PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
A forum member has shared that between OJK Blue and Pegasus, he favors OJK Blue. I recently asked why. He replied that Pegasus has an off-putting sourness. This brief conversation led to a back to back bowls. In fact, I just finished both and I swim in nicotine.
07AC3703-F84E-4194-BFD6-05EB1F8708E8.jpeg
I’m glad these two blends exist, because along with C&D Burley Flake #2, these comprise my three favorite C&D offerings; Pegasus, OJK Blue and Burley Flake #2.

In short, I prefer Pegasus. There’s a tannic quality to Pegasus not found in the smoother, sweeter OJK Blue and no shortage of flavor in Pegasus. While sporting an occasional rough edge, Pegasus at once delivers a gentle walnut sweetness, a sourness, tannic bitterness, a buttered popped corn sensation, baking spices and a room-filling creamy smoke that is the very definition of comfort tobacco. It’s a masterful blend worthy of cellaring.

Your thoughts…

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Pegasus is maybe my desert island blend. I finally got my hands on some OJKB a couple of weeks ago so I can't do a fair comparison yet. I'm sure the bulk OJKB I bought will taste different after 6 months in a jar. I think it's really good fresh, but I can tell it will change, just like OJK and Pegasus do with a little age IMHO. My first impressions are I REALLY like it, it's not the same as Pegasus, smoother and sweeter seems fair, and I think it has more nicotine than Pegasus. I've only had a few bowls and haven't done a back to back comparison though, and the age difference between my samples is a factor, but I immediately decided to order more OJKB as soon as I tasted it. It's something I always want to have on hand, along with Pegasus, OJK Original, Three Friars and a few others. Most of my other Must Have blends are from G&H.

Now I need to try Burley Flake #2. I've only had #3. Thanks @Grangerous!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
@Grangerous I'm sure we've probably talked about this, but what's your take on Briar Fox?
I smoked some Briar Fox after we spoke. I enjoyed it but it didn’t really click with me. The crumble-cake easily rubbed out and even after a year was perfect moisture. But It had me really searching for more flavor.

I agree entirely with Burley Flake #2 being a treat. (For me it’s easy - Flakes #1, 3, 4, 5 are eliminated because they are Latakia, Perique or Dark-Fired.) But BF #2 is just more refined- Burley/Virginia. Very tasty. Very smooth and Flakes are fun to stuff or rub out.

Oh and don’t get me wrong! I love OJK Blue. It’s entirely different than Pegasus. I can see it as a tasty Premium version of Carter Hall.

Between my mild OTC and these three premium C&D Blends, I have a Burley to suit anything I might want. Whichever I’m in the mood for.

Last edited:

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Easily someone’s favorite all day blend. If you like Burley, C&D offers so many subtle variations on the theme, you’re bound to find one or more to your liking.
Burley is basically all I smoke on a daily basis. I don't know why I've never tried OJK. I'll definitely include on my next order.

Pegasus of course, is a favorite.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
This post had me do my own experimentation. I smoke Pegasus often, and had some OJKB in a jar somewhere I forgot about.

To keep it simple, Pegasus is definitely more satisfying. Smoking them back to back, the sweetness in OJKB is easily noticeable, and it can get a little hot if puffed too fast. Pegasus has more complexity, which keeps me more interested as I work my way down the bowl.

The tangy flavors in Pegasus are just enough to remind you there are Virginias in it, but it is undoubtedly a burley blend.

While the burley in OJKB is at the forefront, it definitely feels like the Virginias are more than just in the background.

Overall, I would say the complexity in Pegasus is what makes it so satisfying, and easy to load bowl after bowl. OJKB, while a very good blend, will be more of an occasional smoke for me.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’ll have to try OJK blue before I can have a defined opinion. But I will say that there are only two blends I have tried that if I could never smoke again I would be absolutely devastated. One is Sir Walter Raleigh regular and the other is Pegasus. @Grangerous We have very similar tastes but ironically something in granger irritates the heck out of my mouth.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
This post had me do my own experimentation. I smoke Pegasus often, and had some OJKB in a jar somewhere I forgot about.

To keep it simple, Pegasus is definitely more satisfying. Smoking them back to back, the sweetness in OJKB is easily noticeable, and it can get a little hot if puffed too fast. Pegasus has more complexity, which keeps me more interested as I work my way down the bowl.

The tangy flavors in Pegasus are just enough to remind you there are Virginias in it, but it is undoubtedly a burley blend.

While the burley in OJKB is at the forefront, it definitely feels like the Virginias are more than just in the background.

