PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
Yes they normally have the K&P in shields with Peterson underneath. Then Sterling silver and the three marks I describe above. It’s missing the 3 hallmarks.
I also have an old Peterson Stirling, with exactly the same band as you described with no hallmarks. Made in Ireland. I think I determined it was made 1945-1949. Excellent pipe for being such an old geezer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't know airport pipes were a thing. I've never spotted even pipe tobacco in a duty-free store. However, here's a footnote. I doubt it goes back to 1949, but at some point Ireland channeled all its flights through Shannon, supposedly/apparently to funnel some part of the air traveler money through there rather than having it all puddle in Dublin where most travelers eventually went. It was sort of like grocery stores putting the milk in the back of the store so you walk past everything else (and presumably buy some things) on the way to and from. In my trip to Ireland in 2000, we had to fly through Shannon. On my trip in 2005 (I think it was) I went straight to Dublin. Nice pipe!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There used to be a case of Peterson pipes in there for sale... apparently until fairly recently.
I don't think it's there anymore, either.

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
There used to be a case of Peterson pipes in there for sale... apparently until fairly recently.
I don't think it's there anymore, either.
First of all, sweet pipe! The airport in Shannon is one of my favorite smaller airports. I always had the bar ladies put my Guinness in the large coffe cup so I didn’t get messed with (military contracted flights). When I came back through from Afghanistan in 2015, the Pete case was gone

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I always love how fat Peterson's stummels are. Fat bottom stummels make the piping world go round!
this one is extra fat because it's a 307. Shape reminds me of a billiard ball. It's great to hold and smokes wonderfully but almost too big to clench and when I do I seem to drag it on my coat collar etc. If I had a choice in the shape I would have preferred a smaller one but I take what I can get when it comes to old, unsmoked Pete's!

First of all, sweet pipe! The airport in Shannon is one of my favorite smaller airports. I always had the bar ladies put my Guinness in the large coffe cup so I didn’t get messed with (military contracted flights). When I came back through from Afghanistan in 2015, the Pete case was gone
good info! Creepy Santa thanks you.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, hell of a find! Love the bone chimney. Usually Shannon Airport pipes were lower grade Petes. Is the "Premier" similar to the Premiere Selection grade? (one below Deluxe in that era). Sure looks worthy of an upgrade!
I think you are on the money about the missing hallmark and association with the airport/duty free aspect. Looks like someone kept it out of the sun as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.