PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I enjoy Pegasus quite a bit. The first time I smoked it was in a cob while driving home from the lake. It was great and I was hooked. I have a few pounds aging away but haven't smoked any in a while.

OJKB is a good smoker too. I enjoyed it while walking the dog at night a few years ago. I need to spend some quality time smoking it in the near future but I have to finish off some half full jars first.

I will agree with most on this thread that C&D has some outstanding burley blends. There is something for everyone that likes burley.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Incredibly Smooth by CD standard. Yes No rough edges. But I smoked a bowl of Big n Burley last night and woke with a mustache.
I think Big 'n' Burley is the strongest tobacco C&D produces, in terms of nicotine content. Is there anything stronger? It's also subtly complex and delicious with just the right amount of condimental Latakia and Orientals and Perique. Good stuff!

Edit: Burley Flake #3 is close in terms of strength. I haven't tried all the Burley Flakes yet. Is there anything stronger??

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I think Big 'n' Burley is the strongest tobacco C&D produces, in terms of nicotine content. Is there anything stronger? It's also subtly complex and delicious with just the right amount of condimental Latakia and Orientals and Perique. Good stuff!

Edit: Burley Flake #3 is close in terms of strength. I haven't tried all the Burley Flakes yet. Is there anything stronger??
Burley Flake #1 is pretty damn strong, but I haven't had big and burley to compare.

Reactions: RonB and Winnipeger

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Of OJKB and Pegasus I prefer Pegasus. That was my favorite C&D burley until recently. Winchester may have unseated it. Need to do some more comparison to confirm

Reactions: RonB and Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Of OJKB and Pegasus I prefer Pegasus. That was my favorite C&D burley until recently. Winchester may have unseated it. Need to do some more comparison to confirm

Winchester is an entirely different animal, so I don’t compare it with Pegasus or OJKB which are of the same genre. Winchester is Red Virginia and Unsweetened, Burley Cavendish. —Lots of Red Virginia.

Winchester is richly flavored and was an instant like for me. So much so that I’ve over-cellared — if that’s possible. I say over-cellared because I find I don’t reach for it regularly. It’s a great, change of pace treat and I highly recommend it, but an odd duck from my stable of burley blends.

I like mild tobaccos that punch way above their weight in flavor and where that flavor comes from the tobacco. In that regard, Pegasus, Crooner, Winchester, OJK, Uhles 00, Granger all deliver.

Reactions: RonB and Winnipeger

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I prefer Pegasus to the OJK blends.

Pegasus is one of the few Burleys I’ve had that showed a substantial improvement after (several years of) aging. Of course it could have been the vintage of the leaf more than the age. No way to know.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I prefer Pegasus to the OJK blends.

Pegasus is one of the few Burleys I’ve had that showed a substantial improvement after (several years of) aging. Of course it could have been the vintage of the leaf more than the age. No way to know.

But it’s a trade off because while it may sport a rough edge when fresh — I’ve found it offers more complexity of flavors that weave in and out. Either way, I like it. Great comfort blend. Age mellows it into an easy-going, all-day smoke.

OJK Blue already has that aged-Pegasus mellowness and it’s a bit sweeter too.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
But it’s a trade off because while it may sport a rough edge when fresh — I’ve found it offers more complexity of flavors that weave in and out. Either way, I like it. Great comfort blend. Age mellows it into an easy-going, all-day smoke.

We basically have the same smoking tastes except I prefer swr and you prefer granger. We both enjoy Pegasus and we also both smoke straight billiards. I just picked up another 2 lbs of Pegasus in that 15% off c&d bulk sale a month or so ago.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal

That's a perfect description for both.