. They call it an anti psychotic but it is used for sleep most of the time and I sleep great on it. Insomnia is one of the worst things you can get. Not sleeping totally messes up my ability to function .
I'm 66 and developed chronic insomnia out of the blue at 39. When it started could only sleep 1-2 hours a night for 4 days running and then mentally crashed. that's when I started with meds. Been on a combo of Trazodone and Ambien, (neither alone worked well), for years with good results. So called "sleep hygiene" methods-behavioral approached don't really seem to do much good for chronic insomnia, only acute insomnia.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Hey Rigidman - it could be the 5g that's keeping you up - They are turning on the Fifth Generation Mcirwave technology all over the USA and they run the 'chron jobs' throughout the night - that's basically the system restarting itself and communicating with the small cells(typically on light-posts) that have exhausted bandwidth.
I won't get into the health effects since it's backed by conspiracy - mm. microwaves being broadcasted - but they can and will keep people from having a restful nights sleep - I have been up everynight arnoud 2 or 3am for over a year already due to this. puffy

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I usually sleep well, I could sleep for 15 hours once I'm out. But, lately I have had some awful insomnia.. I believe it's related to a new medicine I've been taking, Humira. I reported the side effect, they say it's not their perfect super drug's fault.

I had insomnia + "restless leg" syndrome a few nights ago. what a strange sensation.. really wild stuff, my legs were moving themselves.

As far as the O.P... I often have old farts when I'm constipated, they smell like a dusty attic.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Old Farts Disease for me at this time in my life, means that I will be needing to be changing my underwear, Laugh if you want, but it will catch up to you in time.

Reactions: mau1

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Hey Rigidman - it could be the 5g that's keeping you up - They are turning on the Fifth Generation Mcirwave technology all over the USA and they run the 'chron jobs' throughout the night - that's basically the system restarting itself and communicating with the small cells(typically on light-posts) that have exhausted bandwidth.
I won't get into the health effects since it's backed by conspiracy - mm. microwaves being broadcasted - but they can and will keep people from having a restful nights sleep - I have been up everynight arnoud 2 or 3am for over a year already due to this. puffy
I can't believe I'm the first to comment on this!

200w-1.gif

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.

Nope, this started before cell phones were even a theory.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm lucky, I guess, being a standard nocturnal sleeper, but the need is also impelling and a bit of a drive emotionally. Both my late wife and my wife now was/is an owl, someone who is happy going to bed about 1:30 or 2 a.m. My natural bedtime is about 11:30 p.m., but I have met them in the middle, at about 12:30 or 1 a.m. I need the usual 7 or 8 hours, all very normal. But in those last two waking hours, I'm pretty emotionally unsteady, like a baby who needs sleep. I was a very wired kid, had to go out and walk or bike to get calm, but sleep was always a strong need. Lots of weird effects in the Navy, shipboard, with the "rack" rolling and pitching. I slept but with an awareness of the motion, to hang on to the bunk strap to stay in place. Some guys would play a soft radio, which was distracting to me, but I managed. I pulled a midnight to zero eight hundred watch, and that was disruptive but gave me lots of alone time which was good.

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
Insomnia hate it,but I now just accept it. Tried the pill route,puts me out but doesnt keep me out. I usually go to sleep around 10,up at 3,then I lay in bed and start thinking,that's the problem! My wife tell me to just shut my brain off,easier said than done!

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Never really put much thought into in. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I don't. Always been like that as far back as I can remember.
The nights I do, I get between 4-6 hours. I've always used it to my advantage. Hit the gym for around 04:30 time I finish, work then evening with the family. Only in my late thirties thou so after reading about some or your sleeping habits, it seems, one, I'm no where near alone and two, as I get older I hope it changes for my body's sake but as most of you are still going strong I won't worry to much.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I'm also a terrible sleeper...even as a kid. It gets worse as I get older, more aggravated, and more stressed out. But, I refuse to dose myself with any "sleep aids". However....I found my cure!

Here's my miracle:
Turn on your TV. Sit back, get comfortable, and watch reruns of Bob Ross painting a picture. It's like taking a handful of roofies! This guy's like a televised Mickey Finn. I cannot keep my eyes open.

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Seems like the majority of people I've met in the pipe smoking community have insomnia. Maybe that's part of what led them to the relaxing properties of pipe smoking.
I had one bout with it about 42 years ago, when I was house sitting my brother's house in White Rock NM. There simply wasn't enough stimulation around and I found my self unable to sleep for about 6 weeks. That's my only experience with insomjnia, except for the occasional sleepless night, once or twice a year.
Granted, when I was younger I could easily do all nighters but these days, no way. I've always slept deeply and for about 6 hours with the occasional 8 to 10 hours. I drift off in seconds when my head hits the pillow.
Meditation isn't compllcated. It's just breathing and allowing your thoughts to go how they go, without resistance. Eventually all of the mind shit and static evaporates and there's just breathing and being. No incense, chanting, candles or dancing elephants. Of course if any of those help, great, but they're exterior props, not really necessary.

Last edited:
I've always slept deeply and for about 6 hours with the occasional 8 to 10 hours.
Damn, you braggart!! I have a feeling that if I ever slept 8 hours that I would feel awful. I have no idea, because I just have no idea.
On really difficult nights, I just read all night long or draw. I've had quite a few three book nights. :(

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I used to be able to go to sleep within a minute of my head hitting the pillow, and wake up in the exact same position 8 hours later. Ever since I turned 40, however, my sleep gradually became poorer. I would wake at 2 am or 3 am and not be able to get back to sleep for hours. Maybe it's stress doing it to me.
I once used Trazodone but the second time I took it, the uvula (hanging "thingy") at the back of my throat blew up so big that I could swallow it and then huff it back up onto my tongue. Needless to say, I didn't try it a third time.
Prolonged physical activity does give me a good nights sleep but at my age that's not realistic.

And speaking of age, flatulence combined with hemorrhoids and sleeping naked can have some unexpected consequences if you know what I mean.puffy

• Haha
Reactions: beefeater33
Status
Not open for further replies.