PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I like obsidian oil. I’ve used it for a couple of years now. When cleaning up an estate stem I will let it soak for 30mins as the final stage after micromesh pads. However I’ve found that I probably use the residual oil on its dedicated buffing cloth more. Every now and then I’ll get it out and wipe some stems with it. Mainly the ones that haven’t seen some action for more than a few weeks. As mentioned already by others, I’ve found using a jewellers cloth after a smoke to makes a huge difference

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Plus one for obsidian. Can I add for those unfamiliar, when you read “soak” for xx minutes that means apply only a drop for the entire stem and leave it on for xx minutes. Ain’t no soaking in a bowl.

Reactions: Briar Lee

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Let us know how the Ibepens works please.
I've used the Ibepen products (Stem Deoxidiser, Very Fine and Fine Stem Polish and Briar Restoration Balm) for a couple of years. Works well for me. Read about the product(s) on Rebornpipes.

The Deoxidiser is a thick gel. Just soak the stem(s) in the stuff (I place them in a small ziplock bag) for 1-3 days depending on the degree of oxidisation. Rinse off. Polish the stem with the Stem Polish, if desired. Otherwise apply Obsidian Oil and polish. The Deoxidiser can be re-used several times.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a paid advertorial :)

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Guys,

I can now say that Obsidian Oil does what mineral oil cannot do.

Here is a picture of the stems I just deoxidized with the Ibepens product, after being thoroughly rubbed down with lots of mineral oil:

Stems after mineral.jpg

And here they are after being subsequently wiped down with Obsidian Oil:

Stems after obsidian.jpg

These phone pics in poor basement lighting do not begin to do justice to the difference. So, if you cannot tell, the blackness of the post-Obsidian Oil stems is magnificently deeper and richer. Remarkably "blacker."

Here's a fascinating thing: The Obsidian Oil is not tinted black! It's not tinted at all. I had just assumed that it would be black. But this clear substance leaves the stems looking like... well, obsidian.

It also smells marvelous. Maybe something in the sweet-spice family? Or an exotic, near-Eastern anointing oil. One of the magi may have brought a vial of this to the first Epiphany.

If you like what mineral oil does to your stems, you'll love what Obsidian Oil does!