Overall, I would say the complexity in Pegasus is what makes it so satisfying, and easy to load bowl after bowl. OJKB, while a very good blend, will be more of an occasional smoke for me.
I feel exactly as you do. OJKB makes a relaxed change of pace. Going back and forth between my favorites, this includes Granger, helps me appreciate each one for what it has to offer. The comparison brings out the flavors expected from each.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ll have to try OJK blue before I can have a defined opinion. But I will say that there are only two blends I have tried that if I could never smoke again I would be absolutely devastated. One is Sir Walter Raleigh regular and the other is Pegasus. @Grangerous We have very similar tastes but ironically something in granger irritates the heck out of my mouth.
Many on this forum have said the same. The most memorable comment being: “Granger is a tasty mouthful of wasps.”

But, I’ve never found anything any gentler, cooler or smoother. It chemically clicks for me.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
How you feel about Granger is precisely how I feel about Sir Walter Raleigh regular. It chemically clicks for me like no other blend. puffy
Many are of the opinion that Granger and SWR are the same base blend with a different topping. They are almost visually indistinguishable and both are produced by STG. That could be true. Just a matter of which subtle flavoring you prefer. I think SWR has bit more cocoa notes. Granger more of a dark fruit. It’s what you get used to I suppose. But yes, I find SWR to be as smooth for me. Velvet smooth, pun intended.

The Middleton blends, Prince Albert and Carter Hall share some similarity but not so in flavor. Sister blends as are SWR and Granger

On edit: It’s easy to find a C&D Burley that’s to your liking, I suppose based upon your OTC of choice. I consider my C&D favorites my premium and Granger what I reach for to just relax. (80 percent of the time!)

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I ordered a tin of Granger today. I saw a recent You Tube video where the reviewer said that Granger is now produced in Denmark by STG. He said he detected more sweetness in the Denmark blend compared to the blend that was produced by Lane in Georgia. I'm smoking the last bit of some 2014 Granger that was made in Georgia. I'll be anxious to smoke some of the Denmark made Granger when I get it tomorrow to see for myself if there is a difference. The Georgia made Granger I'm smoking is very bitter. I'm hoping that the new version is at least alittle bit sweeter.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
@Grangerous, I sort of see you as the resident expert on all things Granger. I'm wondering if you can provide a quick synopsis on the history of Granger's manufacture, and any changes to the blend or its characteristics resulting from it being picked up by another company.
Myself, I've only tried the Pinkerton and current Scandi versions, and often wonder how they may have differed from the Lane and original L&M versions.

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I ordered a tin of Granger today. I saw a recent You Tube video where the reviewer said that Granger is now produced in Denmark by STG. He said he detected more sweetness in the Denmark blend compared to the blend that was produced by Lane in Georgia. I'm smoking the last bit of some 2014 Granger that was made in Georgia. I'll be anxious to smoke some of the Denmark made Granger when I get it tomorrow to see for myself if there is a difference. The Georgia made Granger I'm smoking is very bitter. I'm hoping that the new version is at least alittle bit sweeter.
Ray, you and I seem to have very similar tastes. Pegasus and OJK Blue. I also recall from a previous thread that you drink sweetened tea to accompany a bowl, correct me if I’m mistaken. — I also find that hot tea with honey really makes Granger’s flavor pop for me. They compliment well. I drink unsweetened black or coffee with just cream with my C&D blends.

As for the 2014 runs I think that was about the year that STG took over or thereabouts. Please let me know what you think of the newest run. — I won’t need to purchase Granger again for quite some time. I’m well cellared. Thanks, Ray

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
@Grangerous, I sort of see you as the resident expert on all things Granger. I'm wondering if you can provide a quick synopsis on the history of Granger's manufacture, and any changes to the blend or its characteristics resulting from it being picked up by another company.
Myself, I've only tried the Pinkerton and current Scandi versions, and often wonder how they may have differed from the Lane and original L&M versions.
Ok. So I’m highjacking my own thread. It’s now about Granger. I’ve certainly not smoked any of the Old Liggett & Myers version but Pinkerton had some real quality control issues, not only with Granger but other popular runs under their banner. Many complained of a plastic taste and some of a play dough note that gave those brands purchased a bad name during that period. STG has done a wonderful job with old time names like Vervet and SWR and of course, Granger. Their product’s flavor, consistency and quality control is second to none. Ray is correct, the STG is a bit sweeter, milder, smoother and less prone to bite. It is less nutty than the Pinkerton, having more of a molasses sweetness. I get no cocoa in the smoking but I do get it from the tin, along with your typical raisin smell. It tastes like chewing tobacco. Don’t ask me how I know. Mind you, we’re talking about burley, the sweetness is not relative to readers accustomed to a Virginia blend’s sweetness. Any sweetness in Granger is a result of its casing or a light topping. As with most of the classic OTC’s, they’re not overt flavor bombs, or complicated, but they certainly can sing their wonderful solitary note for you if smoked properly (gently). It’s what you allow yourself to get used to and I suppose If you spend enough time, there will be fewer surprises and a greater number of satisfying bowls. Less “hit or miss” — I like that.