Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Most interesting, thanks for the fulsome reply! I quite enjoyed the one packet of Pinkerton-era Granger that I smoked, so I must've been lucky and snagged a good one. It would have been probably at least 10 years old, and the flavor was a bit deeper and fruitier than what I get from the current STG, but that could just be a result of the aging.
When others mention Lane-era, is that not different from Pinkerton?
I wonder if anyone alive has, or has smoked, any Liggett & Myers Granger. Wouldn't it be cool to do a vertical tasting?
Oh, and sorry about the hijacking! That's more on me, really. Thanks for indulging me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Grangerous

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Ray, you and I seem to have very similar tastes. Pegasus and OJK Blue. I also recall from a previous thread that you drink sweetened tea to accompany a bowl, correct me if I’m mistaken. — I also find that hot tea with honey really makes Granger’s flavor pop for me. They compliment well. I drink unsweetened black or coffee with just cream with my C&D blends.

As for the 2014 runs I think that was about the year that STG took over or thereabouts. Please let me know what you think of the newest run. — I won’t need to purchase Granger again for quite some time. I’m well cellared. Thanks, Ray
I think I'll smoke Granger as my first smoke of the day with my morning coffee. I had to quit drinking iced tea and hot tea because it gives me heartburn. I'll let you know what I think of the current run of Granger.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
As for the 2014 runs I think that was about the year that STG took over or thereabouts. Please let me know what you think of the newest run. — I won’t need to purchase Granger again for quite some time. I’m well cellared. Thanks, Ray
I just had my first bowl of the current run of Granger that is manufactured in Denmark. Upon opening the tub I noticed a more fruitier scent then the 2014 version. It took forever for the new run to stay lit and that surprised me since the leaf was not all that wet. I noticed that it was sweeter then the 2014 version. The 2014 was more bitter and I noticed more of an anise taste, almost like Half & Half. The current run doesn't have that anise taste. The current run burns longer then 2014, but it took me at least 6 lights to get it to stay lit unlike the 2014 run, but that could be that the 2014 run had some age on it. I can't pinpoint it but the current run almost tastes like the current run of Half & Half only sweeter. Bottom line.... I like it and plan to buy more. I'm not much of a reviewer so I hope that what I've written will help those who want to try Granger. I give it 3 out of four stars. I deducted 1 star because of the lighting problem.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I just had my first bowl of the current run of Granger that is manufactured in Denmark. Upon opening the tub I noticed a more fruitier scent then the 2014 version. It took forever for the new run to stay lit and that surprised me since the leaf was not all that wet. I noticed that it was sweeter then the 2014 version. The 2014 was more bitter and I noticed more of an anise taste, almost like Half & Half. The current run doesn't have that anise taste. The current run burns longer then 2014, but it took me at least 6 lights to get it to stay lit unlike the 2014 run, but that could be that the 2014 run had some age on it. I can't pinpoint it but the current run almost tastes like the current run of Half & Half only sweeter. Bottom line.... I like it and plan to buy more. I'm not much of a reviewer so I hope that what I've written will help those who want to try Granger. I give it 3 out of four stars. I deducted 1 star because of the lighting problem.
Thanks, Ray. Well now I’m going to have to order a 7 ounce tin to compare the the 12 ounce can I cracked last week.

Most of my cellared Granger is from 2020 and newer, each can has the white warning label. I depleted the last of my cans without a warning label. Shame…cause those were safer. ☝️🤪

So some of those may have been circa 2015-16 and I’m sure were made by STG.

Now you’ve got me very curious — and I do appreciate you getting back to me.

Happy to hear you enjoyed it, Ray—since we share similar likes of several blends, I value your opinions.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
A forum member has shared that between OJK Blue and Pegasus, he favors OJK Blue. I recently asked why. He replied that Pegasus has an off-putting sourness. This brief conversation led to a back to back bowls. In fact, I just finished both and I swim in nicotine.
View attachment 188163
I’m glad these two blends exist, because along with C&D Burley Flake #2, these comprise my three favorite C&D offerings; Pegasus, OJK Blue and Burley Flake #2.

In short, I prefer Pegasus. There’s a tannic quality to Pegasus not found in the smoother, sweeter OJK Blue and no shortage of flavor in Pegasus. While sporting an occasional rough edge, Pegasus at once delivers a gentle walnut sweetness, a sourness, tannic bitterness, a buttered popped corn sensation, baking spices and a room-filling creamy smoke that is the very definition of comfort tobacco. It’s a masterful blend worthy of cellaring.

Your thoughts…
Got some BF#2 on the way. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ky pipemaster

Lurker
Dec 7, 2022
Thanks, Ray. Well now I’m going to have to order a 7 ounce tin to compare the the 12 ounce can I cracked last week.

Most of my cellared Granger is from 2020 and newer, each can has the white warning label. I depleted the last of my cans without a warning label. Shame…cause those were safer. ☝️🤪

So some of those may have been circa 2015-16 and I’m sure were made by STG.

Now you’ve got me very curious — and I do appreciate you getting back to me.

Happy to hear you enjoyed it, Ray—since we share similar likes of several blends, I value your opinions.
let us know what you think of the 7 ounce tin because if the 12 ounce is any better than the 7 I would be chain smoking the stuff

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’ll have to try OJK blue before I can have a defined opinion. But I will say that there are only two blends I have tried that if I could never smoke again I would be absolutely devastated. One is Sir Walter Raleigh regular and the other is Pegasus. @Grangerous We have very similar tastes but ironically something in granger irritates the heck out of my mouth.
When I first tried Pegasus I was seriously like Yack, it seemed really sour and foul but it was fresh, after it was jarred for a few months it transformed into something I smoked 5 bowls of in one afternoon and I hadn't done that since I discovered Five Brothers. You might want to revisit if you still have some on hand...

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
When I first tried Pegasus I was seriously like Yack, it seemed really sour and foul but it was fresh, after it was jarred for a few months it transformed into something I smoked 5 bowls of in one afternoon and I hadn't done that since I discovered Five Brothers. You might want to revisit if you still have some on hand...
I said I would be devastated if I couldn’t smoke it again. I smoke it almost every day.

Reactions: vosBghos

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I've been smoking a lot of these 2 lately, and it's tough to compare them. They each have their place.

OJK Blue is just a no nonsense smooth burley smoke, it doesn't have much going for it, but it's great for mindless puffing.

Pegasus is still no nonsense, but it is more full and rich in flavor and has that C&D roughness around the edges sometimes to remind you you're smoking tobacco.

Both outstanding burley blends and deserve the love they receive.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I totally forgot about this thread, and that makes me a little sad.

But this picture is my life in a nutshell.
Back left OJK blue, back right Carter Hall.
View attachment 209568
And after years of this I can tell you for a fact pegasus has the most nicotine. 👍
Briar Fox and OJK Blue share some similar aspects in my opinion. They are both incredibly smooth.