PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This evening I’ve taken a half a dozen pipes and used obsidian oil on the stems.

When I was a kid I spit fire wood using a double bitted axe until the first time somebody showed me a proper splitting maul. I felt stupid having used that double bitted axe when there was something so much more wonderful to split wood I couldn’t imagine it.

I feel exactly as dumb having used olive oil and steel wool to clean pipe stems instead of obsidian oil. There’s no comparison. Obsidian oil is pure magic to clean stems. Rub on with paper towel, leave 30 minutes, buff with soft cloth.

You’ll never use anything else again to clean stems, I promise.

I won’t know how to act with all these shiny black stems on my pipes.

It’s about $15 on eBay.

I liked the first little bottle so much I ordered a second.

There’s still plenty left, so get your own if you haven’t already.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Olive (or mineral) oil and some abrasive like steel wool or a pencil eraser, and elbow grease is what I’ve used for years.

My pipes all had black, clean stems before, with an oil shine.

There’s some magic added ingredient in that tiny $15 bottle of Obsidian oil that makes them black as a black cat in a coal mine at midnight.

I am rather prone to obsession over new discoveries so I used my wife last night, for a second opinion.

She looked at my pipes I was going to clean, and then I sat about five stems aside and gave them a thirty minute soak in Obsidian oil. Then I polished them with a rag and showed her.

She said, Oh wow those are all as pretty as that one big new pipe you claim you only paid a hundred dollars for.

Which hundred dollar pipe?

She said that one with the pretty white spot. Are you sure, that’s all it cost?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have some obsidian oil, but I have only ever used it once. I can't remember why I never used it more now. Seems like it had a bitter taste. Am I wrong on that?
I've been using Renaissance Wax.

Maybe mineral oil or olive oil if left on for thirty minutes would work better than they do, but thirty minutes with just a few drops on a paper towel of Obsidian oil and a buff with a rag is simply miraculous.

Provided you buff it off there’s no taste at all afterwards.

Try it again, and let it soak thirty minutes.

A few drops will do several stems.

Let us know, how it works.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
This evening I’ve taken a half a dozen pipes and used obsidian oil on the stems.

When I was a kid I spit fire wood using a double bitted axe until the first time somebody showed me a proper splitting maul. I felt stupid having used that double bitted axe when there was something so much more wonderful to split wood I couldn’t imagine it.

I feel exactly as dumb having used olive oil and steel wool to clean pipe stems instead of obsidian oil. There’s no comparison. Obsidian oil is pure magic to clean stems. Rub on with paper towel, leave 30 minutes, buff with soft cloth.

You’ll never use anything else again to clean stems, I promise.

I won’t know how to act with all these shiny black stems on my pipes.

It’s about $15 on eBay.

I liked the first little bottle so much I ordered a second.

There’s still plenty left, so get your own if you haven’t already.
I to remember discovering a spltting maul. It was circa 1980 and after installing a wood stove. What I didn't learn for nearly 20 years was the wonderful nature of an open wood shed and 20 percent seasoned wood and how it performs in a soap stone.

Best wood heat resource ever, A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - woodheat.org home

I tend to equate pipe smoking with wood heat use 'til this day.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I have some obsidian oil, but I have only ever used it once. I can't remember why I never used it more now. Seems like it had a bitter taste. Am I wrong on that?
I've been using Renaissance Wax.
I've never given it a taste test(!), but the clean, unoxidized, stems that I've treated with it does not taste bitter.

I oil, wipe off, and wax.

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
So I wanted to ask this, figure this is a good place, how often to you remove or change your rubber bit on your stem. I just cleaned my pipes and I left it on. But I am curious what others suggest when cleaning there stems.

Reactions: Briar Lee