PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Hahaha, as long as his captain comes with him we'd be in good shape!
Hey, I've seen stranger things happen (cough cough Chris Chelios cough cough). He beat Hodgkin's; beating the Isles should pale in comparison. Pair him with Jagr (provided you can pry him away from the Euro league), and the Cup is yours. But Bowman needs to coach!

This thread has degenerated into my own personal memory lane, FYI...

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hey, I've seen stranger things happen (cough cough Chris Chelios cough cough). He beat Hodgkin's; beating the Isles should pale in comparison. Pair him with Jagr (provided you can pry him away from the Euro league), and the Cup is yours. But Bowman needs to coach!

This thread has degenerated into my own personal memory lane, FYI...
Haha if only! I would call them the good old days, which they certainly were, but 3 cups in the last 11 years hasnt been so bad either.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Okay, I need a rules interpretation...

I’m watching this Boston/Washington game and I’m wondering if it’s possible for both teams to lose. That’s my desired result, but I can’t find it in the rules anywhere that it’s possible...
I think the only way that can happen is for one of those old fashioned bench-clearing brawls to break out. You know what I'm talking about, when everyone's fighting everyone else (including the goalies), and the refs are completely overwhelmed, and the fans are chucking debris onto the ice, and the organist is playing "Why Can't We Be Friends? on loop. So many penalty minutes are assessed that eventually neither team has anyone left to play.

Something like that would be pretty cool. It doesn't even have to be restricted to this series.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I always tell people “If you’re not a hockey fan; watch playoff hockey and you will be.”
This year’s initial offerings have been great, especially since the realignment really bred familiarity and contempt. B’s/Caps has been great, Pens/Isles game 1 was really good, Vegas/Minnie was exciting, and I think the best of the bunch was the FLA/Tampa game 1.... chippy, hard hitting, some unbelievable saves, and a fight right to the finish. Really gonna enjoy watching that series.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I think the only way that can happen is for one of those old fashioned bench-clearing brawls to break out. You know what I'm talking about, when everyone's fighting everyone else (including the goalies), and the refs are completely overwhelmed, and the fans are chucking debris onto the ice, and the organist is playing "Why Can't We Be Friends? on loop. So many penalty minutes are assessed that eventually neither team has anyone left to play.

Something like that would be pretty cool. It doesn't even have to be restricted to this series.
Never happen. Just look at the Sens/Canadiens series from around 2015 or 2016. Theyhad more guys in the penalty boxes than on the benches. I also remember back in the day of the Nordiques, they played either Edmonton or Montreal, and it was just chaos. Heck, anyone remember Johnny Buyck and Phil Esposito going into the stands and fighting the Rangers fans?

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Never happen. Just look at the Sens/Canadiens series from around 2015 or 2016. Theyhad more guys in the penalty boxes than on the benches. I also remember back in the day of the Nordiques, they played either Edmonton or Montreal, and it was just chaos. Heck, anyone remember Johnny Buyck and Phil Esposito going into the stands and fighting the Rangers fans?
Besides.... B’s just buried the winner???????????????????????????????

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I miss it too. I often watch old snippets of games from the 90s. Unbelievable what you could get away with back then. Hooking, slashing, boarding...goalies charging up the slot to break up a breakaway, you name it! And during the playoffs? Forget about any penalties, unless decapitation occurred. And the fights! McSorley vs. Probert. Domi vs. Kocur. Grimson vs. the entire Minnesota North Stars bench. I could go on and on, but that's a fine way to get this great thread locked. :LOL:
Domi vs Probert, a lot.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Zarley Zalapski (may he rest in peace) was a pretty good name, but there are others that come to mind. Miroslav Satan is pretty good, although he should've played for New Jersey, considering. Zdeno Ciger is another good one. When Esa Pirnes played for the Kings, longtime announcer Bob Miller said "Penis" by accident. That was pretty cool.

Troy Crowder vs. Tony Twist was one of the best fights I ever saw. Mid 90s, I think. Probert vs. Coxe is hands down the best, though. Early to mid 90s.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Zarley Zalapski (may he rest in peace) was a pretty good name, but there are others that come to mind. Miroslav Satan is pretty good, although he should've played for New Jersey, considering. Zdeno Ciger is another good one. When Esa Pirnes played for the Kings, longtime announcer Bob Miller said "Penis" by accident. That was pretty cool.

Troy Crowder vs. Tony Twist was one of the best fights I ever saw. Mid 90s, I think. Probert vs. Coxe is hands down the best, though. Early to mid 90s.
Zemgus Girgensons, Ron Tuggnutt, Bill Quakenbush, Luca Cunti, I can go all day.

• Haha
Reactions: Servant King

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA

YouTube: Bruins Climb Into Stands And Fight Fans

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Not sure what this is referencing, but if you’re suggesting Zarley Zalapski wasn’t the greatest player of all time then......you’re right, but greatest name of all time? Probably.
Just a coincidence that Eddie Johnston went from Pittsburgh to Hartford, Pittsburg was a failing franchise on the brink, and their FORMER GM manages to trade the face of the franchise and hall of famer, Francis, plus a Dman That SHOULD be in the HOF, Samuelson for three scrubs. And then they take good old Eddie back after he’s canned in Hartford, as a big thank you for the back to back Cups.

But hopefully we can all agree that Bettman is the WORST Comminssioner of a professional sports league, in HISTORY.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Just a coincidence that Eddie Johnston went from Pittsburgh to Hartford, Pittsburg was a failing franchise on the brink, and their FORMER GM manages to trade the face of the franchise and hall of famer, Francis, plus a Dman That SHOULD be in the HOF, Samuelson for three scrubs. And then they take good old Eddie back after he’s canned in Hartford, as a big thank you for the back to back Cups.

But hopefully we can all agree that Bettman is the WORST Comminssioner of a professional sports league, in HISTORY.
Haha I thought that may be what you were talking about. To be fair Cullen was hardly a scrub at that point in his career. If I recall correctly he had a couple seasons with more points than GP just prior to that trade but I may be wrong.

Then he of course took a big greasy pig shit after the trade, but noone has a crystal ball. But yeah, in hindsight, it definitely worked out for PIT.

And yes, Bettman sucks ass.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
No taunt intended - I'm sure you know that :)
Only a matter of time and the cup will return home...
That had to be an inside tip off for sure. No coach would take a gamble that big...
Definitely an inside tip, and certainly not McSorley's fault. Montreal had a power play with 6 minutes left in the 3rd, you'd think they would have called for it then. So much more power play room 5 on 3 than there is 6 on 4 with an empty net. Amazing how even 28 years and two championships don't fully bury the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.