PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I've always had insomnia since I was about 13. Never bothered me that I could go 3-4 days without sleep, sometimes it'd be 5-6 days. One time I was awake for nearly 2 weeks, I got a little squirrelly to say the least. In the Army I used it to my advantage. I got paid to take peoples watch. Made more money than my paycheck.

But now I'm 56. I sleep almost every night. But only 4-5 hours. So what do I do? I come here and ask questions. Or do research, watch restoration videos. I find pipe restoration Interesting and it calmed my tinkeritis. I'm not illogical, I know when something is working to leave it alone. But sometimes I need to know how something works. So when it breaks I get to find out.

I've always had this malady. Toys strewn across the floor in pieces, but they all were reassembled properly and worked. There was a time, early on when that wasn't so.

I guess since I got insomnia I need to do stuff. Just watching tv wasn't enough. We only had a tv in the living room so mom would come see who was up screwing around. I always explained it to the Dr.as its like my mind is on fire. It won't shut off. Always on, solving, figuring, thinking. The Dr. Told me "rest is important" so I learned to meditate. Go off to some faraway imaginary location. Waterfalls never worked for me.

Still, on occasion, I have bouts of insomnia. One Dr. Had me tell stories to myself. It seemed to work, sort of like the meditation. Sometimes I wished there was a switch I could use to turn it off and just go to sleep because now it kicks my butt to be awake. My body doesn't like it. But its content with 4-5 hours of sleep a night. I wish my brain and body would get together and sort the matter out between them and leave me out of it.

Thanks for stopping by.

As a kid, I would also go weeks without sleep. It really never bothered me till I hit my mid 40's, and then it was just harder to function. I used prescription sleeping pills, with all sorts of terrible side effects. But, when I found that smoking a really high nicotine blend before bed, I would sleep much more naturally. I still only get about 5 hours of sleep a night, but I am much more rested than if I had of taken a sleeping pill.
But, it takes something really strong like a GH rope or Cotton Boll Twist, something that give you the spins and gut wrenches. But, if you'll eat a slice of fruit or a bite of chocolate when you get those nauseous feelings, those bad side effects are lessened. Just smoke till you get that woozy heavy eye feeling, and then roll over into the bed. I have fallen asleep on my back deck many a night while in the middle of smoking.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Never slept good. Even at 53, I'm lucky if I get 4 hours sleep. I end up reading or something to kill the time. Lately been taking antihistamine to knock myself out. Didn't sleep 3 days last week and slept all day yesterday. I know sleeping is important, but I just can't fall asleep easy.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
As a kid, I would also go weeks without sleep. It really never bothered me till I hit my mid 40's, and then it was just harder to function. I used prescription sleeping pills, with all sorts of terrible side effects. But, when I found that smoking a really high nicotine blend before bed, I would sleep much more naturally. I still only get about 5 hours of sleep a night, but I am much more rested than if I had of taken a sleeping pill.
But, it takes something really strong like a GH rope or Cotton Boll Twist, something that give you the spins and gut wrenches. But, if you'll eat a slice of fruit or a bite of chocolate when you get those nauseous feelings, those bad side effects are lessened. Just smoke till you get that woozy heavy eye feeling, and then roll over into the bed. I have fallen asleep on my back deck many a night while in the middle of smoking.

Yeah sleeping pills, I hear you. Like being in a fog the next day. Body all heavy and feels like everything takes much more effort. Like being surrounded by mud and just fighting to get to the edge to climb out.

I couldn't do it. But they were always trying to impress upon me the importance of sleep. I always believed one day it'd sort itself out, and it has for the most part.

The #1 thing that made me stop with the sleeping pills is I woke up in the middle of the living room one day, entire family standing around looking at me like I was a Martian, because I don't sleep walk. I may talk in my sleep, but walking, that was new.

I don't know about you, but the dreams and nightmares, no thank you. Weird stuff. Scary stuff. I don't want to go to those places, see those, things!!! I'd rather be awake tinkering, reading, or watching tv. They couldn't make a movie like my nightmares. They'd think the people had lost their minds or it was being filmed by schizophrenics.

Dr. Claimed side affects. I said the brain don't like it and the body agrees. So we'll stick with meditation thank you.

Thanks

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I wanted to mention, the meditation I learned was from a psychiatrist. Not eastern at all. There was no bowl with whatever going around it as it rang or sang. She said I needed to find a way for for my body to rest and my mind. I was confused because how does the mind rest if you're using it? Anyway it worked, sort of. Didn't get the giggles or squirrelly after being awake 5-6 days. I guess controlling what your mind thinks, giving direction, is why it worked.

I understand when you sleep, your body heals, your mind rests and the next day its awake and ready for the day. Mine was like that ALL the time. Let's go!! Lets do something!! What do you want to do?!! Can we do this or that?!! One of my teachers once told my parents she thought I was a genius. But her "suggestions" would cost money my parents didn't have and I'd be away from my friends so I screwed up the tests on purpose so they were like yeah No!!! No thank you.

I remember my brother got in trouble for GTA and so he had probation and court ordered therapy and one day the Dr. wanted the family to come in. I thought he was a weenie so I screwed with him and it backfired, now he wants to see me too. So I kept screwing with him. By time I finally got tired of it and told him I was screwing with him he thought I was antisocial with psychotic tendencies.

My mom was freaking out. Thought she had a little serial killer in the making. I think my dad knew I was screwing with the Dr. If he did or didn't know he never let on. It was one of those things we left where it was. After telling the truth the Dr. didn't wish to see me anymore. So that was good. My dad was laughing on the way home. My mom smacked his arm told him I deserved a spanking. Never happened. I think he was disappointed that he didn't think of it.

