PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
On again, off again with those darn Sharks. Fair weather fan, I.

I got season tickets for their inaugural year----at the COW PALACE!

I was fun, and my son then ten, loved it. The fans didn't know what was icing and what was not, so the cheering was a bit uneven. Now I imagine the fans are up to speed, but I haven't been to the Shark Tank in over ten years. And no plans to go anytime soon.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Ah yes, the infamous Melrose mullet! Or the Mellet, as it was called back then. As for P.R....please don't even mention that name in my presence!! And it was just another round of terror in '01 when he was with Colorado. Ugh. I think I'm ill now.

I know, it's a requirement to hate them, just like the Dodgers. I don't hold it against you, and I don't hate the Sharks, though; I'd rather they win 10 cups than the Anaheim D*cks win another. It's bad enough they even have one! Ugh, illness is increasing... :cry:

My mom's from Pittsburgh, so I guess I'll join the couple others on here in rooting for them, even though I hate to see the networks' collective east coast bias get rewarded for the umpteenth time. But seriously, just keep the Habs off the cup in perpetuity, and I'm a happy guy. Not to mention less ill... puffy
I know what you mean with that sense of honorable/ dishonorable victories. I will always hate the Cleveland Cavaliers a bit for Lebron James instigating a fight with Draymond Green then "calling the cops" when Draymond responded. I have no such beef with the Toronto Raptors who resorted to no BS to beat the Warriors a few years later. I feel that way towards the Penguins who beat the Sharks 4 out of 6, fair and square, on the ice in the SC Finals a few years back. The better team won.

Still, I'd like to see some new blood.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
On again, off again with those darn Sharks. Fair weather fan, I.

I got season tickets for their inaugural year----at the COW PALACE!

I was fun, and my son then ten, loved it. The fans didn't know what was icing and what was not, so the cheering was a bit uneven. Now I imagine the fans are up to speed, but I haven't been to the Shark Tank in over ten years. And no plans to go anytime soon.
Wow, the old Cow Palace! I remember that...Ray Whitney, Sandis Ozolinsh...and Arturs Irbe in net! '93 was their last season there. They gave out souvenir t-shirts at their last home game there (against the Kings, funny enough) which had crying cows on them. Those were the days when it was anyone's guess which would be higher, a goalie's IQ, or his goals-against average!

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I miss the old, more physical brand of hockey. That said, I'm glad the Avs made it to the playoffs again.
I miss it too. I often watch old snippets of games from the 90s. Unbelievable what you could get away with back then. Hooking, slashing, boarding...goalies charging up the slot to break up a breakaway, you name it! And during the playoffs? Forget about any penalties, unless decapitation occurred. And the fights! McSorley vs. Probert. Domi vs. Kocur. Grimson vs. the entire Minnesota North Stars bench. I could go on and on, but that's a fine way to get this great thread locked. :LOL:

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Ah yes, the infamous Melrose mullet! Or the Mellet, as it was called back then. As for P.R....please don't even mention that name in my presence!! And it was just another round of terror in '01 when he was with Colorado. Ugh. I think I'm ill now.

I know, it's a requirement to hate them, just like the Dodgers. I don't hold it against you, and I don't hate the Sharks, though; I'd rather they win 10 cups than the Anaheim D*cks win another. It's bad enough they even have one! Ugh, illness is increasing... :cry:

My mom's from Pittsburgh, so I guess I'll join the couple others on here in rooting for them, even though I hate to see the networks' collective east coast bias get rewarded for the umpteenth time. But seriously, just keep the Habs off the cup in perpetuity, and I'm a happy guy. Not to mention less ill... puffy
That was also the McSorely illegal curve year too....

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
@CoffeeAndBourbon why must you torment me??!? Aaaaargh!! My childhood nightmare, going strong for nearly 30 years now. Like I said, no Canadian team has won it since, so you've got to wonder...
No taunt intended - I'm sure you know that :)
Only a matter of time and the cup will return home...
That had to be an inside tip off for sure. No coach would take a gamble that big...

• Love
Reactions: Servant King

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
GO PENS!!!!!

What I love about the penguins is it's usually win it all, or dump city.

If we aren't going to win, I almost prefer dump city, so I can watch the entirety of the playoffs stress free.

Jarry sure sucked in game 1.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My Sharks are out of the playoffs, a pretty unusual occurrence in this century, but one I suspect will be a bit more common in the next few years at least. So I guess I am left to root against the teams I dislike, namely Vegas and Boston. I suppose it would be nice to see a Canadian team win for the first time in ages.

Hockey is a.fine sport, but a clear #4 for me. During the regular season, Basketball, Football and Baseball usually take priority with my sports watching, but I enjoy catching games from time to time. The Stanley Cup playoffs are usually a great product, and for years they filled the void of playoffs in the spring, as my Golden State Warriors were a perennial doormat. It was because of how bad the Warriors were that I learned to never take success for granted, even if a team doesn't win it all. The Sharks never closed the deal over the past 20 years, and had some embarrassing early exits, but they also had a pretty awesome run of success as annual contenders and kept hockey interesting into May most years. I'll always appreciate the era now that it looks over as hell.
The sharks have been a truly fun team to watch for the last 15 years. As a penguins fan I thoroughly enjoyed watching them in 2016 ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I miss it too. I often watch old snippets of games from the 90s. Unbelievable what you could get away with back then. Hooking, slashing, boarding...goalies charging up the slot to break up a breakaway, you name it! And during the playoffs? Forget about any penalties, unless decapitation occurred. And the fights! McSorley vs. Probert. Domi vs. Kocur. Grimson vs. the entire Minnesota North Stars bench. I could go on and on, but that's a fine way to get this great thread locked. :LOL:
qAKuL4zoaqi9ei4Fiat0nVjszGp5r_ppweyzymkZptQ.jpg

AND THE PLAYOFF VERSION:

4093950406_8cb48d5493_o.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Nope. My team is not even in it. Although home team is. Who cares! Rangers still have like 30 more years to prove themselves. What? Took 'em 54 years last time? It's hard for me to cheer on the Canes. Who freaking plays hockey in south? It's like Hawaiian Curling team. Hope they don't have one.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.