PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My Sharks are out of the playoffs, a pretty unusual occurrence in this century, but one I suspect will be a bit more common in the next few years at least. So I guess I am left to root against the teams I dislike, namely Vegas and Boston. I suppose it would be nice to see a Canadian team win for the first time in ages.

Hockey is a.fine sport, but a clear #4 for me. During the regular season, Basketball, Football and Baseball usually take priority with my sports watching, but I enjoy catching games from time to time. The Stanley Cup playoffs are usually a great product, and for years they filled the void of playoffs in the spring, as my Golden State Warriors were a perennial doormat. It was because of how bad the Warriors were that I learned to never take success for granted, even if a team doesn't win it all. The Sharks never closed the deal over the past 20 years, and had some embarrassing early exits, but they also had a pretty awesome run of success as annual contenders and kept hockey interesting into May most years. I'll always appreciate the era now that it looks over as hell.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Looks like I'm the only Oilers fan around here? Fair enough. Living in Ontario I'm used to it.

My buddy is as well, living in Ontario. He's been on a roller coaster that's for sure.
Roller coaster indeed. Vomiting included (especially watching them on the power play).

Edmonton is the last Canadian team to honorably win the cup, back in 1990. And sans Gretzky, no less! I guess I'd be okay with them breaking the spell, but the Habs must always lose! :mad:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't care who wins, as long as it's an American team. May the Canada Cup Curse continue! (It's punishment for the dishonorable method by which Montreal obtained their '93 "championship").

I'm a Kings fan, so I'm used to caring slightly less about hockey come May... :col:
The first time I remember getting into hockey and watched it semi -regularly, it was that season and I was a Kings fan. I guess I was 10 years old. Liked them mainly because their uniforms looked so much like the Raiders' and they had Wayne F'n Gretzky, and Barry Melrose's amazing hair... I was bummed when they lost to MTL, and grew to hate and respect Patrick Roy.

Then my grandpa was like, "Hey, you know we have a team here, right?" and then I became a Sharks fan over the next few years and was duty bound to hate the Kings.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
The first time I remember getting into hockey and watched it semi -regularly, it was that season and I was a Kings fan. I guess I was 10 years old. Liked them mainly because their uniforms looked so much like the Raiders' and they had Wayne F'n Gretzky, and Barry Melrose's amazing hair... I was bummed when they lost to MTL, and grew to hate and respect Patrick Roy.

Then my grandpa was like, "Hey, you know we have a team here, right?" and then I became a Sharks fan over the next few years and was duty bound to hate the Kings.
Ah yes, the infamous Melrose mullet! Or the Mellet, as it was called back then. As for P.R....please don't even mention that name in my presence!! And it was just another round of terror in '01 when he was with Colorado. Ugh. I think I'm ill now.

I know, it's a requirement to hate them, just like the Dodgers. I don't hold it against you, and I don't hate the Sharks, though; I'd rather they win 10 cups than the Anaheim D*cks win another. It's bad enough they even have one! Ugh, illness is increasing... :cry:

My mom's from Pittsburgh, so I guess I'll join the couple others on here in rooting for them, even though I hate to see the networks' collective east coast bias get rewarded for the umpteenth time. But seriously, just keep the Habs off the cup in perpetuity, and I'm a happy guy. Not to mention less ill... puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.