Thanks

Reactions: workman

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A problem I, thankfully, never really experienced. When I want to sleep, I go somewhere in my mind. I do not take concerns/problems/worries to bed. My wife was envious. I simply take my mind to a favored beach, mountain retreat, a duck hunt with my dog, anything to remove current events from my brain. It's worked for me for decades.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I've worked nights for 22 years. I find it worst in May and October. I wonder if it's that in May I'm getting extra sun and in October, I'm deprived of it. I find slow release melatonin works the best but I fear that it will stop working if I take it regularly.

Complete darkness, warm feet, white noise are also helpful.

Reactions: mau1 and SoddenJack

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can usually go to sleep any where and have been blessed or cursed with the ability to get by on 2-3 hours of sleep for several days. Those days are long gone but I remember them.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I wanted to mention, the meditation I learned was from a psychiatrist. Not eastern at all. There was no bowl with whatever going around it as it rang or sang. She said I needed to find a way for for my body to rest and my mind. I was confused because how does the mind rest if you're using it? Anyway it worked, sort of. Didn't get the giggles or squirrelly after being awake 5-6 days. I guess controlling what your mind thinks, giving direction, is why it worked.

I understand when you sleep, your body heals, your mind rests and the next day its awake and ready for the day. Mine was like that ALL the time. Let's go!! Lets do something!! What do you want to do?!! Can we do this or that?!! One of my teachers once told my parents she thought I was a genius. But her "suggestions" would cost money my parents didn't have and I'd be away from my friends so I screwed up the tests on purpose so they were like yeah No!!! No thank you.

I remember my brother got in trouble for GTA and so he had probation and court ordered therapy and one day the Dr. wanted the family to come in. I thought he was a weenie so I screwed with him and it backfired, now he wants to see me too. So I kept screwing with him. By time I finally got tired of it and told him I was screwing with him he thought I was antisocial with psychotic tendencies.

My mom was freaking out. Thought she had a little serial killer in the making. I think my dad knew I was screwing with the Dr. If he did or didn't know he never let on. It was one of those things we left where it was. After telling the truth the Dr. didn't wish to see me anymore. So that was good. My dad was laughing on the way home. My mom smacked his arm told him I deserved a spanking. Never happened. I think he was disappointed that he didn't think of it.

Thanks
Sounds like orbitofrontal syndrome. Kinda.

Reactions: anotherbob

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Sounds like orbitofrontal syndrome. Kinda.

I was a teenager. Like most teenagers, I didn't want to be some place when I could be doing something fun or whatever, wherever but there.

He stole a car with some friends, one of the friends wrecked it because they were drunk. My brother was drunk and asleep in the backseat. He also had a head injury and had amnesia. We had to talk to him to try to get him to remember. I saw it as an opportunity to get a little revenge.

I guess that's why the judge let him off so easy. I think the judge heard him arguing with my mom so that's why the therapy. Since we were low income we had to go to this state facility. I think the Dr. graduated from small town nowhere university.

He couldn't have been very bright. He let a teenager outsmart him.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajangan

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Sleeping is something I am good at, but reading this thread certainly makes me realise I take it for granted! On any given day I can go to bed at 7pm if I feel like it, and sleep 11 hours.

Most the time its ok. As you get older you start to feel the affects more and more. I've tried melatonin sleeping pills, otc sleeping pills, Benadryl, Nyquil, scotch, bourbon, etc...

A few years back the Dr. had me cut out all caffeine and other stimulants to see if it had any affect. No it didn't. I still drink diet caffeine free soda but I refuse to give up my coffee. I did caffeine free for awhile, but never again.

I guess I've just learned to deal with it. The only bad thing is I have a bad back, had a dozen surgeries, and sometimes it wears on me. I get stiff and the pain is terrible. But I'd still rather suffer through than take sleeping pills.

When I was younger it was like having extra time to do stuff I enjoyed. A couple years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure. But the Dr. said to have my cholesterol levels.

With the studies they're doing on telomeres and genetics, who knows, maybe one day we can get injections that will let you live to be 200-300+ Years old. But you'd probably have to sell your soul to afford it.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
In my younger days I drove a truck over the road. I could run all week on an hour power nap a day. Now that I am older and have a regular job I get a total of about 5 or 6 a night but never continuous. I also have bad sleep walking, thankfully over the years my wife and I have learned how to deal with it. I have tried to leave the house truck keys in hand. like cosmic I also eat in my sleep and can get violent from time to time. Sleep disorders are no fun

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
In my younger days I drove a truck over the road. I could run all week on an hour power nap a day. Now that I am older and have a regular job I get a total of about 5 or 6 a night but never continuous. I also have bad sleep walking, thankfully over the years my wife and I have learned how to deal with it. I have tried to leave the house truck keys in hand. like cosmic I also eat in my sleep and can get violent from time to time. Sleep disorders are no fun

I never did the eating thing. Have no idea why. I love junk food and comfort food.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have had insomnia for decades. I found one medicine called Trazadone that was non narcotic as I wasn't going there. It worked for years and then one day it just stopped. I told my doctor no narcotics so he put me on Seroquel and I have been using it ever since. They call it an anti psychotic but it is used for sleep most of the time and I sleep great on it. Insomnia is one of the worst things you can get. Not sleeping totally messes up my ability to function .

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Whats bad is I would eat thing I would never eat awake
I have had insomnia for decades. I found one medicine called Trazadone that was non narcotic as I wasn't going there. It worked for years and then one day it just stopped. I told my doctor no narcotics so he put me on Seroquel and I have been using it ever since. They call it an anti psychotic but it is used for sleep most of the time and I sleep great on it. Insomnia is one of the worst things you can get. Not sleeping totally messes up my ability to function .

Yep, they got me on it now. BUT also to help with my pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.